Zombicide» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've instigated a house rule for my zombicide sessions.

LOOT THE BODY. Sometimes a player dies at the hands of a zombie attack and has all the cool stuff. If you can remove all zombies off the body within one round and then use an action to loot the body, you can grab one item per loot action.

When I run out of Zombies for a given type, I do NOT take the extra turn. they just don't populate. extra turns kill the players most instantly...

There are others that I plan on making, but this is the most benifical to try to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get to play the game yet, but the extra turns for the zombies seems like a needed mechanic. I see the zombie pool (or lack of) as a way to remember you that once there are no zombies to spawn, you're gonna have a bad time. It's up to you to regulate it and chop some heads off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Honestly, I'm finding the extra tray of zombies from the Abomination pack is making the game a little easy. The extra turns from the zombies are really the only threatening thing in the game. It may be that they're a little too unfairly threatening, but I think they're definitely important.

Of course, I'm not happy with the idea of putting fewer figures on the board either. I'm probably just going to start adding more spawn points to the maps... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the time that the zombies get thier extra turn is very tough on everyone involved... and usually comes at the worst time possible... And if you have multiple spawn points, say 3, the lack of walkers on the first spawn point give the walkers TWO extra turns if you pull two walker cards.

Hence the rule of no walkers.

BUT then, I just added more walkers to my game by buying more online. They are not zombicide walkers, but they might do. going to wait until they arrive int he mail to give my review of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Honestly, I'm finding the extra tray of zombies from the Abomination pack is making the game a little easy.

yeah, I don't think you're supposed to use the extra tray unless a scenario calls for them. The rulebook specifies how many zombies are part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Cochran
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We haven't had that much problem with extra turns UNLESS we're using the 'walk of the dead' cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
lingster wrote:
the time that the zombies get thier extra turn is very tough on everyone involved... and usually comes at the worst time possible... And if you have multiple spawn points, say 3, the lack of walkers on the first spawn point give the walkers TWO extra turns if you pull two walker cards.

Hence the rule of no walkers.

BUT then, I just added more walkers to my game by buying more online. They are not zombicide walkers, but they might do. going to wait until they arrive int he mail to give my review of them.

I just bought the game through a BGG sale, and what I might do if I need any more zombies, is use some from my Zombies!!! game. I bought a few extra bags of zombies, so I might as well use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
I didn't get to play the game yet, but the extra turns for the zombies seems like a needed mechanic. I see the zombie pool (or lack of) as a way to remember you that once there are no zombies to spawn, you're gonna have a bad time. It's up to you to regulate it and chop some heads off

Absolutely. Extra turns for zombies are your punishment for playing poorly; it's how the game keeps things balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the Zombies!!1 game is way too small for this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hines
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Professor Plum wrote:

yeah, I don't think you're supposed to use the extra tray unless a scenario calls for them. The rulebook specifies how many zombies are part of the game.

Where does it do that? It's not ever mentioned in the rulebook that I found. None of the scenarios seem to mention the extra tray. It only lists what the game comes with.

Edit: yeah, I'm dumb. I guess we just did the "no reload rule" like above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here aare my updated house rules. I've taken some from others that have come up with them and will be using them. Some of these have yet to be playtested and show multiple ways of using it. Once I playtest, I will fix the rule to be one standard.

LOOT: When a survivor falls, you have one turn to loot the body. To loot, you must first clear off any zombies in the fallen survivor’s zone. Then using an action, you can loot the body and take one item off the body. You can only loot once per body. On the zombies turn, the fallen survivor is replaced with a walker zombie.

OVERWATCH: This action can be taken when a zombie does an attack action in the survivor’s zone. He is able to do one combat action. A survivor that takes this action forfeits his next turn. OR he forfeits two actions this turn to do this action. And only one survivor per zone can be on overwatch.

ABOMINIATION: The Abomination has the ability to open doors. When following sound, he will take the shortest route, this includes going through closed doors. He takes one action to smash in a door, thereby rendering the door permanently open. This action takes place before any other zombie actions.

