Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game I'm developing you are rolling dice and placing them on cards to activate the cards' abilities. Please tell me how you interpret this card's text. (FYI, [] is a little box on the card that indicates you place the dice there).

Up to two dice of the same number:
[][]
Do damage equal to the amount of dice placed on this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as a 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
In a game I'm developing you are rolling dice and placing them on cards to activate the cards' abilities. Please tell me how you interpret this card's text. (FYI, [] is a little box on the card that indicates you place the dice there).

[][]

I'd say that's ambiguous. Is it the quantity of dice? or the sum of the dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

I'd say that's ambiguous. Is it the quantity of dice?

It clearly says amount of dice. It says nothing about their faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:

[][]

"Place one die or two matching dice on the card. [ ] [ ]
Inflict 1 damage per placed die."

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as 1 or 2, but I could see how it could be misinterpreted. Maybe "Do damage equal to the number of dice placed on the card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:

[][]

I understand this to mean:
"Place 0,1 or 2 dice on the card. For each die on the card, do 1 damage."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
I see it as 1 or 2, but I could see how it could be misinterpreted. Maybe "Do damage equal to the number of dice placed on the card."

This. Amount is fuzzy. Number is precise. If you have room, you can add reminder text like Two dice would cause two damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:

[][]

So I can deal 1 damage by placing 1 die on this card, or 2 damage if I place 2 matching dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could get some inspiration from Claustrophobia:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps use "pips" to indicate what the faces show, and "number" to indicate how many dice there are?

44 Number=2, pips=8

"Do damage equal to the number of dice on this card" v. "Do damage equal to the pips on this card"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Potter
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
When in doubt, play a game.
badge
Kazoodoo...think voodoo witch playing a kazoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I see it as a 1 or 2.

Agree with Geosphere.

My confusion comes with the number of total dice rolled. Since the card allows up to 2 dice, does the player only roll 2? Or, is there a set number (say 5) that gives the player the chance to roll "doubles?"

player rolls 2d6
[1][4]

the player's options are:
[1]
[4]

since not doubles, can only place 1 die = 1 damage

player rolls 5d6
[1][4][1][4][6]

the player's options are:
[1]
[1][1]
[4]
[4][4]
[6]

two of these options allow 2 dice to be placed = 2 damage.

As long as the mechanic involving number of dice rolled is explained elsewhere, the text should stand on its own. Otherwise, you will need to make sure players know how many dice to roll for this(and other) card(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My intent is for this card to do 1 or 2 damage if activated. When I've shown this game to my non-gamer friends and family they typically interpreted it as 2,4,6,8,10, or 12 damage, counting the pips. I'm glad that most of you have been able to interpret my wording correctly. Thank you for the suggestions on re-wording it, I was originally intending to keep the word count down on the cards because it's a little cramped with the picture, [] dice boxes, text, and other icons. But some of this suggested re-wording is more explicit in a short amount of words, so that's great!

@Justin Potter:
Players are rolling 5 dice every turn. I didn't explain that in the first post because I thought it wasn't necessary information to simply interpreting the card, but I guess I should have included it anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Havox wrote:
I see it as 1 or 2, but I could see how it could be misinterpreted.

For me it's more that I would second guess what the author meant to write there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
Perhaps use "pips" to indicate what the faces show, and "number" to indicate how many dice there are?

44 Number=2, pips=8

"Do damage equal to the number of dice on this card" v. "Do damage equal to the pips on this card"

Pips sounds like bizarre jargon to anyone who's not a gamer and takes umbrage at using "dice" for a single die. Sum is a term people understand, especially if you use it consistently. (This is important—standardize your templates so that in-game effects which do the same thing are phrased the same.) That said, using both the number and the sum on different cards is liable to lead to confusion (not that the OP has given any indication of using the sum), and it's ultimately a better design to rely on only one of the two.

"Do damage equal to the number of dice on this card"
"Do damage equal to the sum of the dice on card"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

You cannot have an 'amount' of dice - dice are a discrete quantity, and (as others have pointed out), the correct word to use in English is 'number'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Boyd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Since you only have two cases, it doesn't seem unreasonable to enumerate the cases.

"You may place a die on this card to deal 1 damage. Or, you may place two dice that have the same number on this card to deal 2 damage."

In regards to the original wording, I read it correctly, but assumed that you meant it to be referring to the number on the dice.

EDIT: Formatting and typo correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo G
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could replace the second sentence with "for each placed die, deal 1 damage"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

You cannot have an 'amount' of dice - dice are a discrete quantity, and (as others have pointed out), the correct word to use in English is 'number'.

Though that may be true, I feel that saying "number of dice" is even more ambiguous, as those that don't read it closely can misinterpret the meaning. I know I didn't mention this before, but this game is aimed more at non-gamers and kids. I think I'll go with "quantity of dice" or give an example as others have suggested, or both. Thanks for helping point me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Deal one damage for each die on this card.'

Or 'each dice' if you have really low expectations about the target demographic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each dice of the same value does 1 damage each"

yeesh that doesn't even sound good...remember each dice has to be the same #

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo G
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea: Maybe (not knowing, if you want any type of iconography in your game) something like in "Alien Frontiers"
["damage icon in box"]=["damage icon in box"] would do it, so you don't need ANY text to worry about...
EDIT: Nah! Forgot, you can play a single die too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, Scott, I REALLY like that! Did you design that yourself or is it from another game? I'll fiddle around and see if those symbols will work well for other cards too.

I have been toying with another idea that doesn't exactly solve THIS problem, but it makes some other cards more understandable. If a card needs the same die faces it will look like this: [A][A]. If it's dice in order (a straight): [A][B][C][D]. If it's something like "three dice of numbers 1 and/or 2: [1/2][1/2][1/2].

Obviously I will explain exactly what those letters as numbers mean in the rulebook. But for quick reference I think they could be quite helpful so that you don't have to read the text all the time. Though I don't think I'll take my symbology as far as Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Whoa, Scott, I REALLY like that! Did you design that yourself or is it from another game?

Though I don't think I'll take my symbology as far as Race for the Galaxy

It's an original design that I came up with in just a couple of minutes last night when I decided there were too many words. Though there's nothing unique in it and I see now, having read down the thread, that Udo already made a similar suggestion.

Good to hear you'll avoid the RftG symbol overload.

Consider that straights you could use "[x] [x+1] ..." since that way you've not having to define four symbols as standing for numbers, just one, with the "+1" and "+2" being noted as extensions. The "(times) 3" that could appear in "[1/2] (times) 3" is pretty universally understood amongst populations with rudimentary mathematics and I imagine those are your target audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.