Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first scenario last night (Castle...), 4 heroes and an overlord. We wanted to give the game a try to see if we liked it but weren't committing to start a full campaign. Some of us had experience with a little of the 1st edition, but not much.

A few things we thought afterward that although we enjoyed it could've made it more interesting. I realize a campaign would help some of these.

* Monsters keep respawning so what's the point in killing them? Of course you need to to get them out of your way and not die but if I kill the one in front of me he'll just spawn behind me. Seemed like it didn't end and was just wave after wave, which doesn't feel much like a "scenario".

* There was no loot for killing the monsters so that wasn't an incentive. Gold or an item drop would've made it much more interesting

* There was no item upgrading. I know this would be fixed by playing the campaign and really committing to your character but for an RPG feel it would've been cool to upgrade from monster loot or a buy phase at the halftime part. I should note that we didn't do the "search" action much and when we did we only found potions so maybe there's better stuff in there than we found.

Otherwise we did really enjoy the game a lot and I'm glad I bought it but I wish these were different as I feel it's a game that my group would get out occasionally for a scenario but not commit to an ongoing campaign for.

Thoughts on fixes to make individual scenarios better from these standpoints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only playing scenarios, then you might want to play with the special rules to give you some exp and money to buy skills and equipment from the purchase deck. This kinda gives you a similar feel to how Descent 1st would play out per quest.

Why monsters keep re-spawning and there being no real reward for killing them off all comes from playing a campaign. This is the real reason to play D2e, the campaign mode. There is more satisfaction from finishing off a quest and "leveling" your character up through the 9 quests. Also, hitting up the search items is the luck of drawing the chest card to get a free, random item from it. There is only a 1/12 chances of drawing it and even then you only have 8 possibilities in finding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help Andrew. What are these "special" rules that you reference?

Edit: I think you're referencing these. These could certainly help.

Advanced Level: Each hero receives 3 experience points worth of Class
cards and 150 gold worth of Act I Shop Item cards (of their choice—
heroes may share gold). The overlord receives 4 experience points worth
of Overlord cards.

Expert Level: Each hero receives 6 experience points worth of Class cards
and 250 gold worth of Act I or Act II Shop Item cards (of their choice—
heroes may share gold). The overlord receives 8 experience points worth
of Overlord cards. The overlord uses his Act II Monster and Lieutenant
cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding monster spawning: You kill monsters in order to complete your objective and stop the Overlord from reaching its objective.

If you are playing with a group of 4 heroes, the heroes should be aiming to kill monsters faster than the OL can reinforce them. If you are killing so few that the OL is staying at full strength with reinforcements, things are probably going badly for the heroes!

Regarding leveling up between quests: Descent 2e is really designed around campaign play is pretty much all it comes down to. If you want to play a lot of one-shot games, you'll probably want to come up with some custom rules to add some advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Super dungeon explore for your group

more you kill more reward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that in Castle Daerion, the Overlord only gets one monster per turn, total. If you can kill the monsters faster than that, you'll be able to stop worrying about them.

However, keep in mind that the objectives in this game are entirely scenario based. Killing monsters may help you finish your objectives, but the objective does need to come first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is all about the campaign. There's not much satisfaction to be had from one off scenarios. In our latest campaign we played Castle Daerion and had fun in the first encounter trying to protect those useless villagers, while the second encounter was a bit of a flop. Our OL used barghest at the river and shadow dragons (as he always does when they are available)at the cabin. We left Leoric on the river tile with LOS to the entrance and gatehouse, while the rest of us took on the shadow dragons and lit the beacons. The OL blocked the gatehouse and cabin with the dragons and the game became an intense struggle as Leoric took care of spawning barghest and any which survived long enough to rush past towards the villagers huddling in the gatehouse. After the dragon blocking the gatehouse was killed all three remaining heros took on the master dragon blocking the cabin while poor old Leoric struggled to hold back the barghest (juiced up with OL cards like dash n frenzy). It was only Tombles heroic action which got him into the cabin to light the last beacon just as Leoric was losing the fight to save the reamianing villagers against barghest and the newly spawned dragon. 2 dead villagers and 2 barely alive villagers in an intense encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
A few things we thought afterward that although we enjoyed it could've made it more interesting. I realize a campaign would help some of these.

* Monsters keep respawning so what's the point in killing them? Of course you need to to get them out of your way and not die but if I kill the one in front of me he'll just spawn behind me. Seemed like it didn't end and was just wave after wave, which doesn't feel much like a "scenario".

Most quests - made up of two encounters or scenarios - have a particular goal for each side to achieve. That goal is rarely "kill X number of generic monsters". If you want to just stand in a room endlessly cutting down waves of zombies you can do that, but what you actually need to do is concentrate on completing the encounter's goal.

Quote:

* There was no loot for killing the monsters so that wasn't an incentive. Gold or an item drop would've made it much more interesting

The only real incentive for killing monsters is that they get in the way of you achieving your goal. The game is very much about balancing the need to complete your set task, the need to thin out the monsters so that you can achieve that task, and the desire to pick up items from the search deck. The latter only really comes into play in the campaign, as searching will usually get you gold that the party can spend after the current quest is over. If you don't collect any gold, you can't buy stuff; if you spend too much time grabbing gold, you won't win the current encounter.

Quote:

* There was no item upgrading. I know this would be fixed by playing the campaign and really committing to your character but for an RPG feel it would've been cool to upgrade from monster loot or a buy phase at the halftime part. I should note that we didn't do the "search" action much and when we did we only found potions so maybe there's better stuff in there than we found.

There are a couple of trinkets in there, but it's really a campaign issue.

The campaign looks like it's short enough to be worth investing the time in, and we hope to complete it over six sessions or so. You don't really need the same personnel to play in every session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloboy wrote:
May I suggest Super dungeon explore for your group

more you kill more reward

SDE! The ultimate "they keep spawning as fast as I can kill them" game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.