RANGED COMBAT: If you fire in a zone that has survivors in it, a miss means that you hit the survivor. OR a 1 on ranged hits the survivor, OR a miss on a zombie rerolls to see if the survivor gets hit.

AXES and CHAINSAWS: These permanently open doors. They cannot be closed again.

FLASHLIGHTS: These negate the Ahhh! Zombie cards. Flashlights also illuminate zones during night missions, but only line of site into an adjacent zone. If no flashlight is held, then you can only target in the same zone.

SCOPE: This allows night vision into any zone the rifle can shoot into.

NOISE: If the noise counters in a zone exceed 9, an Abominiation
appears. If an abomination is already on the game board, a second one appears, provided you have the extra miniature. This spawns at the nearest spawn point. If you have no more abominations, a fatty with his walker friends appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
We were playing earlier and we came up with a few house rules we thought made of sense (at least for us).

RANGED COMBAT: Shooting in your currently occupied space only hits other survivors if you roll a 1. Basically you missed so badly that you accidentally shot someone else.

CARS: You can spend an action to "honk the horn", essentially causing the same effect as the 'Loud' skill. Still can be overridden by someone using 'Loud'.

LOOT: Upon survivor death the two items the character has on hand are dropped in the square (others are discarded). These may be picked up as an Action.

DEATH: At the end of the turn (after zombie spawns) after a survivor dies they return as a zombie. Depending on how far along they were they become either a Walker (Blue), Fatty (Yellow), Runner (Orange), or Abomination (Red). Only did that for stereotypical zombie canon.

THROW STONE: Same as make noise, but can toss it one square away.

We also used the ABOMINATION rule where they take the path of least resistance and break down doors. That was fun when we had 2 of them out and closing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ling

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "death" rule sounds cool and also maddening.. especially when everyone's in red....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes M.
msg tools
I thought of another rule, which makes the game more realistic, and probably a bit harder. Zombies don't go through open doors they can't see in order to get to the loudest zone. Instead, the will go to the nearest closed door. If 2 closed doors are equal distance, normal splitting rules apply.

This is for scenarios where the survivors clear out a building, leaving one entrance on the far side, and wait for the horde to funnel into the building before fleeing out the back door. This strategy becomes a bit more difficult to complete successfully.

Scenario

() open door
X closed door
SS Survivors (or lots of noise)
Z Zombies

+-()-+
|.......|
|.......|
|.......| Z
|.......| Z
|.......| Z
|.......|
|.......X
|.......|
|.......|
|.SS..|
+----+

Other Rules (not play tested, may need tweaking):

% Healing - Adding "Hot Spots" to the game board, like where known pharmacies or hospitals are. When searched, there's a chance to find a trauma kit. Sometimes, there will be nothing there, as it's already been looted by previous survivors. Create a stack of tokens that are identical on one side, on the opposite side, some have the medical icon, some have an "X" or "empty" written on it. Shuffle them up, and place on the board. When found, spend 1 action to flip it over. If it's not empty, you may use it for free, otherwise you can put it in your backpack and spend an additional action later to use.

% Optional Addon to above: First use of the trauma kit requires 1 action, second use: 2 actions, 3rd use 3 actions, etc. This is to simulate the ability to use non-medical supplies to heal wounds, though that usually is more error prone, and takes more time. Duct Tape & SuperGlue come to mind.

% Special Experience/Abilities from achievements:

# "Found Their Weakspot"
While in the "blue" XP zone, kill 5 zombies in a single turn
While in the "yellow" XP zone, kill 7 zombies in a single turn

Effect (permanent)
You've learned a bit more about how the zombies act and where their weaknesses are. You may reroll a SINGLE failed dice during a combat action. If multiple dice were rolled, you may choose one failed dice, and reroll. All other dice values remain unchanged. This stacks with Lucky and Lots of Ammo.

More to come...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes M.
msg tools
I've also thought of some other ideas, regarding looting and weapons.

Buildings/rooms can be searched only a limited number of times (put tokens on the board in each room, and remove as it's searched).

