Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Panic Station and Resistance, and was just wondering, for Panic Station, if folks prefered full blown "out in the open" accusations over "figure it ou by my actions" type of play.
Basically, I see it both ways and can enjoy both play.

1- Thematic - figure it out by actions taking palce

Less popular probably (at least it's my guess), this type of play requires players to pay attention to the events unfolding before their eyes. Thematically it seems to make more sense, if 2 people are in a room and one attempts to infect the other, it makes little sense for the recipient blocking the attempt to shout "you bastard you tried to infect me!" and divulge information that isn't known to anyone else. It may be the case but other survivors aren't in the room, and thus no such accusations should be made to keep it logical (if I can use such a word!). Others would have to figure this out if the uninfected player bolts out of there for hiding, starts attacking the infected player, etc. Makes for a very nice game.

2- Full blown accusations

This is more like I play Resistance, where you simply accuse anyone you want in the open. "Bill just tried to infect me!", "You liar, you're the that tried to infect me!". I'm guessing this is how most people play, and this is quite enjoyable as well, perhaps more so, I'm not sure.

So how do you play? I'm wondering if you've tried both ways which one you prefer, and why? Which would be better for new players who don't know Resistance, etc.

I personally like to suggest both ways and go with the majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'rs playing to win you will do #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: How do you play Panic Station?
To determine how people deal with accusations.
How do you deal with accusations when you play Panic Station?
Thematically (figure it out by actions)
Full-blown (wild verbal accusations throughout)
Other (please describe)
      17 answers
Poll created by iNano78
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it greatly depends on the people you play with, and even within 1 group playing you will most possibly have different approaches going on.
From my experience, when strangers are playing with each other (for example at conventions) who are sometimes a bit more careful in playing they sometimes tend to choose for a more silent approach and try to concentrate on the behavior on the board.

Regular gaming buddies tend to play more agressively and accusations (depending on the varbal agressiveness of the group) will fly around.
This is of course something the host will take advantage of.
In my experience it is harder for a host to distract other players in a silent group.

Personally, I have had good experiences with both approaches.
It creates a different kind of tension alltogether.
Being a host I usually try to fuel open accusations since they are a perfect breeding ground for confusion, and this greatly helps to do some devious stuff unnoticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
But if open accusations are pro-host, why would you do it as the host? That'd be a tell, I'd imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
But if open accusations are pro-host, why would you do it as the host? That'd be a tell, I'd imagine.

It can help the host, but if humans play smartly it could also benefit them. the fact is: open accusations are a tool for confusion, and it can work for both camps.

The same goes for the silent treatment.
It can seriously handicap the host since everyone has no distraction from his meanoeuvres, but also it can handicap the humans since they don't openly plan their mission.

I prefer an all-out agressive flow of accusations flying around the table.
It creates some intense moments and the paranoia can potentially sky-rocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed both types of games considerably, as David suggests with new players it may be easier to play silent mode, but with veterans it can make for a very entertaining game as well. The confusion in other player's faces when shooting at someone 3-4 times in your turn, which in their eyes is totally out of the blue, is hilarious!

It almost makes for a different game when playing silent, not sure it's better, but it's very much different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you have a point.
It feels like two playmodes.
They generate a completely different feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.