Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you new players may have noticed, you might have quite a few Action cards in your hand at the end of the game. You can only play 2 cards and you draw 2 ever turn, so at the end you might have 10 Action cards.

I wanted to quickly explain why this was done this way (there's a method to the madness) and some high level strategy tips. Please post yours as well!

Why
In the original game, players had a hand limit. This forced me to introduce a few rules on when you hit your hand limit, what you had to do, and when to draw or discard new cards.

Farmageddon is meant to be an accessible game for new or casual gamers, so I didn't like having this rule. The more rules, the harder it is for new players to have fun.

Secondly, you might have noticed that there are times when all the fields are taken, Foul Manure is in play, and you JUST don't have the cards to rectify the situation. This situation shouldn't be common, but probability can be a jerk and it will happen. My thinking is, if a player is unable to plant or play an Action card, he or she is probably having a rough go at it. I don't want to punish you further by forcing you to discard powerful Action cards!

Typically during a game, even if a player misses a round or two of planting, he/she will now have the Action cards to get back into the game (more options). But, as she can still only play two cards each turn, this means this little catch up mechanic isn't frustrating for everyone else. One woman I played with at GenCon was unable to plant 2 turns in a row and stomped us by 20 points!

Advice
Never hold back with your cards. Action cards are almost uniformly powerful and useful (by design). I didn't want any dead weight. The game is fundamentally about taking risks and decisive action in order to better your chances to harvest and earn more money.

You should play to your Action cards, both in how many fields you occupy and how many crops you plant (and which ones). Use Action cards to help yourself and hinder your opponents. Use them to shift their options.

If you have a Crop Insurance down, killing your crop is no longer obvious. If you put Foul Manure on them, they will spend cards trying to rectify THAT instead of going after you. If you take up all 3 fields, yes, you'll lose some crops, but unless they have a Dust Bowl (only 3 in a deck of 45) you'll force them to spend Action cards just trying to get into the game.

I play two Action cards every turn if possible. As a result, at the end of a game of Farmageddon I have maybe 1 or two Action cards in my hand.

Farmageddon isn't a game to sit back and plan. Usually I will look at a few cards and think about the next turn, but that's it.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
As some of you new players may have noticed, you might have quite a few Action cards in your hand at the end of the game. You can only play 2 cards and you draw 2 ever turn, so at the end you might have 10 Action cards.

I wanted to quickly explain why this was done this way (there's a method to the madness) and some high level strategy tips. Please post yours as well!

Why
In the original game, players had a hand limit. This forced me to introduce a few rules on when you hit your hand limit, what you had to do, and when to draw or discard new cards.

Farmageddon is meant to be an accessible game for new or casual gamers, so I didn't like having this rule. The more rules, the harder it is for new players to have fun.

Secondly, you might have noticed that there are times when all the fields are taken, Foul Manure is in play, and you JUST don't have the cards to rectify the situation. This situation shouldn't be common, but probability can be a jerk and it will happen. My thinking is, if a player is unable to plant or play an Action card, he or she is probably having a rough go at it. I don't want to punish you further by forcing you to discard powerful Action cards!

Typically during a game, even if a player misses a round or two of planting, he/she will now have the Action cards to get back into the game (more options). But, as she can still only play two cards each turn, this means this little catch up mechanic isn't frustrating for everyone else. One woman I played with at GenCon was unable to plant 2 turns in a row and stomped us by 20 points!

Advice
Never hold back with your cards. Action cards are almost uniformly powerful and useful (by design). I didn't want any dead weight. The game is fundamentally about taking risks and decisive action in order to better your chances to harvest and earn more money.

You should play to your Action cards, both in how many fields you occupy and how many crops you plant (and which ones). Use Action cards to help yourself and hinder your opponents. Use them to shift their options.

If you have a Crop Insurance down, killing your crop is no longer obvious. If you put Foul Manure on them, they will spend cards trying to rectify THAT instead of going after you. If you take up all 3 fields, yes, you'll lose some crops, but unless they have a Dust Bowl (only 3 in a deck of 45) you'll force them to spend Action cards just trying to get into the game.

I play two Action cards every turn if possible. As a result, at the end of a game of Farmageddon I have maybe 1 or two Action cards in my hand.

Farmageddon isn't a game to sit back and plan. Usually I will look at a few cards and think about the next turn, but that's it.

I hope this helps!

I've found that the more I play this game, the less action cards I have in my hand at the end.

What I find amazing is that, the more I play, I started using Threshers and Foul Manure on myself to protect high crops or score additional points.

Plant Sassy Wheat. Place Crop Insurance. Then play a Thresher to collect Crop Insurance for an additional $2.

Plant Wary Squash. Place Bumper Crop. Fertalize to maximum. Place Manure. Hopefully, you will draw a Dust Bowl/already have a Dust Bowl, that you play on your turn to remove the Manure to score yourself $18. Now this CAN backfire if your opponent plays the Dust Bowl. Plays Foreclosure. Then steals your crop and immediatly scores the Wary Squash and all you will get is the Bumper Crop. I had it happen once.

What was funny is that my wife was playing for her first time and kept complaining that she couldn't understand how she will ever be able to plant cause my daughter and I kept taking the Planting Fields. She learned quickly with just how awesome it is to play a Dust Bowl at the right time. LOL!

Great game Grant!

P.S. - Notice I didn't call you Josh and ask if you are with Game Salute. WAHAHAHAHAHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:

I've found that the more I play this game, the less action cards I have in my hand at the end.

What I find amazing is that, the more I play, I started using Threshers and Foul Manure on myself to protect high crops or score additional points.

Plant Sassy Wheat. Place Crop Insurance. Then play a Thresher to collect Crop Insurance for an additional $2.

Plant Wary Squash. Place Bumper Crop. Fertalize to maximum. Place Manure. Hopefully, you will draw a Dust Bowl/already have a Dust Bowl, that you play on your turn to remove the Manure to score yourself $18. Now this CAN backfire if your opponent plays the Dust Bowl. Plays Foreclosure. Then steals your crop and immediatly scores the Wary Squash and all you will get is the Bumper Crop. I had it happen once.

What was funny is that my wife was playing for her first time and kept complaining that she couldn't understand how she will ever be able to plant cause my daughter and I kept taking the Planting Fields. She learned quickly with just how awesome it is to play a Dust Bowl at the right time. LOL!

Great game Grant!

P.S. - Notice I didn't call you Josh and ask if you are with Game Salute. WAHAHAHAHAHA!

It really makes me happy when folks like you give the game more than a single play. I think some play it once, think it's just random cards, then write it off. Don't get me wrong -- this isn't Agricola or something crazy deep. But, your choices do matter and the better player typically wins (hell, I won about 32 of the 42 games I played at GenCon!).

Thank you so much for your support! And give Larry crap for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time, I almost told my husband to "Fertilize me" but then realize how that sounded. blush Gotta be careful about that kind of crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarebear62 wrote:
One time, I almost told my husband to "Fertilize me" but then realize how that sounded. blush Gotta be careful about that kind of crap.

I do that all the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.