Create special stacks of loot based on specific buildings. For instance, fireaxes, crowbars, machetes, katana, pistols can be found almost anywhere.

Sawed Off shotguns can be found in the "bad" part of town.

Pistols, Reg. Shotgun, Rifles can be found at the police station, police cars.
Rifles can be found in residential buildings also.

Chainsaws can be found in "garden sheds". Maybe the only spot that is lootable outside.

You'll find more food than weapons in Restaurants (almost not worth searching).

Other loot rules:
You may search an additional time per turn at the cost of 2 actions.

Other Abilities:
Blocking - Instead of taking something from you AND inflicting a wound, roll a dice, on a 1-3, you block the attack, but lose your equipment. on 4-6, you lose your equipment and get a wound.

If you are already wounded, 1-2 blocks the attack, 3-6 is death.

"Hard to Kill" - 3 wounds kill instead of 2.

"Good Aim" - May choose targets freely with ranged weapons (except scatterguns)

Zombies Abilities:
"Where the hell are they coming from?!"
Zombie hoards make noise, that attract more zombies. If there are 6 or more zombies in a single zone, after 1st activation, add another walker to that zone.

"Double Tap"
(requires that miniatures be "marked" and each type be placed in separate opaque bags to draw out of when spawning).
- Mark some walkers/runners red or another color, those zombies require 2 damage or 2 hits with a 1 damage weapon to kill.

"Travel Light"
If your inventory is completely full, you may not use all your actions to move. Example: 4 actions = 3 movements (max) + anything else.

"Get a Kick Ass Partner"
You may "partner up" with another survivor in the same zone. Spend actions equivalent to the highest experienced partner +1. Any action done is done by both partners at the same time.

"Use Your Foot"
Don't have a frying pan? May use your foot instead. Same range, accuracy, damage, etc apply.

"Limber Up"
Spend 1 action to "limber up". Melee rolls may be rerolled as if you had "plenty of ammo". Lasts 2 turns. May only limber up in a zombie-free zone.

"When in doubt know your way out"
- Scenario specific, requires prior setup and special tokens.
- A building does not have any "pre-defined" entrances or exits. You must "search" for both. Put special tokens on each zone face down. Some tokens are "no door", others reveal a "door". When searching inside the building, also flip a face-down token in the same zone to reveal a possible closed door. You may also search on the zones outside of the building, but this search action only reveals whether or not there is a door there. Doors revealed in this way do not require an action or special equipment to open.
- Bonus: some of your tokens can be marked as locked, unlocked, or "no door". Locked doors must be found and opened by normal means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostsquadron wrote:
"Good Aim" - May choose targets freely with ranged weapons

That already exists, and is called "Sniper".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack J.

Michigan
msg tools
My house rules have been:

Chaz the Eagle (always felt GG dropped the ball here)
May make melee attacks without a weapon...he IS a weapon. Using hands and feet may make melee attacks at 4+ S1.

Cars (we feel cars are waaay over the top)
1. Cars have wounds too. Ramming zombies can desotry them. For every zombie killed roll a D6. On a six the car is damaged beyond repair.

2. Cars can only go one direction pure action. Example: They cannot move forward one space and back one space in one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bio9 wrote:
My house rules have been:

Chaz the Eagle (always felt GG dropped the ball here)
May make melee attacks without a weapon...he IS a weapon. Using hands and feet may make melee attacks at 4+ S1.

Cars (we feel cars are waaay over the top)
1. Cars have wounds too. Ramming zombies can desotry them. For every zombie killed roll a D6. On a six the car is damaged beyond repair.

2. Cars can only go one direction pure action. Example: They cannot move forward one space and back one space in one action.

I like all of these! I've played Chaz a few times and he's been the worst survivor every time! He's been unlucky with equipment whilst everybody else got better stuff and it's left me feeling very 'meh' about one of the coolest survivors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runic Luke
msg tools
Hey guys!

