Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Variants

Subject: Chronology of the Command Decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Mentlik
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, my friend and me want to try a game according to slightly (read heavily) modified rules. Basic idea is to fight to the last ship over the control of the space. Yes, this will possibly be a whole-day game.

For now, we expect to start for each side with a fleet size of 6 or so, composing from the smallest ships available. Completing objectives, as well as building Starbases, will open the possibility to raise the fleet size, however, the ships taken will have to be from the lowest ship size available. Ultimate goal will be to destroy the whole enemy fleet.

For the same reason, we would like to start with command decks composed from two or three subdecks, and eventually mix additional subdecks into it as the game progresses. It would be very nice to start with the subdecks that date to the oldest ships and add the newer ones, but we are unsure of the chronology of the subdecks. Can anyone help us? Please only consider characters.

Thanks in advance.

PS: For anyone interested, we will post the rules set and experience once we finish... and possibly also some type of the report. All of this is only a preparation for a similar game planned for the release of the Romulan expansion. Someone has to prove that Romulans are far superior to the Federation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might be difficult. The subdecks are on specific themes rather than relating to chronology. For example, the "Starfleet Command" deck has Admiral Cartwright from the original motion picture era, Admiral Hanson from TNG, and Admiral Paris from Voyager. Similarly, the "Main Engineering" deck has both Geordi LaForge and Scotty. The only obvious ones are the "Captain Kirk," "Captain Picard," "Strange New Worlds" and "Wild Space" subdecks, and the "House of..." Klingon decks.

I guess you could ignore the built-in subdeck structure and build your own, picking cards for both factions that only include TOS/movie ships, crew, and Command card artwork (e.g. Orion Slave Girl, Hailing Frequencies, etc). Then add in TNG in one wave, then DS9 / Voyager - using the characters that cross over (e.g. Worf, Barkley, Alexander, Koloth) to help balance them. Unfortunately, the ships will run into some balancing issues if you put them in chronological order. For instance, the two size-1 Klingon ships are from "Star Trek: Enterprise," while there are no Federation ships from that era. The size-1 Federation ships don't show up until TNG (Yosemite) and Voyager (Equinox) eras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mentlik
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jeff, I wasn't aware of that (I have only played 5 games so far, and always for the Klingon side, so I haven't seen the composition of Fed decks so far). That makes things more difficult.

I am no big trekkie, I have only seen all the movies and most of TNG series, plus few other episodes, and I am not good at all on names or faces or so. When I get my hands on the cards again, I will check the Federation decks and sort them somehow.

I have never thought about sorting the ships by eras... they are pretty well balanced based on the size (except for some unlucky roll of in the beginning), so we have decided to go through the ships size-wise, eventually ending with new Enterprise and Negh'Var.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.