The Famous Robin Hood Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Famous Robin Hood Card Game. lost in the Woods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Type in Robin Hood in the geeks search engine, and the result you`ll find is around 28 games. These games vary from board, card, and even a dexterity game.
Then look at the ratings for these games and you will find a real sad state of affairs, from 3`s etc up to around 7 for the Legend of Robin Hood by Avalon Hill.
You would think that such a famous character might have a better mixture of board/card games available...there was the recent Nottingham card game, but really, Robin Hood doesn`t feature that prominently in the game, if at all.
Poor old Richard Greene eh?
Well, I like reviewing games which either haven`t got a review, or has, like this game, gotten lost in the woods.

What you get is a small flat box, which is still too big really, but the wall size poster obviously didn`t, or wouldn`t fit anything else. An inset tray holds the cards and coins in place.The poster is nicely done and informative about the period.
The card deck comprises of 55 cards ( 3 of which are the rules ) and twelve metal coins which are really nice and heavy. The rest of the 52 cards are made up of Poor cards, Gold cards, Sheriff cards ( boo..hiss hiss) Robin Hood cards ( hooray ! ) and The Outlaw cards made up of 2 of each character ( Maid Marian,Friar Tuck,Little John,Will Scarlett,Alan a Dale, and Much the Miller`s Son ). The cards themselves are beautifully illustrated both front and back.

On to the game. Well this is a rummy style game with the objective being to rid yourself of your cards. The deck is shuffled and players each get 7 cards, with the rest forming the stock pack.
Right, choose a start player, so that`s one- a- penny, two- a- penny, where`s a dice when you want one? look I`ll start.
In order to play a card, a social order of card has to be adhered too.
This forms a discard pile.
All rounds begin by playing a Poor card, and as the rules state,
" The poor start each round.They are, as poor people always are, at the bottom of the pile. "
Well I never !
The next player can then add either another poor card, or the next one in order which is a Gold card. Next in order is the pesky Sheriff card, who is of course after all that Gold. The next in order is the Outlaw cards, followed by the Robin Hood card...Hooray, our Hero saves the day.
So, players can either play a current social order card, or play a next in social order card.
If you cannot play a card from your hand, or do not wish to play a card from your hand, then that player must pick up the discard pile, and may, if he/she so wishes, take 2 cards from the stock pack.This then may enable you to now play a suitable card. ( ugm...I feel an Uno moment coming on. )
Right, back to the card play. Once a player adds the Robin Hood card (considered to be the master of the pile) that player captures the current cards in the discard pile. These are put to one side for scoring purposes later, and that player starts a new sequence...back to those Poor people again. Rinse- repeat.
Once the stock pile is exhausted of cards, players must play a suitable card if the have one. Players are not now obliged to pick up the discard pile, they simply miss a turn and play now passes to the next player. If it is established that no player has a suitable card, then the next card in sequence may be played.( Eg, Sheriff card instead of Gold, etc )

Now to scoring. The first player to go out gets one gold coin. Players now get to look at those captured piles they may have and earn bonus gold coins.
For each pair of Poor & Gold cards the player/s get a gold coin but for each captured Sheriff card, these deduct one gold coin. If he has more captured Sheriff cards than pairs of Poor and Gold cards he receives no bonus coins.
The player with the most Gold Coins wins.

And there you have it. So what do I think? Well it just seems to me that there was an opportunity missed with this game. The social order is fine, but really, as soon as a player adds an Outlaw card which there is no end bonus for, the discard pile is so vunerable to a Robin card appearing from another player, then runaway leader problems emerge. There should have been some sort of seniority within the Outlaw cards themselves, or an extra card which maybe prevents the Robin card capturing the pile.

I don`t know, these are just random thoughts after the fact. It isn`t a bad game as a filler, and for the kids it`s fine as is..just a pity that something for us adults can`t be added to bring the game out of the shadows of the woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
moxyoron wrote:

If you cannot play a card from your hand, or do not wish to play a card from your hand, then that player must pick up the discard pile, and may, if he/she so wishes, take 2 cards from the stock pack.This then may enable you to now play a suitable card.

It is not clear exactly what card you are not supposed to play. Does the last card played still have effect and you must match or play the next level card? Unless the game resets to where you start over by playing a poor card? Is that how it works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, yes you re-set the whole process by playing a Poor card. So, If someone has just placed an Outlaw card and you have no Robin Hood card, on your turn the choices would be to play another Outlaw card in the hope that the next player hasn`t got a Robin Hood card, or prevent that, by picking up all the cards then choosing whether to take two more from the stock deck and then play a Poor card. That is fine , but your left with more cards in your hand of course. Thanks for the question and hope you enjoyed the review. Like I say..it`s not a bad little filler game, just something missing for me where us adults are concerned. Enjoy meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
thanks. it sound something like uno but instead of matching the number you can add one higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hatfield
United States
modesto
California
flag msg tools
"There should have been some sort of order within the outlaw cards themselves"

This looks like a job for House Rule Hero's youthful companion Obvious Scheme! Either go by brute body weight and strength with the winsome Maid trailing the pack. Or by alphabetical order with the peaceful minstrel Allan heading up the pecking order, hmmmmm. Or a tiddly wink "archery" contest with the coins to settle the matter. Or...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With my copy, there is a blank card which presents certain possibilities for bonuses and/or penalties, perhaps ending a 'round' other than with a Robin card/ counting higher than the first 'Robin' card and play continues with...../ doubling gold coins for poor-gold pairs/ cancelling one or all sheriff cards held.....Thoughts? Assigning values to the outlaws is rather time-consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.