Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a hand limit? In our last game one player had 40 cards in his hand from the healer, and another player had 14? It made the game ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
There is no hard hand limit. But if there are no cards in the deck or discard pile and someone needs to draw, everyone loses their hand and draws 8 cards - so draw too much and you may lose it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
It made the game ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome, I think you meant to say lol.

The hand limit is the number of cards in the decks, but you would not really be able to achieve this, and if you did it would only be for a brief period of time before a cosmic quake occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, it kind of made the game bog down at the end, I loved it up to that point though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
There is no hard hand limit. But if there are no cards in the deck or discard pile and someone needs to draw, everyone loses their hand and draws 8 cards - so draw too much and you may lose it all.

This is specifically called a cosmic quake, and I seem to recall it having been added in one of the expansions, i.e. you're not going to find this rule in the base game rulebook.

That said, there's certainly no reason you can't use it without the expansions. I'm just clarifying in case someone went to look for this and couldn't find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
@ cosmic quake: Someone should be noting to you that this is not completely uncommon but fairly rare. Only certain types of alien powers in conjunction with one another will cause this to occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Cosmic Quake is added by all three expansions, so FFG seems keen on making it a rule.

I've only seen it occur once - and that was in a multi-power game where one player was both Healer and Glutton. It's pretty rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
People ask this question so often, they really should have just explicitly stated it in the rules. There's nothing in the rules about a hand limit or about having to discard a certain number of cards in some circumstance after or before drawing them, or about some circumstance where you aren't allowed to draw more cards; so they assume readers will correctly conclude that there is no hand limit.

But not everyone will make that deduction - no matter how smart or logical they may be. In fact, non-gamers are probably more likely to reach the conclusion that there is no hand limit, because gamers may well be used to other games where there usually is a hand limit.

Rules need to be written somewhat redundantly, just to emphasize all the implications of the rules, which are never as obvious as those experienced with the game may assume they are.

I had to make a sign recently that said, "Every morning, 8am-9am". I had to include the "am"s because, even though it says "morning," people will still ask, "Is that am or pm?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.