Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious if people had ways to use more of the components in the first edition beyond simply using the monsters/heroes minis?

For instance, is anyone using the coins to keep track of money? Maybe putting a pit marker where they play a pit trap?

Some of these uses could be considered house rules, but I am even looking for uses that don't change the rules or gameplay, but maybe just add to the record keeping, aesthetics of the board, flavor, etc.

With all the great bits in the 1e, it would be great to have ways to use some of them while still in the 2e universe.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using 1st ed coins for money and conquest tokens for exp. Because it's easier than tracking them on the campaign sheet.

I am also using various prop tokens on quests where they make sense instead on objective markers. Off the top of my head I use glyphs in the quest to retrieve the relic bow and stairs in one of the interludes.

Of course, I am also subbing in Hero Quest minis and Reaper minis for NPCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
There was a similar thread to this a few weeks ago.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839319/combining-editions

Some of the ideas were:

- Coins to keep track of money
- Treasure chests instead of search tokens
- The stomach token for when heroes are swallowed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el_chupacabra wrote:
There was a similar thread to this a few weeks ago.

Sorry about that. I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. Threads are being posted so often that it becomes harder to find what you need.

And, if you don't hit on the right search terms....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also using:

Threat Tokens instead of Fatigue for tracking OverLord points.
Familiar Tokens
Rubble for Boulders

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a shit ton of stuff you can use from 1E in 2E. I made a huge list and extracted it all from my 1E box before I put it away for good. A few things off the top of my head:

The Amulet of Sun marker (or whatever it's called from RtL) to represent the ray of sunlight in The Dawnblade or the Totem of the Sun in The Twin Idols.

The earth, water, fire and air markers from RtL to represent the different seals in Enduring the Elements.

An altar for the altar in The Cardinal's Plight.

The list goes on and on and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be great to complile a formal list. Some great ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
badgermaniac wrote:

Sorry about that. I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. Threads are being posted so often that it becomes harder to find what you need.

And, if you don't hit on the right search terms....

No problem. I wasn't saying that to chastise; I didn't want to take credit for all the ideas is all.

...It is getting a bit crazy with the amount of posts for Descent 2e. Not sure how many of them are just to be funny, but there are about 10 different threads about the new expansion that was announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a geek list if people would like to keep track and add on.

Descent: 1e bits that can be used with 2e

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Mondaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tokens for the relics, the money tokens, the stomach (swallow is still an ability!), the town to denote where they are between quests (for fun more than anything), familiars (I made my own for the DQ guy from the conversion kit). The potion chits can be used as a physical representation of the potions the players can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Most wasted part IMO is the props, but a lot of these could be used instead of search tokens. Crypts, Beds, Tables, Bone Piles, Mushrooms, Eggs, Chests... just use as appropriate to theme (as a minor house-rule, could even include their actual old rules for movement/elevation etc)

Question is whether the added theme would be worth rooting around for appropriate pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.