A few house rules I'm thinking of adding are:

Abominations: Can break through doors as a free action if they're in the way of the shortest route. Deal 2 wounds per attack instead of one. (I believe both of these in play make the Abominations scarier as they should be, but still not TOO ridiculous)

Zombie Hoard: If there are 10 or more walkers/fatties on a zone with a door at the start of their activation, and it lies in the way of the shortest path, they can break through it as a free action.

Not you too!: If a survivor dies, lay down their miniature in the zone they were in. During the zombie spawn phase, replace their miniature with their zombivor mini. They are now a zombie. They have 2 toughness (like a fatty), and 2 activations (like a runner). Obviously you wouldn't use this rule if you're using the regular zombivor rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pace Rock
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys. I just play to a wii game call deadrising chop till you drop. I know it is a old game but I just play it during the last month. I was thinking of all the similitude from the wii game and zombicide....I know now where the idea of zombicide is coming.

In deadrising the caracter eat fruit to gain life back...Maybe we could eat food to take off one wound for each food card you take. So the famous food cards can become very usefull and in the same time we could bet the game maybe more often.

What is you thought on my idea.

Good day !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkcoman wrote:

In deadrising the caracter eat fruit to gain life back...Maybe we could eat food to take off one wound for each food card you take. So the famous food cards can become very usefull and in the same time we could bet the game maybe more often.

What is you thought on my idea.

Good day !
its a super cheep, thats make the game to easy. If you want regain health with foods (and make game easy at all), that should be something like this:
1) survivor must collect 3 different food cards in his inventrory.
2) survivor may combine all 3 foods in 1 inventory space, "make a ration" action, its free action, like other combine actions.
3) survivor may eat his ration. Its a free action, but its can be done in the end of survivor's turn. Of course no zombies must be in the zone.

I am use similar house rule, but instead health, its brings "+1 action next turn" in my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pace Rock
Canada
flag msg tools

I like the combining systeme. Like if you want to eat some rice, you need water to go with it. Or you need to open canne with a knife or axe or something else. 3 foods for a ration is a good idea also.

Personnaly, I find the game hard and my co player find it harder thant me, so I think this is kind of a solution. I personnaly prefer this idea than the zombivor idea they already implant in official rules...witch I don't play often because it out of the thematic...

This is my own personnal opinion on the subject.

Have a nice day.

Pace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To make supplies more useful:
EAT SOMETHING- If you are in a zone without Zombies you may spend your whole turn to discard a canned food, water, or bag of rice to remove one wound.

To give you a reason to be quiet (at least at the beginning):
NOISE: If you're team makes no noise on a turn, the amount of zombies spawned in each zone at the end of the turn are reduced by half (rounded up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a few house rules as well.

Instead of "zombivor" rules, we just make it simpler: everyone has 5 HP. It's similar to the 7 total you get otherwise, but instead of losing your yellow ability after 2 damage, you just keep going - but your hand size is also quite limited. (We also just turn cards over instead of trying to find more "wound" cards.) It honestly makes less difference than you'd think, because you rarely take only one or two damage in this game - typically you die because 8 walkers just spawned and then moved into your space thanks to a "walkers go again" card or whatever. It's usually overwhelming past the point that 3 more HP would matter.

We have an extra tray of zombies, and that's not exactly a house rule but I'm sure it probably makes the game easier since we get fewer double-moves, as others have mentioned.

We tend to forgo noise tokens in play because 99% of the time, it's obvious where the zombies are going to go, and the 1% of the time it's not, we can easily remember how much noise was made. It just slows the game down to use them.

We also play custom survivors based on our actual players - which is hilarious and quite fun, I highly recommend it. (Like, one player is a runner so he has 2 move for 1 action, etc.) It's funny because none of us are really combat-focused, but all the other abilities still come in handy often enough to keep us going.

We've also been dying to try more combinations - like rice + water = +1 health, and something + canned food = +1 health. Sounds like others like that idea.

Spending an action to honk the horn is hilarious! I will definitely mention that to the group. Although there's not really a good explanation about how much using a car causes noise anyway. We've just sort of assumed that someone screeching around and running over a dozen zombies would make a LOT of noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.