United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I'm going to go ahead and get them all (How could I not? This is a ridiculously good deal, especially for kickstarters!). We don't have a lot of info on how they play yet, but we can certainly enjoy the looks and feel of the factions. Here's how I rate them on this alone:

1. Cerci Speed Circuit (CSC)
2. Black Diamond (BD)
3. Doctrine (D)
4. Noh Empire (NE)
5. Star Nebula Corsairs (SNC)
6. Shattered Sword (SS)

I like CSC because these were the first minis of the line that I saw years ago--and realized I couldn't afford. They're my flagship. I dig the BD military vibe. The D are kind of a toss-up for me. I'm not so interested in mages, so I may have to switch them with the NE, who look warpy in the demo vid. That said, I might have to switch the NE with the SNC because I like the more delicate look of the SNC over the mass of the NE. SS comes in last because they look like such goodie-goodies.

How about you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Doctrine / Cerci Tied for first place.
2)Black Diamond and Shattered Sword Paladins next.
3)Noh Empire and Star Nebula Corsairs lastly

That's just my personal interest - I am getting the lot

Doctrine caught my eye with Kisa and Scratch, hey I love cats, so a cat woman with a pet cat, and riding on a giant mechanical cat = win.
I've repeated this so many times but I love both versions of Scratch, first the sleek noble egyptian looking cat, and then the more cartoony plumper super hero cape wearing version - they are both great.
Hasami with the scissor-sword, and the three prefects also look awesome!

Cerci did it with the Hells Belles, just too cool: I heard some guys idea to make magnetized terrain with magnets in the Bells bases so they could be placed vertically on walls just for that flavor, and I love the idea of that.

Black diamond and the paladins, I do like their look but its a runner up for me.
And as for the Noh and Star Nebula Corsairs, they are cool but my heart was already set on Cerci / Doctrine.

Deke posted on the official SPM forums a 'very' brief rundown of the factions.

Cerci - Creation / speed
Doctrine - Esper Control.
Shattered Sword - Order / Armor
Black Diamond - Shooty
Noh - Brutal melee
Star Nebula Corsairs - versatile.
Something on those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my picks as of now would have to be:

1) Star Nebula Corsairs
2) Noh Empire
3) Doctrine

Ok ok, remainder beyond the top three:

4) Black Diamond
5) Cerci Speed Circuit
6) Shattered Sword

ヽ(´ー`)┌
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
(^_-) And the remaining 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't backed yet, and may not do so. However, I'm following things enough to have some opinion:
1) Cerci Speed Circuit: they concentrate on speed, and look high-tech
2) Black Diamond: again, high-tech. And shooty is an acceptable alternative to speed.
3, 4) Was Corsairs, Doctrine; might be Doctrine, Corsairs now. Sticking with the high-tech theme originally, but I do really like that cat-themed team.
5) Shattered Sword: gothic is not as fun, specializing in defense is boring to play
6) Noh: just don't like the models

Another consideration is where these factions fit in the color wheel. The 2011 video implied that factions adjacent to each other could work together, which might make a difference to people only pledging for two starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
Bwian wrote:
Another consideration is where these factions fit in the color wheel. The 2011 video implied that factions adjacent to each other could work together, which might make a difference to people only pledging for two starters.

A good point. We'll see how that jives with the (official?) word that there will be no mixed-faction play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the addition of Sci-ninjas for the upcoming lvl 2 boost, Black Diamond have overtaken the Shattered Sword Paladins in my personal ranking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
This one is hard for me. They're all really pretty close on pure figure aesthetic, but if I have to pick, countdown style:

6. Noh - Rarely a fan of the bad guys. Oni are neat looking, but never really a style that's appealed to me.
5. Black Diamond - I actually really like these guys in theory, but what we've actually seen is a little bland compared to the rest of the line. The troops and tank are quite bland and take up a lot of figure space.
4. Shattered Sword - This one hurts me, because I love the art direction and design, but the models feel off to me. The big mech feels awkward somehow, not as sleek as I'd like, and some of the poses on the minions feel awkward (weird knees). Some of the models I've seen like the prior leader of the order look amazing though.
3. Doctrine - Lots of neat, unique designs here. Honestly, this one loses points almost entirely because of the lecher figure.
2. Cerci - Yet there's no lack of fanservice here. These girls just give the game so much vibrant color and style I had to rank them up here. The little spider mech is a little bland though.

and the number 1...

1. Corsairs - This one didn't start anywhere near my top 3 even, but its really latched on to me. The hook is definitely the main model, whose Tron Bonne style sells the whole faction. Beyond that they're loaded with unique figures that give you a bit of everything. A tanooki chef, a bit of the oni style? All good things in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
LunarSol wrote:
1. Corsairs - This one didn't start anywhere near my top 3 even, but its really latched on to me. The hook is definitely the main model, whose Tron Bonne style sells the whole faction. Beyond that they're loaded with unique figures that give you a bit of everything. A tanooki chef, a bit of the oni style? All good things in my book.

