Subject: Most Wanted Reprints from v 1.0 limited set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Myck's Most Wanted Reprints (v1.0 edition)

While I know we've covered this in the past, that was before we had full spoilers . Here are the cards from v 1.0 that I hope to see come back in one form or another. I've consciously avoided ICE and breakers due to the significant changes in economy for ANR. However, I think many of these could be brought back as is or with minor changes.

Broker--A favorite of all sealed deck players. I love how the runner can vary the bits/credits efficiency of the Broker. It rewards a little patience while still paying off in a timely fashion. It also has great situational value as it can allow a runner to gain a whole slew of bits in one quick action at a pivotal moment.
Zetatech Software Installer--It might be overpowered given Noise's ability but I always loved how this card can accelerate a program-oriented deck.
The Short Circuit--Another sealed deck staple. FFG wants to make deck search more expensive in ANR, so perhaps the install cost should increase. Still, it is such a beloved basic staple that it only feels right that it should eventually be reprinted.
Mantis, Fixer at Large--Well-balanced, yet super helpful.
If you want it done right--An obvious choice for reprinting if there ever was one.
MIT West Tier--Opens up the game for some very interesting strategies. Maybe not right for the first few expansions, but definitely worth bringing out when the meta needs shaking up.
Social Engineering--Great mini-game that had Richard Garfield's fingerprints all over it. I am a big fan of the mini-game cards. I'd argue for bringing back at least a few as they're an important part of the classic NR experience.
Synchronized Attack on HQ--Gives the corp a taste of its own medicine. Would fit well in either Anarch or Criminal
Valu-Pak Software Bundle--I loved this card in sealed deck play. Nothing quite like installing a full kit of icebreakers with just one action. In constructed, though, it lended itself to some really cheesy decks, so it might warrant a slight power reduction. I'd love to see it come back in one form or another.
MRAM Chip(s)--Runners need a way to boost hand size, especially as more and better damage cards become available to the corp.
Nasuko Cycle--Runners need something else to avoid those Data Raven and Breaking News tags besides just Decoy.
Karl de Veres, Corporate Stooge--Karl is great because he rewards runners for staying aggressive, instilling good habits in noobs.
Restrictive Net Zoning--Good counter for the Nisei Mk II fat server strategy and also complements the Anarch and Criminal central fort attack strategies.

AI Chief Financial Officer--Tough to pull off, but counters certain runner strategies quite well. Offers an interesting choice for decks that are particularly susceptible to Noise and/or milling (if it ever becomes viable).
Corporate Downsizing--Let's face it, sometimes you get unlucky and draw way too many agenda. This card offers a much needed solution.
Data Fort Reclamation--Very well-balanced and fun agenda. It always seemed like there were some really neat decks that could be built around this but it never seemed to reach its potential in the original.
Main-Office Relocation--Basic but universally useful. Would make a nice neutral agenda.
Datapool® by Zetatech--Just begging to join the NBN card pool.
BBS Whispering Campaign--Classic, straightforward bit-gainer that seems obvious for reprint.
Chicago Branch--Well-balanced fast advance option.
Department of Truth Enhancement--Great bit gainer that forces some interesting choices from both players when it hits the table.
I Got a Rock--The flavor of this card is just too awesome for it not to be reprinted.
Information Laundering--Great card for calculated gambling. It could be very lucrative or it could be a huge waste of time if the runner gets to it in time. Also allowed for some good bluffing.
Newsgroup Taunting--Probably should be reimagined, but I love the idea of a card that represents the corp trolling the runner.
Pacifica Regional AI--A well-balanced fast advance option that works for more than just fast advance. Good bluffing as a bonus.
Vapor Ops--Yet another well-balanced fast advance option. Good bluffing as a bonus.
Dr. Dreff--Not very efficient, but it adds drama to runs and allows the corp to pop up a surprise counter to stimhack or other situational credit gain for a big run.
Namatoki Plaza--Would be overpowered until the runner has better ways of addressing ambushes head on. Still, I love how many strategies this card opens up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Why the Nasuko Cycle and not the Vintage Camaro?
I much prefer the Camaro. It's slower, but cheaper and a ton of tags is already straining your economy without paying three to get rid of them right away.

I'd love to see some of the cards that allow you to search your stack, but I'm not certain we'll get them. The OOF cards, that colour a deck so much, will be so easy to get your hands on, that search cards might actually break the faction feel quite a lot.

