Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I lost as Napoleon on final scoring.

I tried a no reinforcement strategy this time, trying to hold a defensive position and prevent the Austrians from getting any Blue Stars.

I put more strength into the Marsh side of the map this time, and 2 Guard Infantry with Legrand. When Austria pushed St. Hilaire in the middle, I moved Legrand out to flank and help St. Hilaire hold his starting locale. Legrand soon came head to head with Austrian forces and I decided to launch a Guard attack across a narrow approach gambling on the opponent's having no three-strengh units. I figured it was likely because in the last couple of games controlling the Marsh-side of the map was essentially useless. However Legrand came across a three-strength Infantry and my defensive line on the Marsh-side fell. In hindsight it was a bad idea but at least it was a high-risk-high-reward gamble even though it didn't work out in the end.

The next mistake was just not worthwile however you spin it. Eventually I had to fall back with St. Hilaire to my side of the river, but instead of moving toward the Marsh side to defend the Blue Stars there, I moved him to the Highway side. It helped me defend the Highway side quite comfortably but none of that matters if my right side falls, and it was a given that my right side would fall without St. Hilaire's help whereas my left side had a decent chance of holding out without.

By round 8 it was pretty hopeless for me to win on scoring conditions, so in a desperate attempt I brought on my reinforcements on round 9 to try and win on Morale. Austria ended the game with 5 Morale.

So, when St. Hilaire was pressed I probably should've kept Legrand in his defensive position and fell back with St. Hilaire, instead of moving Legrand out to try and hold an advanced position. Also, when Legrand's defense fell I should've moved St. Hilaire towards the Marsh side instead of the Highway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you decide to attack Legrand during a game where you decided on a no reinforcement strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
Why did you decide to attack Legrand during a game where you decided on a no reinforcement strategy?
I sort of go over this in the session report: namely to pull away pressure from St. Hilaire in the middle.

Additionally, if the Guard Attack was successful, Austria would've had a hard time taking a Blue Star on the Marsh side. Alternatively, Legrand could've taken a Red Star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer K
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice session report. I had a very similar game recently. Inspired by your session report I wrote one, too. [klick] I also tried a no reinforcement strategy, but with a different outcome.

Edit: @ Paul: I don't think its necessarily a bad idea to attack, if you don't get over eager. When playing a no reinforcment strategy, you will most likely have your strongest troops on the field. That is how I play it at least. If something goes wrong and the Allies manage to capture a star, the French might still win the moral race this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryutin wrote:
Edit: @ Paul: I don't think its necessarily a bad idea to attack, if you don't get over eager. When playing a no reinforcment strategy, you will most likely have your strongest troops on the field. That is how I play it at least. If something goes wrong and the Allies manage to capture a star, the French might still win the moral race this way.

I agree. As the Allies I've ran out of time against the French strategy of starting all their best units on the field. Blocking the approaches guarantees that either they'll be ahead on moral, or the Allies will have to attack with a lot of cavalry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience St. Hilaire always turned out to be the key position for a French defensive strategy and for myself I pretty much decided that
1. his starting locale is simply unsuitable to stably hold the line and requires flank protection in the villages in his flanks.
2. a nicely planned and concerted retreat from there (starting locale plus villages) always turns out to be devastating.

Therefore - when playing defensively or wanting to make the impression at least - I normally order St. Hilaire to fall back immediately and do not care to detach any flank guards into the villages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer K
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromme wrote:
In my experience St. Hilaire always turned out to be the key position for a French defensive strategy and for myself I pretty much decided that
1. his starting locale is simply unsuitable to stably hold the line and requires flank protection in the villages in his flanks.
2. a nicely planned and concerted retreat from there (starting locale plus villages) always turns out to be devastating.

Therefore - when playing defensively or wanting to make the impression at least - I normally order St. Hilaire to fall back immediately and do not care to detach any flank guards into the villages.

Sounds very resonably. I will try that too the next time I play the French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I think one can do it if he is willing to leave a couple two-strength infantries behind (I plug the two flanking cities with one each).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.