Indeed, I think they have the most sculpts of the line! They may shape up to be the wild card faction, in every respect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Noh Empire
I really like the Oni-look of these. Which is weird, because they share some visual elements of orcs and ogres, which I normally don't like at all. Maybe it's simply the addition of hair and ornaments on armor and weapons? The female Nohs' elegance is a nice contrast to the pure brutishness of the male ones. I still wish the former would be wearing something that would approach being clothes though... The relic knight is gigantic and intimidating and the Agha hounds look really scary. All in all, I prefer this faction for its visual appeals, but it's never bad to have a brutal close combat force in one's repertoire.

2. Black Diamond
The questing knight, the giant, axe-wielding mecha and the ninjas are just awesome! Those are the main reasons why I rank this faction so high. The normal soldiers and the tank look a bit bland. I guess that's ok though: They're the faceless grunts that get tossed around by the real heroes. The relic knight is a bit weird. The pilot's pose might be fine if you want to paint the miniature and put it on display, but it feels out of place in a combat situation. This faction seems to focus more on ranged combat, which is a nice change of pace from my favorite faction.

3 / 4 / 5. Cerci Speed Circuit, Star Nebula Corsairs, Doctrine
While Noh, Diamond and Sword are easy to rank for me, I'm having a hard time to decide how to rank the remaining three factions. I really have to conclude which one I like least, because I am thinking about pledging Double Savior, which means that I get only four of the six factions.
- Betty and Lug form a nice mechanics team, the PACE robot reminds me favorably of the Tachikomas from GitS: SAC and I really like the idea of having a bunch of fast jet bikes zooming around. The relic knight mecha looks interesting, too. However, it seems to be a prerequisite for female racers to possess giant boobs that have to be shown as much as possible. Seriously, why would anyone wear those outfits while driving an open-topped racing vehicle? This stupid fanservice is a major reason for me not to play Cerci.
- I find none of the Corsairs miniatures outstanding, but I don't hate any of them, either. Except for Squall with her badly sculpted face and her stripperiffic outfit. The main draw is that they are space pirates. I mean, come on: Space pirates! They also seem to be a flexible jack-of-all-trades faction, which is nice to have around. Especially when two of my factions will be the close combat focused Noh Empire and the shooty Black Diamond.
- How cool is a giant cat mecha?! Hrm. That had to be said. Too bad that its pilot follows the Speed Circuit's fashion guidelines. Kisa, Fiametta and the old man with his assistant are the main reasons to stay away from the Doctrine. The little girl with her bodyguard cypher, the three prefects and the golem are quite cool though. I have heard that this faction specializes in “esper manipulation”. Controlling the card flow certainly makes this faction interesting and sets it apart from the more combat oriented ones.

6. Shattered Sword
Lots of guys (and gals) in bulky bland armor. That look just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, they are a bunch of goody good-doer, lawful good, knight-in-shining-armor paladins... Boring! I also don't need a second close combat oriented faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jacobus
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went from liking one, to maybe picking up a second, to not being able to pick between three.

Doctrine was the first pick. The anime look to the Sailor Moon style, plus the hefty Librarian, definitely sold me early.

Speed Circuit was maybe a little too cheesecake for my tastes, but the background concept has made it better. And the models *will* look lovely, even with my meager painting talents.

I expected to like the Pirates more, because Iron Chef. He's that awesome. But the line troops didn't do much for me. The newer models with the Captain Harlock look, a definite improvement, so they've back on the to-buy list.

Noh and Black Diamond look nice, but aren't grabbing me otherwise. I expect both to be popular. Paladins simply do nothing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the crew sizes you could setup with the starters (Based on PDFs from their website).
And I´m REALLY surprised they add up to totaly different values.

Noh Starter: 42 points
Black Diamond Starter: 58 points
Shattered Starter: 73 points
Doctrine Starter: 42 points
Cerci Starter: 51 points
Nebula Starter: 60 points

So if my friend bougth Black Diamond starter and wanted to play a 50 points scenario with me, and I bough Noh or Doctrine I do have a problem.

Any idea why they did this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall something on the SPM forums about larger figures taking up more space, or more costly to produce - but I'm really not certain, I don't think there was an official answer by SPM.

Lines42 wrote:
I just checked the crew sizes you could setup with the starters (Based on PDFs from their website).

The next stretch goal of extra chunkier minions (Librarian, Blitz Tank etc) is pretty much a guarantee, so will that help at all?

