Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was shocked and dismayed to discover recently that Chit Chat isn't on the default BGG home page... and brain-damaging nonsense like the Feel-The-Love forum is. What this means is that new users may never discover Chit Chat--and, worse, assume that FTL (and RSP) are all the off-topic areas BGG has to offer.

People, we need those souls. Without the increase in heat & pressure from a steady influx of new souls, the machinery which keeps Chit Chat running is doomed to grind more and more slowly until it finally freezes up. A silent wasteland under a crust of nitrogen frost, haunted only by a mad, solitary spirit which communicates with its own imagined voices in sprays of color & emoticons... we can't let that happen.

The simplest and most direct approach would be to kidnap an admin at BGG.CON, and force him or her to add Chit Chat to the default home page. (I believe we will have in place the personnel and other resources needed to pull this off.) Only slightly more complicated would be to steal a phone or laptop on which an admin has logged in, and use their account to make the necessary changes ourselves--but that requires knowledge, whereas holding an admin down and making him or her lick a dead squirrel is a simple & straightforward application of force. (Actually... it occurs to me that I've failed to account for the difficulty of finding an admin who wouldn't like that.)

I suppose another approach might be to... ask an admin? But, we've already got the dead squirrel. And disguises, and plausible deniability. So that would be more of a "Plan C" kind of thing.

Thoughts? In Texas, "conspiracy to kidnap and lightly torture a BGG admin" is probably a misdemeanor or something, so we should use aliases for the rest of this thread. (But, when you consider that there wouldn't be any torture if they give in immediately, that practically makes them accomplices, so it's unlikely that they would try to press charges for that part.) Still, to be safe, for the remainder of this thread, my code name will be "Gola."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I can only use my admin powers for evil, so I can't do anything about where Chit Chat appears (or doesn't) on the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just another step in the oppression of us ChitChatians. First they denied us our EPYC session reports from "flooding" the main page, now they seek to deny our existence altogether.

Isn't there some new user Wiki page or something with common tips. If so that page should be edited to show how to add the Glory of Chit Chat back into their modules.

Quote:
So that would be more of a "Plan C" kind of thing

Plan B as usual is "I drop my pants?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
This is just another step in the oppression of us ChitChatians. First they denied us our EPYC session reports from "flooding" the main page, now they seek to deny our existence altogether.

Isn't there some new user Wiki page or something with common tips. If so that page should be edited to show how to add the Glory of Chit Chat back into their modules.

Quote:
So that would be more of a "Plan C" kind of thing

It might be hard to find an admin who wouldn't like that either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:

That is always Plan A for Rusty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody reads threads any more.

EDIT: to be fair, kuhrusty did read that one. Actually, you all did. I'll get me coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I suppose another approach might be to... ask an admin? But, we've already got the dead squirrel. And disguises, and plausible deniability.

Unfortunately, I think that went out the window with your post. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Gola wrote:
plausible deniability.

Unfortunately, I think that went out the window with your post. soblue

That's what the code names are for! Look, I picked one for you, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a good writer. Maybe you should post a "How to navigate to Chit Chat for Newbies" in RSP.

Make it all sexy, political and holier-than-thou. Then others could post sexy, political, holier-than-thou comments of encouragement, like for example, "get your sexy libertarian arse over to CHIT CHAT ASAP before you are smitten by the tentacle of our Cthulhu overlord!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
You're a good writer. Maybe you should post a "How to navigate to Chit Chat for Newbies" in FTL.

As a serious suggestion, yes! An outreach program. Start a thread in FTL, "Previously in Chit-Chat", make the OP about Chit-Chat in general and how it's the sideways look at life, then start posting the cream of CC in the thread, not in the rest of the FTL forum. Build a gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh - Entropy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Without the increase in heat & pressure from a steady influx of new souls, the machinery which keeps Chit Chat running is doomed to grind more and more slowly until it finally freezes up.

What about all the orphans and kittens we've been throwing in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simple: we need Wil Wheaton. Wheaton is a geek-magnet and would be a source of nutritious souls for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
See, if they throw Chit Chat on the front page, two things are going to happen:

1. There will be immediate and unending complaints about how the purity of BGG's primal essence has been tainted, diluted and otherwise kerploded by non-sequiturs, inside jokes, couch wishes, baconalia, burrito sightings and lengthy stories of injury and/or property damage caused by home repair and Satan worship.

2. The increased visibility will draw the participation of those who crave visibility for visibility's sake and replace our precious anti-gaming thread molecules with trolling, guessing games, and links to insipid internet content that was barely chuckleworthy five years ago and would only amuse somebody's crusty old grandma. I can assure you the souls that we collect will be non-nutritious with little or no resale value.

What we need is targeted advertising.

I would also like to mention that I sent a dirty e-mail to your sister and rubbed my butt all over your stuff.

Sincerely,

Rusty Ballwringer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Still, to be safe, for the remainder of this thread, my code name will be "Gola."

You can call me Mr. Green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
-5 points to coffee guy for stealing my hotlink from less than a week ago.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9841704#9841704

I've got my eye on you, pal.
angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
The places for which there are maps are never quested for, like the city dump or FTL thread. Chit Chat, on the other hand, is the stumbled-upon cave that whistles secrets when the moon is full and grinding on Orion. You may not have set out to find it, but once there everything suddenly makes sense.

Leave the Mysteries for the unconscious seekers; everyone else gets weird forum lickin's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what Gola said, Gola. You don't find Chit Chat, Chit Chat finds you, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless, of course, you subscribe to Hivegod hoping he'll someday come up with the 4th best session report in the history of BGG. When that happens, sometimes you find Chit Chat right there in your subscriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cults like FTL recruit....Chit Chat selects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a paddlin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
An experiment: What happens when something demonstrably "Chit-Chatty" ends up in FTL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
The places for which there are maps are never quested for, like the city dump or FTL thread. Chit Chat, on the other hand, is the stumbled-upon cave that whistles secrets when the moon is full and grinding on Orion. You may not have set out to find it, but once there everything suddenly makes sense.

Leave the Mysteries for the unconscious seekers; everyone else gets weird forum lickin's.

There is an old martial arts saying: "When the student is ready, the master will appear".
The BGG version would be stated: "When the user is ready, Chit-Chat will appear".

Out of every batch of gamers who join BGG, a few predestined souls will achieve worth and find their way to this sacred place. All we need do is wait patiently. And also avoid a feeding frenzy when new souls appear....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The High Priest of Chit Chat:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.