Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get people's feedback on what I find to be kind of a counter-intuitive rule. From what I understand, you can play a command card on any system test your opponent makes on their turn. This makes some sense when your ship is present, or even adjacent, but for 'unopposed' tests it breaks down for me thematically a bit when you are farther away than that.

I do see the importance of this interaction, as it keeps one side engaged (so to speak) on the other side's turn, where there might otherwise be entire turns better spent going for snacks or bathroom breaks. My question is: Does anyone place limits on the playing of command cards that are not in the Rules As Written? For example, as far as I know the rules do not require a ship to be present or adjacent to play a card. Has anyone decided to require this? Unless I am mistaken, the rules also do not explicitly state that the card played must apply to the current system test. One could theoretically use this opportunity to play a completely unrelated card (say, giving oneself an unrelated bonus, or increasing fleet size, for example), essentially using at as a free card play.

I have pretty much decided on the following house rule: When the non-active side plays a command card on an active player's unopposed system test, that card can only be an Ops card that can be directly applied to the system test in question. As examples, the non-active player could: apply a penalty to the active player's system, play another card that would directly disrupt the test, or cancel the active player's card. The active player could not: give themselves any benefits not related to the test somehow, use a crew ability of a ship not present or play a card that otherwise refers to a ship, if none is present.

At first, I was considering a house rule that would require the non-active player to have a ship at least adjacent in order to play a command card on an unopposed system test by the active player. I have backed off of that, and now think that the non-active player must only be present (maybe adjacent?) if the command card explicitly refers to a ship.

What does everyone think? Am I over-analyzing? Do you place any limits on command cards for unopposed system tests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:
Am I over-analyzing?

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, the rules also do not explicitly state that the card played must apply to the current system test.

Page 8:

Step 3. Your opponent may play one Command Card from his hand to modify the System you are using.

So your rule:
When the non-active side plays a command card on an active player's unopposed system test, that card can only be an Ops card that can be directly applied to the system test in question

Is not a house rule. It is as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks. I had been in the middle of a game when I first started wondering about this, and obviously not reading that closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few cards that allow you to modify systems on enemy ships and even fewer that allow you to do it without a ship in the same location, so the situation where an opponent actually can infuence an unopposed system test is very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
There are very few cards that allow you to modify systems on enemy ships

At this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Shemar wrote:

At this time.

I suspect the ratio of such cards to cards that do not allow it will not change, therefore the frequency that this is an issue will ot change either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Shemar wrote:

At this time.

I suspect the ratio of such cards to cards that do not allow it will not change, therefore the frequency that this is an issue will ot change either.

I cannot comment further at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.