Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

Just a quick question. The win condition (heroes) for the first encounter in dawnblade is to have a hero be on the tomb when the ray of light hits the tomb (i.e. the heroes need to move there on their 6th turn and in the beginning of the OL's 7th turn the ray of light moves and triggers the win condition).

1) Can the OL play Dark Charm to move the hero off the tomb. The win condition and Dark Charm are both 'start of turn' effects....so this is the timing confusion.

2) Does a knocked out hero figure on the tomb count as a win for the heroes? (Knocked out heroes are only considered to be empty spaces during movement...at least thats what I read in the rulebook) And the scenario doesn't specify hero figure, it just says a hero.

Thanks in advance all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, the OL can use a Dark Charm to move the hero off. When multiple effects would take place at the same time, the player who's turn it currently is decides which order they take place in. (See The Golden Rule on page 18).

However, this may not lead to a very fun situation, where the heroes can't do much but hope for a lucky die roll, so you might want to play that the sunbeam always moves first.

2) This isn't clearly covered, but normally knocked out heroes can only be targeted by abilities that restore health. This isn't exactly an ability, but I'd say the most logical (both ruleswise and thematic) interpretation is that a knocked out hero can't win the encounter. (See the 'Knocked Out Heroes' box on page 15).

However, having a hero knocked out on the objective space at the start of the OL turn is pretty unlikely. If the hero was already down, they'd have spent their turn to recover. So the only way it happens is if the OL plays a trap on the hero that takes the hero's last health just as the hero moves on to the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
1) Can the OL play Dark Charm to move the hero off the tomb. The win condition and Dark Charm are both 'start of turn' effects....so this is the timing confusion.

Good question. I'm not sure. I would lean towards yes, especially since it's not guaranteed to work; the player still performs an attribute test.

TheBurd wrote:
2) Does a knocked out hero figure on the tomb count as a win for the heroes? (Knocked out heroes are only considered to be empty spaces during movement...at least thats what I read in the rulebook) And the scenario doesn't specify hero figure, it just says a hero.

No. When a hero is knocked out, they lose possession of the Dawnblade. To win, the hero must be on the tomb space with the Dawnblade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks you. These are the conclusions we came to as a group too. Just wanted some census....=P

It came down to the dark charm roll....and we failed! Epic rolling though.

The second question came about when we thought about what we could have done differently. And the hero on the tomb actually stood up on turn 5, on turn 6 of overlord he was knocked out, then turn 6 of the heroes the guy stood up and got dark charmed to lose. We were thinking if he just stayed knocked out, then he wouldn't be a valid target for dark charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No. When a hero is knocked out, they lose possession of the Dawnblade. To win, the hero must be on the tomb space with the Dawnblade.

I think you are referring to Encounter 2. In Encounter 1, the heroes don't have the Dawnblade yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're right. Thanks for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
We were thinking if he just stayed knocked out, then he wouldn't be a valid target for dark charm.

You could have moved another hero to the space that would not be as likely to fail the Dark Charm roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
TheBurd wrote:
We were thinking if he just stayed knocked out, then he wouldn't be a valid target for dark charm.

You could have moved another hero to the space that would not be as likely to fail the Dark Charm roll.

Unfortunately that was also the hero that was so weak at that point cause the OL focussed attacks on him, so he'd get knocked out in one shot by any of the 6 monsters on the board.

But I guess we all agree, the hero token does not trigger a victory condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:

Unless you've got (out of the starting heroes) the one hero with Willpower 4, the best you can have is a 3, which still only has a 53%45% chance of success*. Not good odds.

* I'm going off memory on the silver die shield values, so that may be incorrect.

EDIT: Yup, I got the silver die slightly off, so in fact a stat of 3 has a 53% chance of succeeding. Better, but still not something to base a strategy on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.