Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Different ways to NOT play scoring cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing an epic game of TS the other day [redundant b/c every game of TS is epic] and was wondering if there were ways around using a scoring card?

I manage to find one as I used it in the game.

Backstory:
I was US and my friend was USSR. I had a comfortable 11pt lead and saw glory was near but had one problem. USSR controlled ALL European battleground countries [no control b/c he didn't have a non-BG but it would of been a turn to acquire it]. Every attempt I had to get footing in Europe was twarted, he was too strong and I had to go elsewhere and hope to god Europe didn't come out.

It was Turn 6 -- and low and behold, Europe card came out -- but luckily in my hand. Huzzah! I now control my fate. But when do I play it? That's a ~13pt swing! Luckily my last card drawn was the JFK (Not ask what your country can do for you) card and I nearly exploded [in the pants]. My savoir JFK discards Europe card along with other Commie cards. Success! Game ends in turn 7 with the SE Asia score card. USSR actually had no presence and I cleaned up with the remaining points need.

SOOOO...back to the question, any other way to discard/not use a scoring card?

Found technically 2, but one is random:
1) JFK card to discard and pick up new cards
2) 5-yr plan and (randomly) choose the scoring card [which happened but not in my favor]

Any other ways around to NOT score? Played 3 games so far and in love with this game [sadly, I have yet to reach late war]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the USSR, 5YP doesn't have to be random, if you play it on the last round of the turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
USSR controlled ALL European battleground countries [no control b/c he didn't have a non-BG but it would of been a turn to acquire it


If I remember correctly, you don't need to have both a BG and a non-BG to have control of a region. Just all the BGs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bloggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've got a rule confused. In order to have domination of a region, you must have:
1. More bg countries controlled than the other player. (But not all bg countries in the region.)
2. At least one non-bg country controlled.
3. More countries controlled total than the other player.

However, to have control you need:
1. All bg-countries controlled.
2. More countries controlled total than the other player.

Control doesn't have the non-bg requirement, unless it's necessary in order to have more total countries controlled.

Furthermore, if he DIDN'T have control, then that means he only has presence. You would have to have presence as well in order to stop his control, which means he only gets the vps for control of the bg-countries. So he would receive 5vp total, not 13. (+any adjacency countries, if any.)

As for ways to ditch a scoring card:
1. Yes, Ask Not is the easiest way to just discard a scoring card. However, it can also risk you drawing another scoring card, and if you do that at the end of your turn then you could lose the game for 'holding' a scoring card.
2. 5-year plan is really only used by the USSR player to force him to discard a scoring card he doesn't want. I suppose a US player could play it for the event and hope he makes the USSR discard a scoring card, but that's too random. It does nothing to help the US with a scoring card in his own hand.
3. Aldrich Ames Remix can force a US player to discard a scoring card if it's the last card in his hand.
4. It won't do you any good once the scoring card is in your hand, but Our Man in Tehran can let you choose bad scoring cards in the top of the deck and discard it.
5. You can have Terrorism played on you, forcing you to discard a scoring card. This is also random though. If you're the US, you could, theoretically, intentionally activate Iranian Hostage Crisis on yourself to tempt the USSR to play Terrorism on you, but that's also risky. (He might not have the card, the cards you discard are random... etc.)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Remember, scoring cards can't be discarded through the Space Race 'discard one card' box.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeyJoe wrote:
I think you've got a rule confused. In order to have domination of a region, you must have:
1. More bg countries controlled than the other player. (But not all bg countries in the region.)
2. At least one non-bg country controlled.
3. More countries controlled total than the other player.

However, to have control you need:
1. All bg-countries controlled.
2. More countries controlled total than the other player.

Control doesn't have the non-bg requirement, unless it's necessary in order to have more total countries controlled.

Furthermore, if he DIDN'T have control, then that means he only has presence. You would have to have presence as well in order to stop his control, which means he only gets the vps for control of the bg-countries. So he would receive 5vp total, not 13. (+any adjacency countries, if any.)

