Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a great game. Nice art and components. Known designer on a big-time publisher...

It adds up to a hit in my mind, but it doesn't seem to be.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price. If your game is more expensive than significantly higher ranked games like Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, and Ora et Labora, why buy Lancaster first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
probably mancunian and liverpudlian propergander

(you probably need to be a brit to understand this though...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's price. I would have bought it already, but it costs a bit over 70 $ (or rather, 40 Latvian lats, which, when converted, is about 71 $) at my local store. And there are precious few games that I'd be buying at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Price. If your game is more expensive than significantly higher ranked games like Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, and Ora et Labora, why buy Lancaster first?

Ya, I guess $65 is big entry point. It is better than Troyes and WAY better than Castles of Burgandy IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

What am I missing?

It a good clean euro. And I think that may be the problem. While it's a good game IMHO, it's nothing new that I haven't seen a dozen times already.

Maybe the lackluster of the sameness is starting to show in some of these newer euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hardly call Lancaster a great game. Somewhat above average perhaps. The game itself is fairly boring and you have to put it together yourself (apply the stickers to the wooden blocks). The name is not very inspiring either. I've played it twice and it just didn't do anything for me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Colegrave
Canada
Comox
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have a fantasy theme. Seriously, Tom Vasel and Co., as much as I love 'em, are wrecking the hobby for us boring old Eurogamers who love historical themes.

I've been saying for awhile now on different reviews/threads, but for me, this game (Lancaster) destroys Lords of Waterdeep in terms of game play. Why compare them? Well, most people love Waterdeep because it is fast (60-75mins), easy to learn worker-placement for 5 players. Ditto for Lancaster, maybe slightly harder to learn. So why is one soooo much more popular that the other:

1. Price
2. Fantasy theme - and I think this is the stronger factor, but it makes me sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Lancaster for more than a year, and I just re-started to play it.
Today was the 3rd time we played this week, and I was wondering about the same thing.

Great game, really hard to master.
It just did not create enough buzz, I believe.

But there is one thing I dislike, the rulebook.
Some rules, important ones, were added as a side note, wtf. ¬¬
And the setup is not in the rulebook (only the differences for a two player game setup) There is a setup page but not in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, had my eye on it for a long time and picked up a copy at CSI's ding-and-dent sale at Gen Con for cheap. Feeling pretty good about that decision now! I'll try to get it to hit the table at the next game day and maybe I'll have something more substantive to contribute here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
wcolegrave wrote:
It doesn't have a fantasy theme. Seriously, Tom Vasel and Co., as much as I love 'em, are wrecking the hobby for us boring old Eurogamers who love historical themes.

I take offense to the Tom Vasel and Co. comment! I love dry Euros!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
riddlen wrote:

What am I missing?

It a good clean euro. And I think that may be the problem. While it's a good game IMHO, it's nothing new that I haven't seen a dozen times already.

Maybe the lackluster of the sameness is starting to show in some of these newer euros.

This is my take. After reading the game description I couldn't help but think I've played it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wcolegrave wrote:
I've been saying for awhile now on different reviews/threads, but for me, this game (Lancaster) destroys Lords of Waterdeep in terms of game play.

Totally agree here. There is a lot more bluffing, jockeying for placement, and all around backstabbing in Lancaster.

And while there's some randomness with the order of the laws, they are grouped by turns to better fit the ongoing state of the game. Lords of Waterdeep, on the other hand, is a clusterfuck of randomness that is not paced at all.

"Oh, the Lieutenant quest showed up on the last turn. Whoopee."

"The Ambassador building goes into the building pool for the last turn? Awesome!"

Stupid shit like that are what keeps Waterdeep from being a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Truthfully, Screw Lancaster...Instead why are not everyone playing Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York.? Now there's a darkhorse of a game that doesn't get enough love. And it's a game you haven't already seen a 100 times before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmanders85 wrote:
I think you mean "Why are not everyone playing Lancaster"

I fully support this one.

But I love Lancaster too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Truthfully, Screw Lancaster...Instead why are not everyone playing Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York.? Now there's a darkhorse of a game that doesn't get enough love. And it's a game you haven't already seen a 100 times before.

Screw Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York! Instead, you should be anxiously awaiting the arrival of Crown of Roses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was another WBC hotel thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wcolegrave wrote:

I've been saying for awhile now on different reviews/threads, but for me, this game (Lancaster) destroys Lords of Waterdeep in terms of game play. Why compare them? Well, most people love Waterdeep because it is fast (60-75mins), easy to learn worker-placement for 5 players. Ditto for Lancaster, maybe slightly harder to learn. So why is one soooo much more popular that the other:

1. Price
2. Fantasy theme - and I think this is the stronger factor, but it makes me sad.

I would hazard a guess to say that the fantasy theme deluge is a reaction to the overabundance of medieval and Renaissance shipping and trade route eurogames. You know those boxes I'm talking about - the dour, taciturn Venetian merchant in a doublet with slashed sleeves, feathered hat with liripipe draped over his shoulder, scowling at the viewer while holding a pouch of ducats while his brigantine can be seen through window behind him, docked in the harbor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Because Lancaster is the better game ?

Way more interactive than your standard Euro, works perfectly with 4 people (Troyes is totally borked with 4, well the 4th player is), you can easily check and see what everyone is up to (don't try that with Ora et Labora) and it's almost totally luck-free (unlike Castles of Burgundy)

Yeah, I'm a fanboy, unashamedly, it's the only game I've rated a 10 because if you get 3-5 people around the table who know what they're doing in this game, it's a knife fight, up close and personal.

Its only downside is the price - get it second-hand, but get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game. All the mechanics in the game are all things we have seen before in other games, except it is how it all fits together which makes Lancaster shine. If I was a jaded board gamer I might read the rules and dismiss it as more of the same without realising the whole is way more than the sum of its parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, why is it more expensive than similar Euros? I've only played it twice, but I won both games so it's a great game. And I liked it too.

And don't forget that chief euro-theme complainer Tom Vasel liked it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Yeah, why is it more expensive than similar Euros? I've only played it twice, but I won both games so it's a great game. And I liked it too.

And don't forget that chief euro-theme complainer Tom Vasel liked it a lot.

two words

Queen Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're looking for cutthroat interaction in your typical worker placement/Euro, then Lancaster is for you. Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem's more than simply not having a fantasy theme, it doesn't seem to be telling a story with its theme. "Lancaster"? What's that?! Is the designer/publisher just assuming I should know already?

I have no idea what the game is about, what its mechanics are, what its theme is, or if I'll like it. The title tells me nothing.

Compare that with more engaging titles like The Resistance, Sabeuteur, Masions of Madness, Twilight Imperium, or even Zombies!!!.

I'm surprised Belfort is doing so well. It's title tells me nothing either.

P.S. I will try to check out Lancaster sometime. Thank you for the recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some would argue that it is because it was just a bonus feature provided in the General. Even though Avalon Hill did a great job with the graphics and they are equal to or better than the original B-17, one might argue limited availability and in essence just being an expansion are the biggest factors.

For me though, I think it is the twin tail. Like the B-24, it was a very effective design but just wasn't as sleak and exciting as the de Havilland Mosquito, B-17, B-29 or HE-111 for example. It would be like playing a torpedo bomber simulation - if given a choice, most people probably wouldn't pick the Fairey Swordfish and its old school bi-plane wings over a Nakajima B5N (Kate) or a Grumman TBF Avenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.