Popular Tags: [View All]
James Allen
Australia
Thornton
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a feel for what effect, if any, the release of Android: Netrunner will have on prices for the original cards?

For sentimental reasons, I'm not quite sure that I could part with my collection of cards from the original game but they do seem to be going for quite a bit on ebay these days. I suppose my question is: With the new release on the way, are those days numbered? If I do want to make any money on these, do I need to act quickly?

(I wasn't sure whether to post this under the new game or the old so please accept my apology if it's in the wrong place)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
I'd bet classic prices are definitely going to spike just prior to android release, as those frothing for the game are looking to get a taste from the original. So if you're looking for max profit, i'd start the auction in early September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been monitoring Netrunner on Ebay for years. The prices have gone down, so have sales.
The people like myself who've been buying in the past, aren't anymore.

The marketplace here is chock full of sellers and they don't seem to be selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Head-to-head CCGs that are in-print have very strong network externalities. The price for the old cards will only drop, and I would suspect rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rktboy wrote:
Does anyone have a feel for what effect, if any, the release of Android: Netrunner will have on prices for the original cards?

For sentimental reasons, I'm not quite sure that I could part with my collection of cards from the original game but they do seem to be going for quite a bit on ebay these days. I suppose my question is: With the new release on the way, are those days numbered? If I do want to make any money on these, do I need to act quickly?

(I wasn't sure whether to post this under the new game or the old so please accept my apology if it's in the wrong place)

Interesting question, but not one that anybody can give you a definitive answer on.

My personal guess, based on a decent understand of economic trends and watching various markets make this transition, is that demand will be lessened with the introduction of a well regarded substitute good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Rokkr above. The NR market isn't very active - plenty of sellers with high prices, hardly any buyers. There are NR commons I have 20 or 30 copies of up on ebay for USD5 - but they're still worthless in practice (maybe USD 0.05 each /lol).

The majority of buyers seem to be "one of each card" collectors who have never even played the game.

As A:NR takes over, the "collector for resale" people will sell out and disappear. Genuine collectors will top up and disappear one by one as they get complete sets together. I wouldn't expect many new new ones.

I think players will keep buying, but not at crazy prices, because they are accustomed to using proxies for exotic cards. Assuming A:NR continues to be developed, the number of NR players looking to buy cards will slowly fall.

If I'm right, the market won't disappear, but the trend will be a steady decline in prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, when assessing whether things are still selling (and the price they're selling at) don't fall into the trap of assuming that E-bay 'buy it now' prices represent actual trading values. Lots of those cards/lots will have been sitting there for years (being endlessly reposted) and represent wildly optimistic assessments of price that will never be met.

My advice would be to put an auction up sooner rather than later, set a reserve, then see if the market is there. Worst case scenario is that you don't get the offer you want, invoke the reserve, then reassess how best to divest yourself of the cards (or not, if you don't feel people are offering what you're after).

But the long story short is that prices for old netrunner are probably going to fall over time. People just don't need the acquire scarce old cards to play the game any more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...I've got a long box full of cards.

Anyone want them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game turns out to be wildly successful and picks up lots of new fans, I was wondering if people might want old Netrunner cards as a sort of retro-cool option to compliment their new collections.

Not saying this would keep the prices up as high as they have been, but it could generate a whole lot of new interest in the old game that wasn't there before simply because new gamers weren't necessarily aware that vintage Netrunner even existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me sentimental but I'm planning on keeping my original Netrunner cards. Will be fun to have the vintage version on hand to show off to people. A proof of old school-ness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems here in the UK that the vast majority of NR sales are retailers trying to sell single rares.

As such, the prices aren't changing - they're still listing rares at between, say, £2.95 and £10 a pop. They haven't been selling for the last year (that I've been watching), and probably won't in the future. I guess they'll just sit there.

There's one job lot of 800 cards on ebay.co.uk, currently at about a fiver (four days to go). In the past I might have bid £25 or something. I won't now. Be interesting to see what they go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Whisman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Shawn, I'd love them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sold the remainder of my cards last month, as two lots - one for the base set and the other for Proteus cards. The prices are already dropping for most cards, but the harder to find Proteus and especially the low print run Classic cards still fetch good prices.

Interestingly, I sold an opened Chessex Data Pack (bits and accessories) for almost $45. I would say if you want to sell them for the best price, do it in a hurry. It looks like the FFG version will be successful and will likely reprint most of the cards.

Listing 50 items a month, at any start price, is now free on Ebay - so set the opening at the lowest price you would accept and see what happens. I would not use a reserve, as it tends to limit watchers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
Interestingly, I sold an opened Chessex Data Pack (bits and accessories) for almost $45.

I have been hauling one of those around in my box of cards for 15+ years. I guess I should unload it to offset my purchase of the new set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steamrunner wrote:
bclayj wrote:
Interestingly, I sold an opened Chessex Data Pack (bits and accessories) for almost $45.

I have been hauling one of those around in my box of cards for 15+ years. I guess I should unload it to offset my purchase of the new set.

That was my thought exactly steamrunner, and it ended up working nicely. I got two base sets (almost) out of it. With the other cards I sold I think I can buy at least a years worth of new Netrunner, and this time more friends will be ready to play the game with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.