Subject: Viva el Presidente rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

the new edition of TAL has finally made it to my table.
Allow me to present you some impressions about the game system I apply.

Variety is king!

The situation: in 20xx, an ambitious generalissimo decided to "visit" a neighbor ... somewhere in South America. This did not go unnoticed and a special unit - the Troubleshooters - were sent south to stop "El Presidente".

The game provides 25 "targets". They are all somehow fixed. That limitation is gone.
For this scenario, the enemy has but one regular unit, all the other ones are "small" battalions (mostly badly trained and equipped units of questionable military value).
Here is el Presidente's force.
2A (Tank Force) is the best unit of the enemy. The other 6 are all "small" battalions.
The force exceeds the given limit of 25 VP by just one point. Lucky Troubleshooters.

Each battalion has a chance to get traits.

Here is the result for a unit.

All of them.
A possible interpretation.
2A - Seems to be el Presidente's own unit. Best equipped and trained battalion.
6A - The hammer of the enemy. Once this is gone, the pilots will feel much better.
11A - Apparently the most aggressive unit.
12A - Equipped with long range SAM and AAA. High threat. But if this battalion is destroyed, the enemy morale will suffer severely.
5S - Appears to provide the main flow of fuel for the enemy. Their advance would be hampered once it is lost. This target seems to be a challenge as the pilots would learn a lot attacking it.
6S - Nothing special.
3C - The Command&Control centre of the enemy. As long as it is operational, the Troubleshooters will be under constant pressure.

TAL is a great game as it provides a story each time you play it.

The initial position of the seven battalions.

The Troubleshooters got 4 aircraft: 2 A-10s and 2 F-16s

This resulted in 6 pilots.
Note the slightly changed skill levels.

Operation HYDRA is about to begin.

Lucky again. One of the pilots actually is highly qualified for this operation. Serpent will get a lot of chances to prove her value in combat soon.

That's it for the moment.

What would be your plan for Day 1?
HYDRA is a Show of Force operation and will last for just two days.
The VP table of the IRAQ introduction scenario is used.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first day of operation HYDRA.

Two targets were selected, to be attacked by two aircraft each.

First mission: Serpent and Dart attack 5S, a fuel depot.
A-10s are true work horses as they can carry a huge payload.

The target area.

TAL provides 25 different targets. But each is fixed and is restricted to 2 different constellations (full strength and reduced).
Hmmm ... this turns into something predictable and repetitive. Even worse, players will develop their "master" plan for each target.
I think this does not reflect the simulated situation pretty well. The targets should vary and there must be a high degree of uncertainty about the targets' details. A tank battalion will, of course, contain quite a few tanks, but it should not always be the same number, for example.
Therefore ...
I use Unit cards as the tool to "generate" the targets. This way they will be always different and the cards also allow to inject more modifications easily (e.g. campaign parameters, operation type, target unit type alterations).
Think about different types of tanks, for example.
Here is the result for 5S (unique for this specific mission).

The 10 units - and the two attackers - are placed on the battlefield.
The valley invites to start the attack at low altitude.

The battle was short and fierce. Here is an example of a launch of 4 pieces of ordnance.
Ooops! Do you recognize the mistake I made here?!
The effect is disastrous for the defenders.
I placed the wrong ordnance counters for the photo ... there should be Mavericks placed.

Serpent did a good job here.
A few seconds later, Dart released the final "volley".

The remaining units ... the Fuel Depot was destroyed.

"Let's go home."

The enemy's advance might be hampered now.

On the way home, the pilots were informed that "El Presidente" was as determined as ever.

The second mission was a success, too. At the end of the day, the enemy force looked like this.
The conflict wasn't decided yet, as the enemy got closer. SO point losses might lead to failure!

Here is the ordnance spent for both missions of Day 01.

Statistics.

Day 02. A nice start as "El Presidente"s air arm seems to be in big trouble.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Looks like you fired high-altitude ordinance from a low-altitude aircraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

SERPENT was at High altitude when she launched the Rockeyes and Mavericks.

Cheers
U.L.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You fired BGM's from a Falcon? You need some of my variant weapons me-thinks..lol (walleye's and Shrikes)

Cool stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good point!

Dart and his crew must have been 'Nam veterans ...

Won't happen again.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.