Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter married a Finn and they now live happily in Finland. We visited last Christmas and ended up touring several museums. There were many displays showing the devastation and eventual triumph of Finland in the Winter War, the Continuation War and the Lapland War. This really piqued my interest in the subject.

I've been assembling a selection of games on this topic with the following acquisitions:

Winter War (the original S&T #33 version)
Red Winter (GMT)
Acrtic Storm (GMT)
Forgotten Axis: Murmansk 1941 (S&T #194)
Forgotten Axis: The Finnish Campaign (S&T #199)
Some scenarios in Memoir '44 (DOW, especially with the new ski troops!)

Most of these focus on the Winter War, the first of the three conflicts when Russia attacked Finland. The Continuation War was a combined attack by Germany and Finland on occupying Russian troops and the Lapland War was Finland taking on the remaining Germans.

Problem is that I have not found many games covering the last two wars. are there any and/or what am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1)

Not out yet but very close to production - and it looks awesome!

Edit - first of a trilogy that covers the entire time period... The trilogy is what you are interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
We visited last Christmas and ended up touring several museums. There were many displays showing the devastation and eventual triumph of Finland in the Winter War, the Continuation War and the Lapland War.

Finland won?

After the war, they ceded about 10% of their land to the USSR, including Vyborg and Petsamo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karelia '44 from Multi Man Publishing. Their description of the game:

Karelia ’44 is an operational level game that focuses on the last major campaign of the Russo-Finnish Continuation War (25 June 42—4 Sept 44). STAVKA planned an offensive during the summer of 1944 to coincide with the Normandy landings. The objective was to force Finland out of the war. Towards this end, the Soviets amassed two ground armies, one air army, and an impressive amount of artillery. Confident after a series of victories against the Germans, the Red Army attacked in Karelia on 9 June 44. The attack began with an overwhelming artillery barrage (second only to the Oder crossings in intensity). Finnish lines were pushed back and then breached—the race for Viipuri/Vyborg was on. The capture of this city would open the road to Helsinki.

The game features a unique “Boss Point” System which precludes either player from knowing how long the game will last. For the Russian player, this represents the gun to his head of an unhappy dictator who will gladly send you to a Gulag forever if you fail in your goals. For the Finns, you know that you are understrength and that the Russians will destroy you if given enough time, but you need to hang on for dear life in order to be in the best possible position when the Boss’ patience runs out.

Players will find two very different armies to command. The Russians are the proverbial 500 lb gorilla, but one that takes time to prepare big operations and isn’t fleet of foot enough to do small scale attacks.

The Finns have splendid artillery and are designed for a mobile defense which, if done right, will leave the Russians flailing in the air. You have three defensive lines to use and an innovative “ghost” unit feature that allows your thin ranks to try to hang on to them.

Please note, this is not the Winter War of 1939! This is a well developed late war Russian army, not the hapless troops of the opening years of the war. The Finns need to be on their toes to stand a chance.

Karelia '44 is the 14th game in the award winning Standard Combat Series. Emphasizing easy to play rules, SCS lets the player get right into the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a geeklist which might help: Finland at war

Eldard wrote:

Finland won?

After the war, they ceded about 10% of their land to the USSR, including Vyborg and Petsamo.

Not losing 100% of the land and not becoming a Soviet state is considered a victory of sorts in Finland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Grenadier: Arctic Front Deluxe Edition includes battles from all 3 conflicts:

Quote:
The Winter War lasted for four months, but Finns fought the Soviets again in the Continuation War of 1941-1944, and fought the Germans in the Lappland War of 1944....

Scenarios cover a wide variety of actions. There are several from the deep snows of central Finland in 1939 and 1940, where ski mobility was the key to Finnish victory. Others cover the intense actions on the Karelian Isthmus, where Soviet tanks met the entrenched Finns. Still others are based on the Finnish offensives of 1941 and 1942, and the Soviet counter-offensive of 1944. A whole sub-section covers Finland's war against Germany, waged in September and October 1944.