As for ways to ditch a scoring card:
1. Yes, Ask Not is the easiest way to just discard a scoring card. However, it can also risk you drawing another scoring card, and if you do that at the end of your turn then you could lose the game for 'holding' a scoring card.
2. 5-year plan is really only used by the USSR player to force him to discard a scoring card he doesn't want. I suppose a US player could play it for the event and hope he makes the USSR discard a scoring card, but that's too random. It does nothing to help the US with a scoring card in his own hand.
3. Aldrich Ames Remix can force a US player to discard a scoring card if it's the last card in his hand.
4. It won't do you any good once the scoring card is in your hand, but Our Man in Tehran can let you choose bad scoring cards in the top of the deck and discard it.
5. You can have Terrorism played on you, forcing you to discard a scoring card. This is also random though. If you're the US, you could, theoretically, intentionally activate Iranian Hostage Crisis on yourself to tempt the USSR to play Terrorism on you, but that's also risky. (He might not have the card, the cards you discard are random... etc.)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Remember, scoring cards can't be discarded through the Space Race 'discard one card' box.


Great post -- yeah, wanted a decent list to think about different combos.

Whoops -- well in that case, he controlled Europe but never had access to the Euro scoring card [lucky me]. Thanks for the info. though, I will remember it for next time. Luckily, this 'mis-notion' never affected the outcome of a game. Always thought, it was difficult to hold all BG in Europe (I stand corrected). He kept obliterating me w/ high Ops to add influence meanwhile I had good cards but low Op valued ones. I would of been a goner had I not won on points and let it fall to the end of the game.

Yeah, I 5 year planned and drew a scoring card that would of gave me 6 points earlier (how sad)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So as the USA, you had 0 European battlegrounds and less than 5 non-battlegrounds? You should do something about that next time you play the USA!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
So as the USA, you had 0 European battlegrounds and less than 5 non-battlegrounds? You should do something about that next time you play the USA!


I'm telling you man, I tried and tried -- Hands were riddled w/ 1-2 OP cards w/ barely any events for Europe. And the ones I can reach he put up, so I would have to spend double influence points to get some presence. It was almost futile to continue wasting my turns, it was BRUTAL!

My only play was to gain ground else where -- it worked obviously. I knew Euro card may of had a chance to come out. (It did, but in my hands). He focus all efforts in Europe, essentially neglecting Middle East, Asia, and Africa. Dominated each area plus SE Asia.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a n00b in the game, I'm sure I could of played it better.

He may of controlled 6 BGs in Europe, but I still got to poke him in chest while I hate 8 [other sections obviously]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bindlestick Bindlestick
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Aldrich Ames Remix can force a US player to discard a scoring card if it's the last card in his hand.


Watch out, IIRC on Vassal at least it will not let you do this. On your last action round, it will force you to play the scoring card, since you're not allowed to hold it. Perhaps this has been patched since I last played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bindlestick wrote:
Quote:
3. Aldrich Ames Remix can force a US player to discard a scoring card if it's the last card in his hand.


Watch out, IIRC on Vassal at least it will not let you do this. On your last action round, it will force you to play the scoring card, since you're not allowed to hold it. Perhaps this has been patched since I last played.


That's not the way I intended it.

If you are holding a card that can cause you to discard, the VASSAL module will not force you to play the scoring card.

If that's not the way it's working, I'd like to hear about it, but that's the way it was intended and tested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad sheehan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
bindlestick wrote:
Quote:
3. Aldrich Ames Remix can force a US player to discard a scoring card if it's the last card in his hand.


Watch out, IIRC on Vassal at least it will not let you do this. On your last action round, it will force you to play the scoring card, since you're not allowed to hold it. Perhaps this has been patched since I last played.


I know I've done it with 5yp as ussr and it works fine. I think I've done it with Aldrich Ames as us but I can't be 100 percent sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bindlestick Bindlestick
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me clarify. I don't recall that it was specifically Aldrich Ames. Nor that it was any of the cards mentioned so far. It was quite some time ago. I could even imagine a situation where I was trying to play a card for 2-3vps to end the game as the soviets and void playing a US-favored score card at the time, and playing out to late war.

I regret I can't recall the exact circumstances under which I thought the situation occurred.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Current ruling is you can always keep a scoring card, if you have some other card to play. You then lose at the held cards phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.