Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you destroy your own saved oil? rules reference would be nice.

We couldn't find it last night and houseruled, that it was possible to do so in the victory step, but without the need for an in supply land unit.

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
At a quick glance, the rules don't appear to allow destroying saved oil. I know I haven't seen it done in a game, so I usually keep oil as far from enemy units as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you conquer an oil marker, it cannot be destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pectin wrote:
So if you conquer an oil marker, it cannot be destroyed?

Saved oil can't be destroyed except by strategic bombing (see 13.5.1, under "Saved Oil Resources").

But check out 22.4.11. Synthetic oil plants AND printed oil resource hexes can be destroyed like factories (22.2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again my logical sense collides with WiF rules. I have something like 50000 men (lets admit that the Iraqi CAV corps is a small corps) standing in a city that is 200 km^2 and then all these men are not able to destroy some freaking on-shore oil tanks? Don't they have guns all these men? Does it take more then a HMG to pierce some holes in those oil tanks? Dont they have explosives?

They might create an ecological disaster like the Iraqis did in 1991. But who cared about the nature in WWII?

Yours,

Jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bear in mind that things in WiF have always a difficult to explain dose of abstraction: the Iraqui CAV represents probably some random light brigades of cavalry and infantry, probably armed with light, old-fashioned guns and not so well trained. It is not an actual CAV corps.
The oil point marker could be, in reality, a dozen depots -each of which compromises big facilities with many silos- spread through the ¿Syrian? coast.
It's like all those German SUBs at Brest. Not all of them would really be at Brest, but spread, hidden and fortified through the whole French Athlantic coast. It's just a functional game mechanic having all of them piled at Brest.
Or partisans. Partisans would never group in weak and easy to find partisan Corps. Partisan Corps are just a representation in a game where Corps is the default unit.
So, when a Corps destroys a blue factory it means that, in reality, the most important thing done by this unit in the last month -it is probably doing many others, like hunting partisans, garrisoning cities and ports (that's where notional units come from) or resting and resupplying- has been to detach demolition companies to carefully obliterate dozens of industrial facilities -not only factories, but roads, electrical lines, railroads, etc. They could even be deporting workers- in a thousands square kilometers wide area.

All that said, I think you're right. A Corps, even the humble Iraqui CAV, should be able to destroy an Oil point a turn. Houseruling it is probably the best solution.

Cheers!
Roberkhan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberkhan wrote:

All that said, I think you're right. A Corps, even the humble Iraqui CAV, should be able to destroy an Oil point a turn. Houseruling it is probably the best solution.

We generally just try to avoid saving oil in vulnerable locations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pectin wrote:
Once again my logical sense collides with WiF rules. I have something like 50000 men (lets admit that the Iraqi CAV corps is a small corps) standing in a city that is 200 km^2 and then all these men are not able to destroy some freaking on-shore oil tanks? Don't they have guns all these men? Does it take more then a HMG to pierce some holes in those oil tanks? Dont they have explosives?

They might create an ecological disaster like the Iraqis did in 1991. But who cared about the nature in WWII?

Yours,

Jesper

Many people houserule that you can destroy your oil; this issue could simply have been a rules ommission as opposed to an 'intentional' rule.

I think in RL the issue is often notice; there are many cases of perishable stores being captured before the owners can destroy them - even at sea (where codebooks and stuff were captured!) It is easy enough to houserule that players can destroy their saved oil.

Because of the 'notice' issue, we have often played that you can destroy oil during final reorg or possibly at the start of the action phase. We do not allow a player to destory oil he agreed to ship to another player.

As Wendell said, many players have simply become experienced enough that the issue is pretty rare, they either use 'vulnerable' oil for production or for reorganization. Of course, it always can happen especially to powers that are saving a lot of oil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep, I can imagine myself storing oil in stupid places. Not that it has happened yet, but just sit and wait
I'm already very good at rebasing used planes to vulnerable places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.