EDIT: Clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

Well, you pay for the miniatures, not the points. Some factions just have minions that are the same size as miniatures from other factions, but cost more points because they are more powerful. Other factions have big guys that use a lot of material to produce and take up space in the starter box, but don't cost that many points. SPM could have cut minions from the factions with small, but expensive miniatures, but then you would have gotten less product for your money. I rather have it the way that it is. At least each faction starter comes with more than 35 points (or way more than 65 points, if you pledge on kickstarter in the next few days), so you can play a small game with a single box per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
Nice info, but this might have been better in a new thread (^_-)v

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
Nice info, but this might have been better in a new thread (^_-)v

You´re right. It´s faction specific so I thought I´d post it here.
If you think it´s of enough interest for a new thread feel free to open one and copy paste my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Lines42 wrote:
And I´m REALLY surprised they add up to totaly different values.

Noh Starter: 42 points
Black Diamond Starter: 58 points
Shattered Starter: 73 points
Doctrine Starter: 42 points
Cerci Starter: 51 points
Nebula Starter: 60 points

So if my friend bougth Black Diamond starter and wanted to play a 50 points scenario with me, and I bough Noh or Doctrine I do have a problem.

My understanding is that they're still working on rules for squads, which pretty well explains the situation. Right now, each individual squad figure is considered a single hero style figure, but I suspect they'll be grouped in the final game. This means that instead of getting 35 points worth of Sword Guard, we'll probably see one Squad of them for 7 points in the final game (-28 points). Likewise, Cerci has 24 points worth of Bells, but they'll probably become a 3 man squad for 8 (-16 points). It's possible the Paragons could also be like a 2 man squad as well, which would cut Shatter by another 9 points and be almost exactly 35 for both.

EDIT: This actually works across the board. If you group every duplicate model cost, you get the following:

Noh Starter: 34 points
Black Diamond Starter: 34 points
Shattered Starter: 36 points
Doctrine Starter: 32 points
Cerci Starter: 35 points
Nebula Starter: 32 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Current feelings on this as it relates to the kickstarter:

1. Corsairs - Want every model. The only one where I want to buy everything. Gabe, the trio of extra purchased characters, everything in the kickstarter bundle, everything.

2. Shattered Sword - I'm leaning heavily this way simply because I want all the base kickstarter stuff. The base kickstarter stuff is almost everything I want for the faction. Unlikely to buy the bonus pack. Navarre is interesting, but neither the Ogre's model nor stats really appeal to me.

3. Cerci - This is one I want, but can probably pick up a starter later. Rin seems super important to the faction, but both her and Suicide Queen push the faction a little too far into the TnA category for me. In some ways I want the add on pack more than the base, as Betty and Lug look terrific, though I'm pretty meh on the mechanics.

4. Doctrine - Another one I can probably wait on the starter. Red and her Big Bad Wolf are interesting and unique, but not the Egyptian scholar style I like in the rest of the faction. Togen is a model I'm activately embarrassed to see in the game and have no desire to own at all. Again, I'm probably far more interested in the add on stuff, with Tycho being a big draw along with the prefects and company.

5. Noh - These figures aren't my style, but they're incredibly well done. It's consistent, elegant and quite distinct.

6. Black Diamond - I'm glad there's a faceless grunts faction in the game, but the offerings thus far haven't sold me. Subject 7 bugs me just because I don't get why fictionally, anyone would insist that 3 women with completely different outfits and distinct hairstyles must be the same person. It's really the tank that bugs me the most though, just because I find it kind of dull. I think if instead of the tank there were a pair of guys in smaller suits of purple power armor like Magnus or the Assault suit and I'd be sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSol wrote:
My understanding is that they're still working on rules for squads, which pretty well explains the situation. Right now, each individual squad figure is considered a single hero style figure, but I suspect they'll be grouped in the final game. This means that instead of getting 35 points worth of Sword Guard, we'll probably see one Squad of them for 7 points in the final game (-28 points). Likewise, Cerci has 24 points worth of Bells, but they'll probably become a 3 man squad for 8 (-16 points). It's possible the Paragons could also be like a 2 man squad as well, which would cut Shatter by another 9 points and be almost exactly 35 for both.

Sounds reasonable, Lunar.
I guess we´ll have to wait for the final rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSol wrote:
Subject 7 bugs me just because I don't get why fictionally, anyone would insist that 3 women with completely different outfits and distinct hairstyles must be the same person.

Dr Who and the Time Lords

Jet Li's "The One" Except with more cooperation, where a criminal version of himself travels through the different dimensions and kills off the other versions of himself to gain their strength.

EDIT: Added the humorous pic and cleared up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I posted the question about Faction Starter point calculation in the moderated forum.
If you´re interested please go there and mark the question as "good" to push it into the priority list.
https://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=1ff277&t=1ff277.40&f=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.