Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,
Looking for some recommendations for a solo game (scalable to 2 or more would be great) that has a small footprint (can be played at desk) and is short (30 min to an hour max). Also a game that can be set aside and picked back up later would be great. Basically I get some down time at work that can last from anywhere between 5 min and 30 min and would like to have a game that I can break out and play and then put away and pick up again later if needed. See my games owned for a sample of what I already have. Love fantasy, dungeon, and heavy games. So what do you recommend?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Hays
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Can you roll dice at work? Maybe Roll Through the Ages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Rose-Perry
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Red November

It is very small and you can play by yourself or add people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes keep Onirim handy. Fits well in a backpack and takes only enough room to lay out a few cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Neuroshima Hex! This game is easy to learn, easy to play, and you can probably get 2-3 games in over an hours time. It would not be difficult to take a picture of the board with your phone so you could pick the game up, then later on continue where you left off. There are also some good expansions for NH, but I recommend you go with the Z-man Games version, as the expansions are easier to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Get Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord

It's a dungeon crawl card game. The instructions are a bit of a mess (and they shouldn't be, because it's actually a very simple game), but the website has additional information on how to play and many variants, including the solo variant.

It always takes around 25 to 30 mins on solitaire mode, but if you add another player, each game will last about an extra 30 mins per person.

It's one of the best portable, fast paced solo dungeon crawl games I've ever played, however, it can get repetitive if you play it all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like your an Apple fan. Have you thought of an iPad - lots of good games for that. I especially like Neuroshima Hex and Scotland Yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulamala wrote:
It looks like your an Apple fan. Have you thought of an iPad - lots of good games for that. I especially like Neuroshima Hex and Scotland Yard.

I second this, it is very easy to player 2 player Neuroshima Hex on an ipad.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon is a free print & play dice game, all you need are the dice, the sheets and a pen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Pocket Billiards has a good fantasy theme ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Friday is great for this. You can easily pause the game in between trials, rubber band your deck, and continue playing later. The game is fast, but mechanically interesting and mathematically sound. It fails a bit on theme. I actually created my own Star Wars version of the game and have much more fun with it. But if the theme doesn't bother you too much, go out and buy Friday today!

It's also inexpensive and in a small box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday, and I also add Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Game: takes 5-10 minutes to play (so you can ply several games), plus it takes the space of an A4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the recommendations so far. Yes I can safely roll dice at work if a game calls for it. I do have an ipad with several games on it, but sometimes its just not the same. Not to mention I typically loose the ipad to my wife instead of bringing it to work.

Anything card based is probably a plus. I like Acension, but the board is a little large for work. I am based at a computer most of the day and so I am able to play at the desk, but need to quickly move the game out of the way if orders start to come up or it gets busy.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am for Lord of the Rings The Card Game

Really great game, cards, you can get in and out easilly, great with even more people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.