Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an earlier thread (Blasphemy Alert 2), I resigned a game.
Shining wits pointed out that resigning usually loses.
A very good (and funny) point and this little story teaches me that lesson in no uncertain terms.
In the very next game after the one detailed previously (I am determined to really like this game instead of just liking it, or merely believing that I should like it), I had played well (and got lucky cards) to get the US to 14VPs.
Then came a turn that could have been played worse, but it is difficult to imagine.
Halfway through this turn, I realised that I had 2 USSR events that would/could force Defcon down to 1 - We Will Bury You and Lone Gunman.
I also realised (where was my start of turn planning??) that I could only get rid of one but not both!
I got rid of We Will Bury You with Blockade but I was left with Lone Gunman for my last AR.
I can tell you, I nearly did it again. Resigned that is. But I played it out and lo and behold, on his last AR my opponent played Ask Not What Your Country!!
I was able to swap Lone Gunman for Defectors and now I'm still winning.
The game isn't finished yet but this really made me chuckle, especially after my previous post and certainly enforces the moral:
Never, ever, resign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banzai123 wrote:

Never, ever, resign.

So important a point, it merits quoting and commenting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The victories that taste sweetest are those in which opponent is clearly more lucky & everybody thinks he'll win .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
banzai123 wrote:
Never, ever, resign.

My wife caught on to this one. >Snap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bloggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a sec, you played Blockade on yourself? What about the Space Race? WWBY should almost always be space-able.

You could have spaced We Will Bury You, played Blockade and held Lone Gunman. True, you would've lost W. Germany with nothing to discard, but better than losing the game, surely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time, USSR has reached 19VP and USA has won the game...like in the real life ?

So, I must agree with this thread : Never resign (even if I think I will lose my current Vassal game of TS against Brouhaha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeyJoe wrote:
Wait a sec, you played Blockade on yourself? What about the Space Race? WWBY should almost always be space-able.

You could have spaced We Will Bury You, played Blockade and held Lone Gunman. True, you would've lost W. Germany with nothing to discard, but better than losing the game, surely.

Did you read the bit where I said that the turn could have been played worse but it is hard to imagine?
Or the bit where I asked myself where was my first turn planning?
I believe I had already spaced another USSR event, but I cannot remember which one.
Or, if I hadn't, then you are absolutely right. I have nothing good to say about how I played the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm glad it worked out! I always hate resigning in any game as I think it cheapens the victory. I guess I should get over the mental hurdle and think of it as any other victory, but (and your example is a great one) I always wonder what would have really happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel,

With your newfound resolve never to surrender, you can continue to use your BGG name without shame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bloggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense meant, Nigel. Glad it turned out okay for you in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeyJoe wrote:
No offense meant, Nigel. Glad it turned out okay for you in the end.

None taken! It's annoying, isn't it, how the written word can be so easily misinterpreted? When I reread how I had replied to you, I realised that it could have been assumed I was being nasty, which I can assure you I did not mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.