Rik Falch
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley Games is very excited to announce that we have been offered the opportunity to produce Up Front. In association with the original designer, Courtney Allen, we will reproduce this classic title with improved and enhanced rules, new artwork and new graphic design. We will use Kickstarter to fund the project with a planned launch date of December 2012. More information to come as we get closer to the launch date.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Re: Up Front reprint
"Improved" and "enhanced" rules? In presentation, I hope, not substance ...

"In association with the original designer, Courtney Allen" gives me hope, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is really true, let me be the first to say "YEEEESSSSS!" At the same time, I've just about finished coloring each and every card (expansions included) with my art pencils for the uber collector's set....cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing. You have my attention...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
You might get more people through subscriptions if you change the thread title to "Up Front reprint announced for 2013", or something similar.

When I saw it in subscriptions, I assumed it was just another thread asking about the possibility of a reprint, and nearly didn't follow it. I only got here because I wasn't sure whether it was a different thread here that I'm already subscribed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound jaded but, seeing will be believing.

Crap, that sounded pretty jaded, didn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Last time I clicked on something like this it led me to a video of some Russian guy singing. It would be nice to get more than a micro badge this time around -- we shall see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:
Valley Games is very excited to announce that we have been offered the opportunity to produce Up Front.

That's what MMP thought too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed! Fingers crossed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Obviously, the first question on all our minds is this:

Are you going to keep the original cover art that made this a classic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought this was another fan print thread. It is exciting news but I worry how "enhanced" you're going to make it.

I don't want this to be a card game only. I like the counters. I think the RR mechanic works just fine. I wonder what other enhancements are being considered.

I like the idea that the original designer will be involved. That should help eliminate too many dramatic changes.

Who has links to other games by Valley Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Actually the box art is the least of my concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
DiploGuy wrote:
Who has links to other games by Valley Games?

See here. Sort by "Rank".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
DiploGuy wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Actually the box art is the least of my concern.

Ah! I notice this isn't in your collection.

Ms. Sarcasm, meet Mr. Straight Man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As awesome as the game is, I'm all for a little of the improvements that have come from the last few years on both graphic presentation and rules explanation. Seriously, the rules are hard to pick up if you don't have a mentor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squee!

That's about the only sound of joy I can make right about now.

(Edit: My co-workers are looking at me funny.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is true (especially for HarlemMimeSchool).

The "changes" to the game are to both simplify learning it and to improve certain aspects of the game overall. You will be getting Up Front and the classic, hard-core enthusiasts of the game (myself included) need not worry. Courtney Allen is involved and it's going to rock.

Giddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caius wrote:
Valley Games is very excited to announce that we have been offered the opportunity to produce Up Front. In association with the original designer, Courtney Allen, we will reproduce this classic title with improved and enhanced rules, new artwork and new graphic design. We will use Kickstarter to fund the project with a planned launch date of December 2012. More information to come as we get closer to the launch date.

2012 or 2013?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
thechairman wrote:
caius wrote:

2012 or 2013?

Kickstarter campaign launch 2012, for a planned print of 2013.

Is how I'm reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
caius wrote:

2012 or 2013?

I believe that's the launch date for the Kickstarter campaign...so I think 2012 is correct.

edit: too slow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
caius wrote:

2012 or 2013?

Kickstarter campaign to start in December, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wicked excellent news!

Rik, honestly, I can't think of a better fit for this task than Valley Games! Based on the D-Day Dice results and how AIYP is shaping up, Up Front will be awesome. I can only imagine what the Stretch Rewards will be

I only hope that the "improved and enhanced rules" bring the game more in line with the original Courtney Allen design. From everything I've read, AH over-developed this game....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11076/item/183863#item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
You might get more people through subscriptions if you change the thread title to "Up Front reprint announced for 2013", or something similar.

"Up Front 2000 reprint announced for 2013"

How's that for something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
As awesome as the game is, I'm all for a little of the improvements that have come from the last few years on both graphic presentation and rules explanation. Seriously, the rules are hard to pick up if you don't have a mentor.

1) Clean up and clarification of rules is a must. They are infamously difficult for new players. VG can't simply market this to old grognards and their friends.

2) Graphics have improved immeasurably over the decades. There is no reason for anything less than a total face-lift and graphic make over similar to the recent fan based edition on BGG.

3) Chits are still essential. Larger and with better graphics please!

4) A really nice (albeit expensive) touch might be thick cardboard soldier and AFV cards rather than simple cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.