Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Beorn as a Hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorn is perhaps the most unique hero we've seen yet.

An incredible 5 attack and 10 hitpoints with sentinel and the amazing ability to defend without exhausting.

However, with only 1 defense and no attachments to augment it he is going to be taking damage consistently from nearly every attack he defends against. Of course with healing, that could be mitigated but... he is immune to player card effects including, I presume, all healing effects. And of course the 12 threat cost which is quite hefty.

So how useful does all this really make him? It seems like his primary usage is for his offense, with his defensive ability to be used sparingly to keep him in the quest as long as possible.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
He can be useful to survive some serious attacks early on, then switch to attacking later on once you have some other defenders.

Also he may be more useful if/when we get cards which lower the attack of enemies rather than increase his defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:

An incredible 5 attack and 10 hitpoints with sentinel and the amazing ability to defend without exhausting.

However, with only 1 defense and no attachments to augment it he is going to be taking damage consistently from nearly every attack he defends against. Of course with healing, that could be mitigated but... he is immune to player card effects including, I presume, all healing effects. And of course the 12 threat cost which is quite hefty.

So how useful does all this really make him? It seems like his primary usage is for his offense, with his defensive ability to be used sparingly to keep him in the quest as long as possible.

What do you guys think?

I think he can be used in the beginning to help a lot and after when he die you can easy return him with Fortune or Fate. Actually this card(I mean FOF) can be very useful with Beorn. Maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought upon seeing this card was, "I wish I'd had this when I was first trying Journey Down The Anduin." Beorn would make dealing with that initial troll a snap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll use him to absorb those first early hits from big enemies, or to just absorb little 1 or 2 attack enemies. Other than that he'll just be a really awesome attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also with 10 health he can be used to absorb untimely undefended attacks, such as if a shadow card removes a tough enemy from combat making it undefended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
Hansolo88 wrote:
but... he is immune to player card effects including, I presume, all healing effects.

Perhaps surprisingly, you can use Dori's effect to prevent Beorn getting some damage in the first place - so that at least will stop him getting whittled down by 1 or 2 points at a time.

Other than that he is designed for a strong opening. And since getting ahead of the encounter deck at the beginning is so important, he might be quite useful. No personal experience with him yet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I think he can be used in the beginning to help a lot and after when he die you can easy return him with Fortune or Fate. Actually this card(I mean FOF) can be very useful with Beorn. Maybe?

Word from the designers is that FoF and Landroval cannot return Beorn to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

They are player card effects, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But card texts only apply when the card is in play, Beorn in the discard pile is out of play, so FoF for me should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiv@n Shiv@n
France
POITIERS
flag msg tools
polychrotid wrote:

Where did you read that ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shivan0910 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:

In the "SPOILERS (all player card texts)" thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
As a few others have hinted at, I think the key is to use a couple other solid defenders along with Beorn (i.e., don't make him your only tank). Let him soak up early attacks while demolishing a few foes, then switch him to the role of designated masher (and emergency blocker).

Also, don't take him along to The Redhorn Gate. It won't end well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use Song of Mocking to take his damage? (I'm at work so I can't check my cards.) That would make his ability to defend without exhausting a lot more useful: Beorn defends while some other poor sap takes the hit and then gets healed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Apparently Nori CAN take damage from Beorn according to the game designer because Nori targets the damage and not the hero. (Still wrapping my head around that but he is the lead designer.) So wrap Nori in a Citadel Plate and Healing Herbs sandwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Apparently Nori CAN take damage from Beorn according to the game designer because Nori targets the damage and not the hero. (Still wrapping my head around that but he is the lead designer.) So wrap Nori in a Citadel Plate and Healing Herbs sandwich.

Is this an official answer given by one of designers?

If so,

Dori says "Response: After a hero is assigned any amount of damage, exhaust Dori to place that damage on Dori instead."

Song of Mocking says "Action: Exhaust Song of Mocking to choose another hero. Until the end of the phase, attached hero takes all damage assigned to the chosen hero."

Partying Gift says "Action: Move any number of resource tokens from a Leadership hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool.
"

Would Song of Mocking or Partying Gift also work on Beorn?

Or does the text "choose another hero" is a card effect and since Beorn is immune to it it wouldn't work? (I noticed Dori doesn't say "choose a hero")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Shivan0910 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:

My play group asked them at GenCon.

And apparently there was a misunderstanding, as Caleb has corrected me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
ellareth wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Is this an official answer given by one of designers?

If so,

Dori says "Response: After a hero is assigned any amount of damage, exhaust Dori to place that damage on Dori instead."

Song of Mocking says "Action: Exhaust Song of Mocking to choose another hero. Until the end of the phase, attached hero takes all damage assigned to the chosen hero."

Partying Gift says "Action: Move any number of resource tokens from a Leadership hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool.
"

Would Song of Mocking or Partying Gift also work on Beorn?

Or does the text "choose another hero" is a card effect and since Beorn is immune to it it wouldn't work? (I noticed Dori doesn't say "choose a hero")

First post here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Thank you for the link.

I suppose I'd better starting looking at FFG forums as well as BGG now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so Beorn can't even be healed? "Immune to player effects" and high threat make him somewhat useless overall...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Wait, so Beorn can't even be healed? "Immune to player effects" and high threat make him somewhat useless overall...
Far more useful than you might think.

Check out this blog article (including the comments) for some ideas on how to use Beorn effectively.
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/deck-the-bears-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, but when Beorn was initially released he was fairly useless imo...or at least limited. It's true that with the (much later released cards) mentioned in the article, he's a usable and interesting hero. But I lack such cards. I only have the Khazad-dum expack, Hobbit expacks, and the Mirkwood and Dwarrowdwelf cycles for cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Hm, but when Beorn was initially released he was fairly useless imo...or at least limited.

Beorn is my favorite hero card. I've used him a lot since his release and even got Caleb Grace to autograph him. He's been getting some more helpful cards lately as was said, but he's always been super useful.

Sure Beorn doesn't have some awesome game text ability or many cards that work with him, but never underestimate a Hero that can block multiple times and then attack with strength 5 every turn.

There's a LOT of early quests where he can sentinel block like 3 goblins and then auto-punch a mid-size enemy off the table every turn.

You don't even have to really include many Tactics cards in your deck. Throw like him, 2 Feints, and 2 Landroval into a different sphere deck that needs attack/defense help and that's enough. Use the Landroval trick when Beorn runs out of health to reset him.

Beorn doesn't seem flashy I think since attack/defend are just core frames of the game and he also has negative game text. But that's the heart of the game right there. Beorn helps your deck get set up early. He takes on the brunt of the blocking early and helps rip enemies off the table so that the rest of your deck can fully set up. By then he's probably near-out of health but you do the Landroval trick and he's good, or you just stop blocking with him and continue to use his 5 attack.

Not flashy but just a solid, tough hero willing to get a little bloody and rip apart some prey. Which pretty much sums up what a bear should be. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll use Landroval. And I guess Dori with Citadel plate could work also, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Ok, I'll use Landroval. And I guess Dori with Citadel plate could work also, right?

Citadel Plate only attaches to a hero. You could give him Boots from Erebor and play some healers to keep him healed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.