Subject: On the 70th Anniversary of Stalingrad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
the "official" start of Stalingrad being August 23rd...

Time has a small photo collection of the city taken in 1947, 5 years after the battle. Unbelievable how devasted it still is, but I guess for most of those 5 years the Soviets still had a war to win:

http://life.time.com/history/stalingrad-1947-a-world-in-piec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:
Unbelievable how devasted it still is, but I guess for most of those 5 years the Soviets still had a war to win

There was that tricky post-war 'enslave half a continent' phase that probably distracted from the reconstruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
There was that tricky post-war 'enslave half a continent' phase that probably distracted from the reconstruction.

We like to call it project: redecorate Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Three years ago I worked with a very nice woman from Russia. One day we were chatting about our home towns, and she said "I'm from a big industrial city, but you've probably never heard of it. It's called Volgograd."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Three years ago I worked with a very nice woman from Russia. One day we were chatting about our home towns, and she said "I'm from a big industrial city, but you've probably never heard of it. It's called Volgograd."

Had you heard of it?

Don't leave us hanging, I need anecdote closure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:
Time has a small photo collection of the city taken in 1947, 5 years after the battle. Unbelievable how devasted it still is, but I guess for most of those 5 years the Soviets still had a war to win

I recently watched a TV feature on the 1948 Olympics in London, and there was quite an emphasis on how visitors marvelled at the destruction from the wartime bombings that was still in evidence. I don't think London suffered nearly the pounding that Stalingrad did, so if London was still a mess in '48, it doesn't surprise me that Stalingrad was a year earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

We like to call it project: redecorate Europe.

"Extreme Extended Makeover"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

How do explain all of the rubble that hadn't been cleared away in England, France, and Italy? And all of the building that hadn't been rebuilt? The only reason that Paris was in good shape is that it had been declared an open city.

The Nazis certainly seem to deserve some of the blame. They destroyed a lot of industrial equipment and production that might have replaced it had to be diverted to producing arms instead (an economic deadweight loss).

Finally, this theory would need to demonstrate that Eastern Europe actually absorbed so much of the Soviet leadership's attention that they could not even tell the bureaucracy to work on reconstruction. Or that keeping hold of Eastern Europe required so much construction equipment that there wasn't enough available to rebuild the Soviet Union, which seems like a truly odd strategic decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

The only reason that Paris was in good shape is that it had been declared an open city.

Well Hitler did order the better part of Paris dynamited instead of handing it over intact, but the HGIC (Head German in Charge) wisely ignored the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:

Well Hitler did order the better part of Paris dynamited instead of handing it over intact, but the HGIC (Head German in Charge) wisely ignored the order.

"Is Paris Burning" Both good movie and good book been so long since I read or watched can't remember how much of the movie was BS. But I do remember that the DVD version I have is missing a few scenes from some earlier version I watched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete with Gert Frobe, Mr. Auric Goldfinger himself, as the Paris CIC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.