Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has already happened once before with their Walking Dead game. Last I heard it was actually being investigated by BGG, but I don't think anything came of it because those ratings still stand on that game.

This game isn't nearly as terrible as that one, but these new user accounts giving 10's looks awfully suspicious, AGAIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens a lot with new games.

Often you'll see 1's to balance out the 10's. However, the BGG Rating system does not work on a simple average so we don't need to worry too much about it. If this game gets popular to the point where many users start to log their ratings, these 1's and 10's won't matter at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

By that you mean existing users who are fan boys show up and rate it a 10, or it's common for brand new accounts to be opened like what we see here?

The first is understandable to some extent. The second--particularly if it's the doing of the publisher--is reprehensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Insider lingo in the comments (both mentioning "CZE" is pretty goofy), both accounts have only one game rated... Transparent shills. Happily, the ratings are weighted to offset this kind of thing, but the need to game the ratings speaks to both the ethics of the publisher and the quality of the game.

I'm a sucker for superheroes and a I generally enjoy deck-builders, but I'll be giving this a pass, now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bootylactin wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

By that you mean existing users who are fan boys show up and rate it a 10, or it's common for brand new accounts to be opened like what we see here?

The first is understandable to some extent. The second--particularly if it's the doing of the publisher--is reprehensible.

Well, I am not making any assumptions as to the origins of these votes but it is common to see anonymously high and anonymously low ratings even before the game is released.

My only point is that these ratings would only matter if the game gets very popular. However, in that situation, users would start to submit their own ratings and the BGG rating algorithm will smooth everything out.

Everything will balance out in the end and we won't even notice the outliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Hmm... Grassroots shilling... Not sure how to feel about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Holmes! wrote:
Hmm... Grassroots shilling... Not sure how to feel about that!

It's not shilling if they're people who tried the game and liked it. Just because Cryptozoic asked them to review it doesn't make their review any less legitimate. There may be other reasons to discount their reviews, but that's not one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen wrote:
Ah-HA!

I just went on Facebook and noticed that the Crypto page is actually asking for their Facebook friends who played the game to come here and rate it. Not sure how much I like that, but at least I'm now willing to say that they aren't employees coming here to inflate the numbers.

Did they say 'rate it a 10' or just 'rate it'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen wrote:
I don't think it's too hard to believe that new users would show up at BGG for the very first time right after GenCon and start rating games. When people get a demo from the president of Crypto (who is so very passionate about the game), they are going to come away impressed.

Why would Crypto people start a new account every time a new game came around? If they inflated the numbers on Walking Dead, they would already have accounts that wouldn't look as suspicious as a new user would.

I find the rating of a 3 to be more suspicious. The guy said he played a "full game." Actually, the demos were all half games. Is he an Upper Deck employee here to make sure that the Marvel Deckbuilder gets a higher rating?

Yes, I'm a defender of Crypto as I'm a long-time WoWTCG player. But I'm not going to rate this game until after I buy it and have played every Hero.

You're a fan boy. We get it. That's fine. Now to this:

citizen wrote:
Another rating said "there is nothing new." I guess the whole "First Appereance Attacks" that the Super Villains make against ALL of the players is something he's seen in Dominion before? Nope, it's new and cool. It means that defense cards are always somewhat useful. Defensive cards can suck hard in Dominion if no attack cards come up with the randomizer.

That's my comment you're quoting there. I've played Dominion, Ascension, Thunderstone, Nightfall, and Eaten by Zombies, all of which happen to be deckbuilders. And no, your "First Appearance Attack" doesn't qualify. So I will here re-state what I said there. There's nothing new to me in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a mechanic present in NO other DBG not "qualify" as something new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Larsen
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that it takes about 3 full games to get a full appreciation for a DB game. The first game everyone is learning the rules. The second game people see how cards work with other cards. By the third game people are comfortable with the game and putting together rudimentary strategies.

Now for this game you may not feel it has anything new in the basic play mechanics but that doesn't mean its not good. It comes down to the card design. Is it fair to compare MTG with Star Trek? They are both TCG's.

I have played many games including all the deckbuilders you listed including both Ascension on the IOS and Dominion on the PC a ton. This DC deckbuilding game is fun, easy to play, lots a variance with player choice in the strategic paths they follow. With one resource you are never blocked from the main row in buying cards like Ascension. Game play is fast and keeps you engaged, unlike other deckbuilders (Thunderstone). In addition the cards match very well to the theme, such as Batman with equipment and Superman with superpowers.

This game is a solid 10 in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how I feel about this game yet, but I do want to note that Upper Deck posted about that poll on Facebook BEFORE Cryptozoic did. They were just returning the favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen wrote:
Yes, I'm a defender of Crypto as I'm a long-time WoWTCG player. But I'm not going to rate this game until after I buy it and have played every Hero.

Long time WOW TCG player, that's funny, do you like paying USD175 *4 for a playset of a card that is in all the top decks in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
nekobat wrote:
How does a mechanic present in NO other DBG not "qualify" as something new?

Monsters with Siege or Breach in Thunderstone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bootylactin wrote:
This has already happened once before with their Walking Dead game. Last I heard it was actually being investigated by BGG, but I don't think anything came of it because those ratings still stand on that game.

This game isn't nearly as terrible as that one, but these new user accounts giving 10's looks awfully suspicious, AGAIN.

lolz sounded like "being investigated by the FBI"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.