Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've heard lots of good things about this game and surely am a fan of Feld. I own his Notre Dame, Macao, Castles of Burgundy and now contemplating Trajan, but on another issue. I was very intrigued about this game and wanted to get your thoughts about this.

I already own a few auction games and games which have auction as one of the mechanic:

Pure auction games:
- Modern art
- Ra

Auction Mechanic:
- Power Grid
- Power Grid: Factory Manager
- Princes of Florence
To name a few.

I wanted to know how deep is this game compared to the ones I have in my collection (it may not be related, but any comparison would be very helpful viz. closer to Thurn and Taxis to its depth and weight etc.)

Also how different is this game compared to the other auction games and will it make sense for me to add this to my collection?

Thanks for your help.

Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a lighter game than those you mentioned, so you can bring it out with more casual gamers and still get you Feld fix. Still has pretty good depth. A great game.

Comparable to perhaps Alhambra or Thurn and Taxis in weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
This game has a very different auction than any other game. I can't recommend it enough if you like auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this game is a little heavier than Ra as it has a money management aspect alongside the bidding mechanism. However, it is still fairly light, maybe at a Settlers difficulty level. Even though it doesn't compare to face 2 face play, I would strongly recommend you try this game on yucata.de first to get a general feel for its game play. For me personally I prefer Feld's other auction game, Strasbourg, but I know many that really love this one.

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Also how different is this game compared to the other auction games

Let me quote from above to reinforce.

Elltrain wrote:
This game has a very different auction than any other game.

and quote myself from another thread only a few days before this one.

TVis wrote:
I have trouble calling this an auction game. It's not just bidding, it is bullying. I don't beat my opponent by bidding higher, rather I undermine his bid so he can't pay/won't want to pay. I out maneuver him so that I pay less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.