Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/845616/up-front-reprint

We've heard this all before, but here's hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cautious optimism....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be like a license to print money...if they can pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's real alright, I can assure you.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As much as I'd like to see it get reprinted and expanded upon, MMP couldn't get the rights issue sorted out for over half a decade, I am not seeing how Valley Games can do better. If it could be done, why did MMP not make it happen??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain that Rik and Courtney Allen will take the time to explain how this all (miraculous joy from the past) came to happen and get to reprint this modern classic over the coming months. For now, simply bathe in the joy, fellow Up Front lover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Very good news. Woohoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
with sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine. (we can only hope.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGusta wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
I'm pretty certain that Rik and Courtney Allen will take the time to explain how this all (miraculous joy from the past) came to happen and get to reprint this modern classic over the coming months. For now, simply bathe in the joy, fellow Up Front lover!

They never explained how they managed to get the rights to reprint Titan and Hannibal. I wouldn't hold my breath!

Ah, didn't know that. Was Rik asked? I'll rephrase my guess then and say simply that Valley Games are (re)releasing Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGusta wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

They never explained how they managed to get the rights to reprint Titan and Hannibal. I wouldn't hold my breath!

And Republic of Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is in Valley Game's interest to make vapor announcements... they are a publisher I trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Republic of Rome they used the original AH rulebook. No blindtest obviosly. thumbsdown

Hope they blindtest UP to clean up the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
In Republic of Rome they used the original AH rulebook. No blindtest obviosly. thumbsdown

The "changes" to the game are to both simplify learning it and to improve certain aspects of the game overall. You will be getting Up Front and the classic, hard-core enthusiasts of the game (myself included) need not worry. Courtney Allen is involved and it's going to rock. [Emphasis mine.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
As much as I'd like to see it get reprinted and expanded upon, MMP couldn't get the rights issue sorted out for over half a decade, I am not seeing how Valley Games can do better. If it could be done, why did MMP not make it happen??

As I recall, MMP got held up over rights to the artwork. Valley Games has said they're using new art....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
eker wrote:

The "changes" to the game are to both simplify learning it and to improve certain aspects of the game overall. You will be getting Up Front and the classic, hard-core enthusiasts of the game (myself included) need not worry. Courtney Allen is involved and it's going to rock. [Emphasis mine.]

Great news. A scaling difficulty will help me sucker more peo... err I mean teach this game to new comers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
eker wrote:

Great news. A scaling difficulty will help me sucker more peo... err I mean teach this game to new comers.

I own the original UP, and mastered the basic rules well. You must realize that rules are setup for learning - not much as look up during play. No doubt it needs some improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Rindis wrote:
Garfink wrote:

As I recall, MMP got held up over rights to the artwork. Valley Games has said they're using new art....

I recall that not only did MMP have new artwork planned, they even posted some James.

I suspect that Valley Games produces hard to license games in one of three ways:
(1) They pay whatever royalty necessary
(2) They avoid paying any royalties as they are Canadian, an inherently shifty folk who may or may not be beholden to US trademark laws.
(3) They pay a royalty based on their profit margin.

I suspected case 3 for the Hannibal reprint as it was so gorgeous that I supposed that Valley games barely made a profit. 'Cause if they made a profit on Hannibal, other wargame publishers have some 'splainin' to do Lucy ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
I recall that not only did MMP have new artwork planned, they even posted some James.

As I recall (very, very cloudy, likely confused), they had new artwork for some things, but not for all things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
True, but I never got the sense that original artwork put the kibosh on being able to license the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, April Fool's was 4.5 months ago. Not funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
(2) They avoid paying any royalties as they are Canadian, an inherently shifty folk who may or may not be beholden to US trademark laws.

Glad you failed in 1812! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
True, but I never got the sense that original artwork put the kibosh on being able to license the game.

Apparently right:

I know the problem which prevented us from doing the game was between Courtney and Hasbro - perhaps they worked that out or perhaps Hasbro said the heck with it, we've got another 500k Monopoly to produce this week and don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the wailing and gnashing of teeth people have gone through with their other games (Hannibal generals, Titan figures, etc.), I'll stand pat with my AH copy of UF and both expansions. I'm happy the game will get a chance to be experienced by a new generation. But I hope there aren't any production quality issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
MeGusta wrote:
They never explained how they managed to get the rights to reprint Titan

They did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are not using the same art it could take some time. I think probably two years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.