Subject: Zombie-themed game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide which of the well-known zombie games should stay on my shelves. In other words, what are the differences between Zombicide, Zpocalypse, Zombies!!!, and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? What do they each excel at? Which one do you consider the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check these threads:

Best zombie-themed game for gamers?

Zombie Games

Need a good zombie game!

BGG recommend me a ZOMBIE GAME

Zombie game recommendations

What the best ZOMBIE BOARDGAME?

Which Zombie Game??

Best Zombie Game?

Best Zombie Game

What are the best Zombie-themed games?

What's the best Zombie game for someone interested in Zombies

Best Zombie theme game...

Zombie-themed game?

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Already did, but there is virtually no mention of Zpocalypse or Zombicide in any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is because they are just new this year. If you want to get some information on those games just read reviews of them in their linked forums. Both have their supporters and critics, you'll just have to decide which sounds better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I haven't played Zombicide and Zpocalypse, but I definitely recommend Last Night On Earth over Zombies!!!

Even though Zombies!!! seems more casual than LNOE, it gets really repetitive, and sometimes downright tedious, after a few plays.

LNOE has a beginner mode and an advanced game mode, so you can easily teach your friends how to play. It's fast paced, it has great thematic moments, and there is some strategy involved with each scenario. If you buy it with the Growing Hunger expansion, I think all your zombie needs will be covered. I reviewed the entire thing here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/719949/no-sera-la-ultima...

And here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/726485/para-los-que-tien...

But the reviews are in spanish, you may want to use google translate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Already did, but there is virtually no mention of Zpocalypse or Zombicide in any of them.

Zombicide just got into players' hands within these last couple weeks (it's been a big hit with my gaming group). The Zpocalypse team was demoing it at GenCon, but it's not shipped yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I'm trying to decide which of the well-known zombie games should stay on my shelves. In other words, what are the differences between Zombicide, Zpocalypse, Zombies!!!, and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game? What do they each excel at? Which one do you consider the best?

I recommend taking Zombies!!! out of the equation. It was at the top of the heap back when there wasn't much of a heap to top, but the competition is just too much for it these days.

I seriously considered getting on to the Kickstarters for both Zpocalypse and Zombicide, but with the upcoming release of Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak, I felt that the wisest course of action was to wait and watch as the reviews rolled in. I highly doubt that it would be worth owning more than one of them as they all work off of the same, basic, "classic" system for zombie games (viz., the board is a grid; the humans free-roam across said grid in order to get to certain 'search spaces' that will help them accomplish their goals; the zombies also tend to roam the grid while interfering with and killing the humans). Which one does the classic system best? Last Night on Earth is tried and true; let's wait and see what other people who've spent their money on the competition have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luna Green
msg tools
Zpocalypse is a squad based game. You actually control up to four survivors with a Squad board. This squad board helps you keep track of your squads armor, hit points, smarts, and movement. You also keep track of your squads skills in both firearms and melee. Here is a shot of the board.

Building / fortifying your base and bunker is also important in Zpoc. After you go out into the wasteland and scavenge for food, ammo, weapons, and items you inevitably alert zombies. You must construct sandbags, walls, gates, barbed wire traps, and look out towers in order to slow the horde down. You don't want them breaching your bunker, feasting on the weak and helpless survivors.

If you like a post-nuclear setting, cooperative squad based zombie game with food checks and fortification building it might be the game for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dik von bangharder
England
GLOUCESTER
flag msg tools
hello go for last night on earth hands down!!! its an awesome game good fun as a group or even if there just a couple of you even though there is some solo rules out there to plus its so easy to make your own custom missions to suit you as you can gather im a massive fan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 Zombie Games . . . does not have Zombicide or Zpocalypse, as the list pre-dates their release . . . but does have some interesting titles and comments (with additions) . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think it comes down to what you want in theme and gameplay.

Zombicide - still debating if I want to play this. It comes up looking and feeling "arcady" and has an interesting level up and noise mechanic. From what I've seen with this one, the Zombie Apocalypse has just started and the players are doing what they can to survive. 10 missions mean that hero players will be trying to figure out how to beat all 10 said missions.

Zpocalypse - I'm more attracted to this because in this game the Zombie Apocalypse has happened. Players are trying to do their best to scrounge and live as long as possible. From what I heard, you WILL die as the heroes. It just becomes a question of when and how soon.

Zombies!!! - This was the first of the Zombie games. It's...ok. Great as a beer and pretzel type thing, if you're looking for a filler or have gamers who hate listening to a rules explanation, this may be your go to. The game does have it's flaws, as when the end game tile (the helipad) shows up...zombie play becomes a little dumb. I would look at this as the "Munchkin" of Zombie games - it isn't bad when you first play, but sooner or later you'll find out about so much more that's out there.

Last Night on Earth:The Zombie Game - Currently the king of the B-Zombie movie games (in my opinion) I have this one and the expansions (so yes call me biased) Players get to play an archtype character found in one of many zombie movies. The settings has always felt more like right before a zombie apocalypse will occur. With the first expansion you add a lot more characters and missions for players to experience. With the simple "Die, Zombie Die!" where players have to kill x-amount of zombies to "Defend the Manor" which involves well...trying to defend a manor until daytime. I've seen every expansion as "Part 2" or a sequel. I feel this more true with Timber Peak stand alone expansion seeing that three of the characters from the "first movie" survives to be used in this new version.

So yes, while my vote may go to Last Night on Earth - I'm still willing to give the other three at least a decent chance, I think they all have their own place in your collection, however what makes LNOE a winner to me is, it has a lot more available and is a more robust experience...for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.