Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the mention in the Stronghold / FFG Merchant of Venus announcement that Stronghold was talking to Richard Hamblen about other designs of his, dare we hope that Magic Realm may see the light of day once again?

Or, are we looking at a similar problem. Namely, the problem that Hamblen was an employee of AH when he designed Magic Realm and that means that absent a specific agreement with AH/Hasbro the game belongs to AH/Hasbro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
With the mention in the Stronghold / FFG Merchant of Venus announcement that Stronghold was talking to Richard Hamblen about other designs of his, dare we hope that Magic Realm may see the light of day once again?

Or, are we looking at a similar problem. Namely, the problem that Hamblen was an employee of AH when he designed Magic Realm and that means that absent a specific agreement with AH/Hasbro the game belongs to AH/Hasbro?

Joel,

I hope so, but the problem is that a game of the scale and scope of MR cannot/will not be made by FFG without some extensive streamlining to "modernize" it. Such extensive change to the ruleset might not make it interesting anymore to play (for me at least).

I really cannot see how you would streamline the game in a meaningful way, nor can I see how FFG would be able to publish it without such extensive streamlining (for understandable commercial reasoning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The release said Stronghold not FFG was talking about other Hamblen titles. Also either way I would think a publisher would recognize that the high complexity is a key strength of Magic Realm and not dumb it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel,

Don't know if you've seen some of the posts yet, but speculation is that Stronghold might at least be thinking 'bout publishing MR down the road...they applied for a trademark registration for MR last October and the status is now listed as "Notice of Allowance - ISSUED"...don't know if anything will come of it but here's hoping. If you haven't already seen, below are a couple of posts that talk a bit more 'bout it:

New Game Round-up: New Marks for Hamblen's Venus and Realm, Jolly Good Math & Eclipse, Trajan and Nefarious Come Closer

Stronghold Games First Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is cause for some hope. Of course thev big issue is whether or not Richard Hamblen designed Magic Realm while an employee of Avalon Hill. If yes and if the game was not covered by a specific contract then Hasbro owns the rights to Magic Realm. If on the other hand Richard was an independent contractor then he owns the rights barring a contract stating otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Also either way I would think a publisher would recognize that the high complexity is a key strength of Magic Realm and not dumb it down.

Your kidding right?

Current prevailing corporate mindset is alot like the rest of the entertainment industries mindset. Essentially boiling down to "Board gamers lack the mental capacity and more importantly the attention span needed to enguage in games requiring complex systems or long play times." This has even spilled over into the RPG biz.

Which is likely why we are seeing a move to smaller independant publishers for sources of the more complex and longer playing games sometimes.

As for Stronghold. I think theyd reprint it near one for one. With or without new elements from the original designer. FFG though would allmost 100% certainly glitze it up and either section it up into expansions, and/or trim off elements to "streamline" the game. Theyd certainly change the rules a little or alot. Usually alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, at least the combat system could be simplified. I've got AH and SPI wargames in my collection, so no stranger to complexity, but the combat in MR is unnecessarily fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Dewey
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Well, at least the combat system could be simplified. I've got AH and SPI wargames in my collection, so no stranger to complexity, but the combat in MR is unnecessarily fiddly.

I'd vote against this - the combat system is what keeps me playing. It's a puzzle to be figured out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
tdewey wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

I'd vote against this - the combat system is what keeps me playing. It's a puzzle to be figured out.

Totally agree. To whoever might republish Magic Realm, please don’t "fix" the combat system. It's one of my favorite parts of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
FFG though would allmost 100% certainly glitze it up and either section it up into expansions, and/or trim off elements to "streamline" the game. Theyd certainly change the rules a little or alot. Usually alot.

They did a wonderful job with Cosmic Encounter.

Personally I doubt that a reprint would have a large enough target audience for FFG to be interested in it... but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Indiveri
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A KickStarter Project would be a cheap way to find out.

Look at Project: Ogre. Steve Jackson was hoping for $20K just to do a modern reprint and bang, he got almost a mil. Now an old 80's microgame is a monster box with 3d stuff, mega ginormous maps and all the other optional eye candy. Plus some swag!

If someone did Project: MR I would certainly contribute / preorder, but I like MR *because* of its complexity. I'm a weird, tiny minority of the gaming market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker (Matt) Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
Image from Love by Eskil Steenberg
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be all over a Kickstarter for MR. All the F over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
viper34j wrote:

HEY! Watch the L! This is a FF place. Who the R do you think you're talking 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
viper34j wrote:

HEY! Watch the L! This is a FF place. Who the R do you think you're talking 2?

I d n k w y a s a t p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker (Matt) Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
Image from Love by Eskil Steenberg
mbmbmbmbmb
I sense thinly veiled sarcasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
viper34j wrote:
I sense thinly veiled sarcasm.

Sarcasm detector functioning properly.

Now that I reread my post it isn't even funny. Not sure why I posted it, but I really did like your previous comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the chits have a certain charm, I've always found the duck/charge/dodge and smash/thrust/swing method to be a bit arbitrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.