5 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: stars placement in the deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
hi all,

after reading the rules a few times and playing the game 2 times, i have a question abiut the stars placement in the deck.

mercenery : i understand that the star goes in the deck and you shuffle it. you also need to remove a player. I dont understand the mechanic logic behind this. why this kind of star need to have a different way to work. For me, it add a level of complexity for nothing. However, i am sure that the creator made this rule for something. Can someone explain it to me?

Other stars: they go on top of your pile. Yesterday, we tried a houserules that you add your stars to the deck but shuffle it between each week. This way, it prevent to have a player with 3 new stars for the new weeks and you got nothing because you won fans and not stars. It was easier to follow with new players but I wonder if we didnt remove some strategy with this houserules. what are your toughts?

thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Devilix wrote:
hi all,

after reading the rules a few times and playing the game 2 times, i have a question abiut the stars placement in the deck.

mercenery : i understand that the star goes in the deck and you shuffle it. you also need to remove a player. I dont understand the mechanic logic behind this. why this kind of star need to have a different way to work. For me, it add a level of complexity for nothing. However, i am sure that the creator made this rule for something. Can someone explain it to me?

This is called a "FreeBooter." Originally it was mandatory to get rid of another player to make room for this new player. The "theme" behind it is you only have so much room on your roster so if you add a player, you need to cut a player. Another way to look at it is that one player is getting "upgraded" to another. However, it has been stated that the removal of another player is optional. But it is usually better to get rid of a player as the Freebooter is an improvement so mechanically you have a more efficient deck.

Quote:
Other stars: they go on top of your pile. Yesterday, we tried a houserules that you add your stars to the deck but shuffle it between each week. This way, it prevent to have a player with 3 new stars for the new weeks and you got nothing because you won fans and not stars. It was easier to follow with new players but I wonder if we didnt remove some strategy with this houserules. what are your toughts?

The point of the Star Player is that they have an immediate impact to the next week's game. it is purposely set up this way. if you shuffle the deck between each week, there is no guarantee that you will see the Star Player (ever, if you always reshuffle) and that makes that reward much less attractive.

So I do not think it is a good idea to shuffle in Star Players. They need to stay on the top of the deck when first gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have never seen the term "Mercenary" for this game but based on your description it seems to are referring to the Star Players with the "Freebooter" ability. The idea behind this card is that when you draft it you look at your whole team deck and take out a card that is already on your team (typically you will pick a linesman or something with low star power). Then you will replace the removed card with the newly acquired freebooter star player and shuffle your entire deck. By replacing your low star card with your freebooter you are increasing the chances of seeing the freebooter come into play.

The other non-freebooter star players are drafted to the top of your team draw deck. Even if your friends didn't get star players they should be conscious of this fact in the early game and even if they don't get star players then they should be pursuing either team/staff upgrades. Even though fans are the way you win the game, players should IMO bee seeking upgrades from early on in the game and consider early fans a bonus. The game is quite balanced when you factor in the staff and team upgrades. One star player on the top of your deck is not going to "throw" the game for the other players. I would suggest you remove the house rule and just accept that getting upgrades early on is helpful and that they should be pursued.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
thanks a lot. this help a lot. I will not play with this house rule anymore.

about the mercenery term, my game is in french and they use the term mercenaire.

another question : with experience, do you have found a way to collect the rewards at the end of a week without it been hard to follow. i mean, there is a lot going at the same time. ex :solve first match, you get 2 stars kerp one, three equipement keep one,while you look at this 5 cards, you receive more for another match. if someone is not following, it can easely become chaotic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devilix wrote:
thanks a lot. this help a lot. I will not play with this house rule anymore.

about the mercenery term, my game is in french and they use the term mercenaire.

another question : with experience, do you have found a way to collect the rewards at the end of a week without it been hard to follow. i mean, there is a lot going at the same time. ex :solve first match, you get 2 stars kerp one, three equipement keep one,while you look at this 5 cards, you receive more for another match. if someone is not following, it can easely become chaotic!

You should be resolving each match-up one at a time. We typically resolve the tournament first and then resolve the others descending from the tournament/Spike! Magazine deck. This makes it less chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.