Subject: Lords of Waterdeep - Where have you been all my life? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now while I've probably given my feeling for this game away in my title, I will carry on undeterred with a brief review.

How best to describe it? I can only echo what I imagine lots of people have already done and call it a Euro game with American standard themeing, set in a D&D world.

Right from the off, I was staggered at how good the components were and the insert tray is second to none I have seen in my gaming journey thus far. The only problem with the insert tray was that it doesn't quite hold some of the components if the box is shaken about at all. Not to worry though after doing my research (and by research I mean that I was told by my cousin who owned the game already) and being armed with some 'Hugo's amazing tape', the problem was quickly remedied. Tadaaaa!!

The game is incredibly easy to explain and although it's pretty much a simple worker placement with some embelishments, it really is amazing how much you have to think about each placement. I feel it gets the headache to fun ratio just about right as you still do have to think about what you are working towards and what your next move is but there are only so many locations to place your meeple so you wont get analysis paralisys.
The social side is fantastic with pleanty of banter happening.

My only two issues and these are minor issues at most.
1) The adventurers are represented by cubes and not meeples. I have since sorted this out by buying a set of the wonderful DnDeeples as supplied by one of our own BGG family.
2) the board without all the cards in place is a tad on the bland side but seeing as you play it with the cards all in place, who cares.

All in all, this is a fantastic effort and it really shows what a bit of TLC can acheive when developing a board game. After writing this, I think I'll give it a run tonight and it will be my first play with my DnDeeples!! Yay!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cannon
England
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sean - I agree and think this is a smashing game. It would be great if you could upload a picture or two of your game board w DnDeeples at the end of your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm guessing that the bland, unused center of the board might be utilized in the upcoming expansion predicted by that 6th grey guy at the 5th round bench.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acorns wrote:
Hi Sean - I agree and think this is a smashing game. It would be great if you could upload a picture or two of your game board w DnDeeples at the end of your game!

No worries, I'll take some pics tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
While share your love of the game, I don't share your love of the insert. It is less than lauditory if you tilt it and loosen the cover in any way....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
While share your love of the game, I don't share your love of the insert. It is less than lauditory if you tilt it and loosen the cover in any way....

-Ski

Hugo's Amazing Tape is the way forward my friend.

A strip of it wrapped around the insert and over lapping on the tavern cards does the job nicely. I'll add a picture of that too if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acorns wrote:

As promised.

There's a few more in the photo's section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Here's how I put the tape around the center components to keep everything in place. So far, so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
See how much you like the tray if you decide to sleeve the cards...

Point taken as I imagine it would render the tray next to useless useless but I haven't evolved to the sleeving stage of my gaming growth yet so I still love the tray.

I know there are faults with it and its far from perfection but I beleive that they did have a good think about the tray and the storage so they have my respect for that alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.