The only problem with the PG series is that that you often need several of the modules to play the series. That's the case here too:

Quote:
Arctic Front Deluxe Edition is a Panzer Grenadier supplement adding the Finnish army to the game series. It is not playable by itself, but requires ownership of Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front to play most of the scenarios, and Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin and Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge to play all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1)

Not out yet but very close to production - and it looks awesome!

Edit - first of a trilogy that covers the entire time period... The trilogy is what you are interested in.

I checked out the web site and it looks fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
statman8 wrote:
We visited last Christmas and ended up touring several museums. There were many displays showing the devastation and eventual triumph of Finland in the Winter War, the Continuation War and the Lapland War.

Finland won?

It was a moral victory. In light of countries like Poland they fared fairly well. Especially considering what they were up against from both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LtUrban wrote:

Eldard wrote:

Finland won?

Not losing 100% of the land and not becoming a Soviet state is considered a victory of sorts in Finland.

OK. I'll buy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Advanced Squad Leader, there is Finland at War, v. I: Jatkosota, among other sources of Finnish scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
A Frozen Hell, which I adore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a scenario in Combat Commander: Mediterranean. It is scenario 20, "A March in December".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Winter War, one of the more manageable Europa games. Can still be found relatively easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
A Winter War, one of the more manageable Europa games. Can still be found relatively easily.

Oh you beat me to it! It's one of my 'ready shelf' games, i.e. it is on a shelf right next to my office computer. Probably my favorite in the Europa series (ok, well I'm a Finnish-American too so the opinion is a bit jaded).

SPI old S&T title is really playable in an evening. One of the titles my brother and I cut our teeth on in the olden days. ASL has some good scenarios if you like the tactical stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
LtUrban wrote:

Eldard wrote:

Finland won?

Especially considering up until late WWI they were a Russian Duchy, and before that part of Sweden. And they became a democratic republic after a bitter Communist/White civil war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for responding. There's more out there than I knew and some of the scenarios are in games I already own.

Thanks, again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Here are another 2 that might be interesting for you:
-Mannerheim's Cross: Finland at War 1939-1945
-The Finnish Front, 1941-42

Edit: I just saw the Finland at War Geeklist includes these games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't on the Finland at war geeklist: Buffalo Wings.
However it is on this geeklist: Games of the Russo-Finnish Wars in World War Two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Stalingrad is a hex-based wargame published by Avalon Hill in the 1960s and reprinted again later, but is long out of print.

Although not a "winter" theme, per se, it deals with the entire German-Russian front from Finland to Moscow and Stalingrad as Hitler launched his assault on Russia. It replays the entire Russian front in an easy-to-learn two hour game. Regarding winter, there is a weather chart and during the winter month turns a roll of the die will indicate whether certain rivers and lakes freeze over, affecting movement and combat. There is a "Finnish front" with combat possibilities there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
A Frozen Hell, which I adore.

I'm reading the book by the same name right now. I bought it (in English) at a Finnish bookstore in Oulu last Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
In Advanced Squad Leader, there is Finland at War, v. I: Jatkosota, among other sources of Finnish scenarios.

I want to get the updated version. The only problem with this, and with other Critical Hit modules, is the new counters introduced. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of variety, but I'm concerned about storage space.
I'm big on organization of series games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe you can still get some winter themed maps for Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
peacmyer wrote:

I want to get the updated version. The only problem with this, and with other Critical Hit modules, is the new counters introduced. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of variety, but I'm concerned about storage space.
I'm big on organization of series games.

Having spent two hours last night punching counters from Berlin: Fall of the 3rd Reich and Tyrant's Lair, I have no idea what you are talking about. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both as well! cry

I really like what CH is doing, but I dread the space these games will take! The really disappointing thing is that some of the Berlin scenarios, despite the huge map size, are actually medium-small for ASL. I played through some in less time than it took a three or four mapper from the MMP scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.