Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So now that I finally got people at the table to play this one and it is still one of my favorite games I went on a shopping spree and bought up the Goodies expansion, NL, Gamer's, and World Championship decks. So now that my card collection is complete (short of the hard to find at a reasonable prize Z deck), how should I combine the decks.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm curious how others with a complete collection play. Do you rotate card sets? Take out the chaff and play with a collection of the powerful stuff? Take out the powerful stuff and play with the more balanced ones? Just mix them all together and play with what comes? Have specific set lists like in Dominion? Completely ignore certain sets?

I want to get the best experience out of the game for myself and my fellow gamers so this game keeps hitting the table. Thanks for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you have the Ö-Deck and the CZ-Deck too meeple

Well, we prefer the "Chaos Variant". We shuffle all cards from all expansions together and use a draft method á la 7 Wonders. Works like a charm cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

Well, we prefer the "Chaos Variant". We shuffle all cards from all expansions together and use a draft method á la 7 Wonders. Works like a charm cool

They come in the Goodies expansion, do they not? Along with the X-deck (seperate mechanic) and the L-deck (not actually meant to be played with I believe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

They come in the Goodies expansion, do they not? Along with the X-deck (seperate mechanic) and the L-deck (not actually meant to be played with I believe).

You are right, of course ... my mistake! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
We include the E, I, K, Z (yes, we have a copy of the super rare Z decks ), O, Cz, G and Wm decks in all our plays. We shuffle all of them up and deal out 7 occupations and minors to each player and that turns out fine for us.

Our personal experience is to exclude the NL deck altogether. Some of the cards in it are way too strong and that spoils the game for us. It's the only deck we regret purchasing. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no reason not to mix everything together, excepting any specific cards that you just don't like using.

The most interesting thing about the game to me is seeing new card combinations in play together. Mixing them all is the way to maximize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We Generally play with 3 from one deck and 4 from another, or 2,3,3 unless it is the World Championship Deck when we take a deck at random and discard down to 7 of each.

Cards within decks often have synergy with each other so just mixing things up increases the relative imbalance of power between hands.

Not that it makes a great difference

We also leave all the cards in (braggart, lover etc) gives the others weaker players a chance to beat me win occasionally if they get one of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
We Generally play with 3 from one deck and 4 from another, or 2,3,3 unless it is the World Championship Deck when we take a deck at random and discard down to 7 of each.

Cards within decks often have synergy with each other so just mixing things up increases the relative imbalance of power between hands.

Not that it makes a great difference

We also leave all the cards in (braggart, lover etc) gives the others weaker players a chance to beat me win occasionally if they get one of them

+1. This is pretty much how we do it. Most folk I play with find a draft too time-consuming so we generally deal ten according to a pre-agreed split. i.e. 3 I, 3 K and 4 G. Then folk keep 7 from across their hand.

Good friends keep all their decks shuffled together so we get to play that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the fairies deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have all published cards, except some L-cards. i put all cards in a pool and then divided them into a few decks:

- regular games (about 75 occs and minors each; deal 10-3 or draft)

all other decks are just enough cards to fit into the G-deck box in one pile after removing inlay (i guess about 50 occs and minors each):
- beginner games (simple cards like woodcutter, deal 7)
- WM deck, slightly modified (using WM rules)
- powerdeck (mostly NL cards and the most powerful other cards that don't fit in beginners deck, like grocer; deal 10-3 or draft)
- fun deck (most of T and X decks, some others like lover or ratcatcher, special rules)
- removed cards (too weak or so crazy that they aren't even fun when playing the fun deck, we never use those)
- fotm deck (though we rarely play fotm)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
all other decks are just enough cards to fit into the G-deck box in one pile after removing inlay

I have put all the FOM stuff except the decks in the original Agricola box and use the FOM box for all the card decks. A bit of a squeeze but can just get everything into 2 boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:
Do you have the fairies deck?

yes, only played it once though, very strange game where we all ended up with one family member or in my case two which were zombies if I remember correctly
A bit too random for my liking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Doran

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got NL and world championship decks recently. Tried using just those two decks, mixed, but the newness of it was overwhelming. Finally settled on a good "deal 11, keep 7" mix -- 2 cards from the over-familiar "boîte a jeux" deck (which includes most but not all of the E, I, and K decks), 3 cards from a mix of the rest of the E, I, K decks plus Gamers, Czech, and Austrian decks, and 3 each from NL and WM -- nice mix of cards I know inside out, ones I know pretty well but still have novelty, and the shockingly new. Fun stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.