James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Amazon’s Political Heat Map Colors Book-Buying Preferences
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/amazon-political-heat...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/election-heatmap?tag=article-boardg...

Interesting that even CA and WA are red on this map.

It would be great if all these readers alternated - reading a red and then a blue then a red.... Maybe we'd have more understanding. (Although IMHO some of the books on both sides of the column are worthless crap.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The main two reasons to read political books are to either educate oneself about points of view different for yours or to enjoy reading a book that will say things you agree with.

In the light of that, it doesn't surprise me at all that conservative books outsell books that express left wing political views in pretty much every state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Quote:
So if you’re upset because you feel your state has been misrepresented, go buy a book.

Uhh... from Amazon, right? It sounds like this doesn't cover books bought by people who shop locally.

Still, interesting data, and interesting use of the data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
hibikir wrote:
The main two reasons to read political books are to either educate oneself about points of view different for yours or to enjoy reading a book that will say things you agree with.

In the light of that, it doesn't surprise me at all that conservative books outsell books that express left wing political views in pretty much every state.

LOL. So you're saying that conservatives are buying books to get their daily dose of red meat, and liberals are also buying those same books to figure out what planet the conservatives are living on?
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
tesuji wrote:
Quote:
So if you’re upset because you feel your state has been misrepresented, go buy a book.

Uhh... from Amazon, right? It sounds like this doesn't cover books bought by people who shop locally.

Still, interesting data, and interesting use of the data.

Yeah, this is an unscientific report by Amazon only.

Makes it more interesting, I think - I have the impression there are more liberals than conservatives on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Or that conservatives are cramming because they need to convince the voters more then the Democrates (I want to take something from you is a harder sell then I want to give you something). As far as I can see this is the number of boks sold, not the number of people buying books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

"But," Obama's book sales are stomping Romney's, which seems to conflict with whatever conclusions you may be drawing about the consumers of the other titles on the page.

tesuji wrote:
Yeah, this is an unscientific report by Amazon only.

Makes it more interesting, I think -

I think it makes it less interesting, because you have to fill in the holes with more research your own preconceptions. It's not "what Americans are reading," it's "what Amazon customers are buying"; going by number of books might tell you something different than if you went by number of words or amount spent, or normalized by the amount spent on advertising by the publishers; etc., etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
stpauler wrote:
First off, the title of the thread is completely and annoyingly incorrect. It's extrapolating data that was not mentioned in either article. Just because a book's writing is conservative or liberal does not reflect what the leaning of the reader is.

Secondly, I take umbrage with the inclusion of Ayn Rand on the list. Yes, there's become a post hoc inclusion of her work in the conservative's library. But it was also required reading for me in high school and I'm sure it is for others. As such, you're going to get a false positive.

Thirdly, I'll keep my umbrage with Richard Dawkins' book on the liberal list. There are atheists on both sides of the aisle, so that's incorrectly placed.

That's a valid point about the title. I assume that people buying books are mostly those who agree with those books. This still seems most likely to me.

Ayn Rand = The Prophet of the Tea Party. Do many liberals agree with her?

Richard Dawkins = The Religious Conservatives' Bête Noire. He's quite ant-religion.

Personally, I find Dawkins rather narrow-minded. Science is not about final answers, it's about finding better interpretation of data. As Karl Popper points out, facts and interpretation of facts are two different things. The history of science is one of continual revolutions and evolutions in understanding. There's no reason to believe we've suddenly figured everything out, or ultimately figured much of anything out as far as ultimate truth or reality. I believe in a God who wants us all to be scientists, to keep open minds and keep learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
stpauler wrote:
First off, the title of the thread is completely and annoyingly incorrect. It's extrapolating data that was not mentioned in either article. Just because a book's writing is conservative or liberal does not reflect what the leaning of the reader is.

Secondly, I take umbrage with the inclusion of Ayn Rand on the list. Yes, there's become a post hoc inclusion of her work in the conservative's library. But it was also required reading for me in high school and I'm sure it is for others. As such, you're going to get a false positive.

Thirdly, I'll keep my umbrage with Richard Dawkins' book on the liberal list. There are atheists on both sides of the aisle, so that's incorrectly placed.

That's a valid point about the title. I assume that people buying books are mostly those who agree with those books. This still seems most likely to me.

Ayn Rand = The Prophet of the Tea Party. Do many liberals agree with her?

Richard Dawkins = The Religious Conservatives' Bête Noire. He's quite ant-religion.

Personally, I find Dawkins rather narrow-minded. Science is not about final answers, it's about finding better interpretation of data. As Karl Popper points out, facts and interpretation of facts are two different things. The history of science is one of continual revolutions and evolution in understanding. There's no reason to believe we've suddenly figured everything out. I believe in a God who wants us all to be scientists, to keep open minds and keep learning.

Religious Conservatism is however not all conservatives, even though it seems that’s what religious Conservatives what us to believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the age breakdown. I suspect that older people tend to read more and that the older generation are more conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this thread would be about this:

Amazon Heat Map - Conservatives are buying the most books...to burn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
I thought this thread would be about this:

Amazon Heat Map - Conservatives are buying the most books...to burn

I was surprised they read at all. I thought they just repeated all the bs that saw on Faux ...I mean fox news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:

ROFL - required reading?! I'm pretty sure it was on my high school's banned books list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Obviously, this proves two facts!

1). Liberals don't read, they only watch The Daily Show for their news.

2). Conservatives are cheap bastages!

Clearly, these facts are incontestable- because of SCIENCE!

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the liberals are all reading pirated ebooks now, while the conservatives carry on our paper-based traditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Perhaps the liberals are all reading pirated ebooks now, while the conservatives carry on our paper-based traditions.

Pretending this is a serious comment for the moment.

I woudl suspect that it's a case that they both pirate equaly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would venture this completely unscientific thingy(technical term) might beshowing a differe.t frendesperation. At least for the moment(and in opposition to conventional wisdom) the dems seem to be fairly united and coherent in their msg, while the rep party is the one struggling to define and understand itself. All this reading could be people in the party tryingto research the beliefs of their leaders, or to reaffirm their stancesin the current quagmire. Likewise indeps like me will be reading more'red' books just to try and figure out what all the dust and noise is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Who actually spends money to buy Ann Coulter's books? Or Sean Hannity's books?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tesuji wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/election-heatmap?tag=article-boardg...

Interesting that even CA and WA are red on this map.

It would be great if all these readers alternated - reading a red and then a blue then a red.... Maybe we'd have more understanding. (Although IMHO some of the books on both sides of the column are worthless crap.)

If you identify as conservative, you must absolutely hate Obama. That's a rule..enforced by amazon's heat map.

Libs go to the library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.