Subject: [Beginner] How many remote servers ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played A:NR nor original NR, so I was wondering in which situation a corp wants to use several remote servers ?

It seems to me that the corp need to score agenda as fast as possible, and thus should focus on one agenda at a time. Then one strongly defended server is enough, right ? Or am I missing something ?

Based on your experience how many remote servers a corp use on average ? Is a second (or third) remote server a common thing ? For what purpose ?

Thanks for the insights !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many remote servers ?
You can make as many as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it depends on what strategy the Corporation is pursuing. Sure, you can create only one remote server and advance all your agendas there, but this paints a huge target on that server and doesn't make the Runner have to waste clicks running on other servers.

Multiple remote servers allow you to have assets installed at the same time as agendas. This on its own is good because many assets help you advance your agendas plus it creates a distraction to the Runner.

On average I'd say you're likely to see 2-3 remote servers up at a time, but it's not improbable to see more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
It also costs increasing numbers of credits to install multiple layers of ice on a single server. You can add that fifth layer of ice onto your one server, but it'll cost you four credits on top of whatever it costs to rez it. Better to spread the love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have an Asset (such as Adonis Campaign) in parallel to your Agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need, at some point, at least one, because it's the only way to advance Agenda.

You may have as many as you can create, which means the most you could have would be the total of your ICE/Asset/Agenda/Upgrade cards, assuming one of those per server.

But doing that would be very, very silly and the Runner would be running your unprotected R&D and HQ and would win the game far before you got that many Servers active.

In practical terms, most people end up with 1-2 heavily defended remote servers and then a few less defended or undefended servers for Assets that have high trash costs or that the Corp isn't as worried about protecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
In practical terms, most people end up with 1-2 heavily defended remote servers and then a few less defended or undefended servers for Assets that have high trash costs or that the Corp isn't as worried about protecting.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Related: if you have too many Servers that you want to defend, you will run into problems with the number of ICE cards you need to defend them.

ICE is essential, but not productive (it absorbs resources you'd prefer to use advancing Agendas). Corp wants "enough" ICE. Too much ICE means unusable cards in hand. Too little ICE means thin defenses where your plan requires solid defenses.

This all means that your deck has a "designed in" number of Secondary Servers, and a "sweet spot" for the defensive strength of each Server. As the earlier posters pointed out, you can design for one or two poorly- or undefended Remote Servers. For example a credit-generator with a much higher trash cost than card-cost is a good candidate for an undefended Server. The risk of a rich runner trashing it anyway is balanced by your deck requiring less ICE (hence room for a few spare credit-generators).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for those explanations, I have a better understanding of the picture now. I completly overlooked the fact that ICE installation cost is increased for each layer already present on a server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

This.

For example, in my final game last night (as HB vs. Gabe, non-constructed), I had six remote servers running at the end of the game, only one of which was ICE'd. The other 5 were a trap that I'd laid on turn two (1 advance) which he never ran, 3(!) Pad Campaigns and a face-down Melange Mining that I'd tossed out as bait to try and take some of the pressure off of HQ. Granted, that had been a weird game. (I'd drawn all of 5 ICE, and almost half of my agendas. He should have won, but in his own words: "My brain switched off somewhere halfway through the last game we played.")

In other news: Pad Campaign seems like a really good card. Just high enough trash value that it gives the runner a headache thinking about blowing it up even if it's undefended, but a good enough effect that he really wants to trash it. Granted, I'm a newb, I may well be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single doubt wrote:
Pad Campaign seems like a really good card. Just high enough trash value that it gives the runner a headache thinking about blowing it up even if it's undefended, but a good enough effect that he really wants to trash it.

I agree. PAD Campaign is one of the few assets you can likely get away with installing/rezzing undefended...

...which is why you try and have all 3 out at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all of the credit agendas are worth trashing unprotected. It seems runners need to know some basic financial formulas, specifically present value calculations. How much is an asset that yields one credit every turn worth? Quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.