Peter Quentin
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
All is quiet in the deep dark wood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In placing the sniper, the rules say it can be placed on any unit. Do you think it means:

Any unit (Nato or Soviet unit)
Nato unit
Soviet unit

I realise the rules say "any" but my gaming partner and I both assumed the opposite to each other and neither of us thought literally "any"!

Thanks in advance...

PQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part of the rule section for the sniper:
Quote:
7.2 Sniper
For his sole action of an impulse,
the NATO player can place the
sniper on any unit located in
Tanenhause. He then rolls 1d6.
On a roll of 1-4, the target unit is
Suppressed...

The sniper is a NATO unit. You place it on targets that you want to shoot at therefore you would not put it on a NATO unit... I hope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Indeed, although I might have if those squads of mine shot any worse when you and I played!

Do you like the game Peter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Quentin
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
All is quiet in the deep dark wood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Barthheart wrote:
You place it on targets that you want to shoot at therefore you would not put it on a NATO unit... I hope...

That's how we interpreted it, I didn't see how else to but it was worth checking what others thought. So, thank you very much

hipshot wrote:
Do you like the game Peter?

So far so good! We have only played it twice, and didn't get to finish the first game. My only real complaint is that the rules do require quite a bit of interpretation. Likely Mark only tested it with his usual players so they all made similar assumptions.

I would have lost as the Soviets in the first game, but won the second game as Nato. When I next play the Soviets I think I will play very defensively and be extremely precious of my units, I feel that it is harder to win as the Soviets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a hard game for the Soviets.

I think they need to be played aggressively for most of the game. Kev and I played and I was aggressive to start and was holding his NATO units back and doing lots of damage.
But then I faded back on to defence and he won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Soviets need a bit of luck with Air and the Hind.
They then need to choose locations carefully. Shoot at EVERYTHING. Combined arms is rewarded here if you look at the way game plays.
Yes the rules are a bit argy bargy. BUT, if you have played WaW or LNL b4 you will intuit the intent.

Have fun. I find it the most rewarding game magazine edition yet of ANY of the magazines including Battles.

There is A LOT to think about, and very very tough choices to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.