But MAN I'd like to see broker come back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hooper
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dreff is a really fun card and great when towards the end of the game the runner can pretty much do as they choose (as they've built up some credits and have all their breakers out).

My first ever game as Corp against an experienced runner I used Dreff to throw up a Colonel Failure (strength 6 with trash a program and 2 end the run subroutines I think). Can't remember if I won or not but seeing the runner's thoughts as they switched from 'Yes! Got that lone agenda' to 'Ooops! I'm going to need a whole new set of programs' was pretty fun

I'm going to need to actually play A:NR to see what else is 'missing' though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Runners' Conference : the combo with Aesop's Pawnshop makes it awesome. It would be too good in an unlimited format, but with only 3 copies I think it's ok.

Silicon Saloon Franchise : I want it for the awesome combo with Crash Everett, Inventive Fixer.

False Echo : another favorite of mine.

Junkyard BBS : no need to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too lazy to do a link (!) but City Surveillance - just because I've never seen one, or seen one for sale

ETA: I'd also like to see Silver Lining Recovery Protocol and Falsified Transaction Experts on the Corp Side.

For the runner, I like the list in the OP. I think a breaker like Dropp is interesting to have in the deck, Startup Immolator provides interesting choices. And, of course, the Armoured Fridge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
I've consciously avoided ICE and breakers due to the significant changes in economy for ANR. However, I think many of these could be brought back as is or with minor changes.

That's strange, because I feel that due to factions there's a current lack of mystery re: ICE and breakers right now. More ICE and breakers would be a Good Thing. Bring THAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
More high influence ICE and breakers! also, more neutral agendas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I'm thinking that World Domination would be a good one (maybe to go in a Weyland card pool?) in order to allow you to put some real teeth into your traps - Does that card have so many counters because it's a trap that will flatline me, or is he going to win off of one agenda?

Edit: D'oh, I don't think that was from the 1.0 set... still want it devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Top Runners' Conference : the combo with Aesop's Pawnshop makes it awesome. It would be too good in an unlimited format, but with only 3 copies I think it's ok.

I thought about TRC because it was neat in moderation. However, I remember it serving as a backbone for some really cheesy "ignore the corp for multiple turns while I build this strangler kit" decks. I also think it promotes bad habits in noobs (e.g. "lemme wait just one more turn before running") and there are going to be a lot of noobs playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Runner:
Microtech AI Interface Cut cards accessed from R&D the bottom of R&D - a good finisher for an R&D "deep dig" Stack, and allows R&D Attack Stacks to run more than once per turn
Shredder Uplink Protocol: Edit: removed because it's in the Core Set as "Sneakdoor Beta" - thx Medic_gbg

Corp:
Rez ICE for free, but it self-destructs later. These can't be used during a run, but they still disrupt Runner's ability to plan
Rent-to-Own Contract
Emergency Rig

I'd also like to see Runner cards for a TagMe Stack, but Tagging and Credit Generation have changed a lot so they'd need to be redesigned.

Most of all I'd like to see Hidden Resources - Runner "Event" cards which are played face-down, and trashed when used. These were in the Proteus Expansion, so OT for this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:
I thought about Top Runners' Conference because it was neat in moderation. However, I remember it serving as a backbone for some really cheesy "ignore the corp for multiple turns while I build this strangler kit" decks. I also think it promotes bad habits in noobs (e.g. "lemme wait just one more turn before running") and there are going to be a lot of noobs playing this game.

Sure. It's certainly not a card to put in a core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Björk
Sweden
Halmstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:
Runner:
Shredder Uplink Protocol[/url] Run Archives, but access cards from HQ - unbalances Corp's plan by forcing them to ICE Archives

Already in the Core set: Sneakdoor Beta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
I'm thinking that World Domination would be a good one
Urks, I always hated that one.

What I'd mainly like to see on the Corp side are more 'traps', particularly advanceable ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hooper
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

What I'd mainly like to see on the Corp side are more 'traps', particularly advanceable ones.

And then you can use Falsified-Transactions Expert - lets you move advancement counters around. For example from a trap that the runner has perhaps found out about to an agenda which you can then score straight out of your hand all in one turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Falsified Transaction Expert looks like a Weyland card, perhaps with an, only in this data fort clause to balance it for the new game, especially as Weyland doesn't have any traps of their own as of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.