Subject: So Fluff Wise What is Happening? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So I was playing this game with my friends and they started to ask questions about what the cards and stuff were doing "in the game world" to cause these effects.

Like they asked why do armies re summon in places instead of marching places? And why can the demons both simultaneously die.

I answered that I think the demons are actually just rallying a big army of followers by spreading their corruption and when they are re summoned they appear in a new place through warp magic and rally a new army of crazed followers, and that the reason demons both die from combat is that the accompanying armies manage to kill them after their leading demon dies and then scatter soon after.

Then they asked things like what is corruption actually doing, and why does it stop you from getting domination points? And I said I think that corruption is the percentage of the population affected by that chaos god's insanity, and when it gets ruined that means that the majority of the population has gone insane and you can't get any more domination because there is no additional amounts of that force to feed on.

And they they asked why the card electors sue for peace stops combat, like why would the chaos gods listen to electors? And they asked about what exactly the skaven card 'screaming bells" is doing, and I had no idea, so i thought I might ask you guys and see if you guys have some fun answers for what the cards and stuff are doing in the game fluff wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you were punked. Why would you ask silly questions when you can play such a wonderful game that drops with theme ?

I'd tell them to use their imagination. That is what theme does. If they want obvious answers, they are not the crowd to play games like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could blow up (almost) any thematic game this way. Do they adopt the same hyper-realistic approach to movies? Do they ask similar questions when playing Monopoly or any other game they happen to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
Do they ask similar questions when playing Monopoly or any other game they happen to like?

This sounds like a fun Geeklist...thematic interpretations of games we've known and never scrutinized. Indeed the last time I was in Atlantic City I remembered circling the city in confusion waiting either to get in trouble with the law or having money picked off me by me landing in the wrong space.

Yes, Chaos in the Old World is a fantastic game. I agree that it sounds like you were being given a hard time by your friends. Ask them how they construe the cards if their imaginations are so flexible. Have fun with it; that's what theme is for. If it truly is gamebreaking for them not to understand Warhammer electoral politics, the game perhaps is not for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Umbratus wrote:
I think you were punked. Why would you ask silly questions when you can play such a wonderful game that drops with theme ?

I'd tell them to use their imagination. That is what theme does. If they want obvious answers, they are not the crowd to play games like these.

well they weren't being rude or anything about it, it was just fun conversation we had as we played the game and we all thought it was kind of fun to think about.

Like our group played clue one time and we had a bunch of fun with the idea that the characters were accusing each other of murder while being in different parts of the house, so we imagined scenarios where each of the characters would lean out of the doorway and yell really loud asking if someone murdered someone and then the accused leaning back out and yelling "NO"

Thinking about the thematic things that different rules in boardgames do is something my group loves to do, like the old man biting a Mi Go to death in Mansions of Madness with artery slicing death dentures.

And I just thought that perhaps people who were more familiar with the warhammer lore would be able to give better ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
alex352 wrote:
Do they ask similar questions when playing Monopoly or any other game they happen to like?

This sounds like a fun Geeklist...thematic interpretations of games we've known and never scrutinized.

Neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
oh if someone makes that can I get a link to it? I love geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
oh if someone makes that can I get a link to it? I love geeklists.

DIBS!!! I haven't ever been able to make a Geeklist as all the good ideas seem to have been taken. It does seem awfully close to the "Logical Inconsistencies..." list but I might go forth with it soon.

Billy, it does sound now like you guys were having more fun with the theme than I thought at first. For what it's worth, I read corruption exactly the same as you do. That's why the Noble tokens count for more, because you're corrupting those at the top with more influence over their kingdoms. As for some of the more freely themed Old World cards, just be flexible if it matters to you. I never thought to assemble a narrative from a game session of CitOW but it sounds like a fun project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
One of the things our group brought up that started some uproarious laughter was how the fields of Ecstasy card worked. And someone suggested that it causes everyone to just lay down and start having orgasms so then we all laughed at the idea of a Khorne warrior charging down some plauge ridden nurgle warriors and before the combat began both sides just collapsing to the ground and uncontrollably making this face while writhing around

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/jizz-in-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought of a drug party when I heard Field of Ecstasy gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.