Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How rewarding do you find playing Mage Knight Solo? I don't think I'll be able to get my regular gaming group into this game so wanted some opinions on how folks feel about this game when played solo vs with other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
How rewarding do you find playing Mage Knight Solo? I don't think I'll be able to get my regular gaming group into this game so wanted some opinions on how folks feel about this game when played solo vs with other players.

I really like it... I have yet to really play it with anyone else (other than the PBF I'm in), but really enjoy the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like solo games. At all. I have played five games of solo Mage Knight EVEN THOUGH my special ladyfriend really likes the game and is often willing to play. Sometimes, though, you just want to play Mage Knight at 1am, you know? In other words, it's pretty great as a solo, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solo game, hands down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no other games I've found that I'm willing to play solo. I enjoy Mage Knight enough to solo play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game solo though it is a lot of work to set up and clean up by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a habit of using tackle boxes and deck boxes for any game with this many bits; they cut down on setup/put away time quite a bit. Now I just have to wait for payday so I can afford a copy.

Mage Knight Board Game should hold me over until the core worlds expansion comes out. And more importantly it might keep me away from my computer for a bit.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/125099/core-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually strongly prefer this as a solo game. In the few games of multiplayer I've played, I've found unless the players are evenly matched, it is very unforgiving to the weaker player, and has a very large runaway leader problem. If players are equally skilled, the leader has a harder time pulling away, but I find it very frustrating multiplayer, but enjoyable solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mage Knight is the opposite of many games that boast both multi-player and solo capability. Most of these games are multi-player with rules for solo play. Mage Knight is a solo game that can scale up to accommodate more players without changing the rules.

Sometimes I think of Mage Knight multi-player like a round of golf with your friends. You might have a beer or three riding on the outcome, but if you finish with your best score ever, you won't mind buying the beer afterward if your buddies are just better golfers.

The good news is that for the price of a single round of golf, you can buy a copy of Mage Knight and play it as many times as you like. And when I play Mage Knight I rarely lose any of the pieces in the tall grass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are playing on the grass
Shield tokens are really small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the Rules forum to the General forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do I find solo play rewarding in itself, but playing solo enough times to where I could beat the scenario dramatically improved my performance in multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since starting this thread I have immersed myself in the solo conquest scenario; I have found I only do well when I pick up round a golem (the physical resistance armor 3) and can take a mage tower for a decent spell in the first day. Any later and my play falls apart as damage becomes a huge issue fast. Not needing to block is a huge advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like when designers include rules for solo play (this happens in cooperative games mostly), but I never use them for anything else except learning the game before our gaming night.

Mage Knight Board Game however was different. It kinda feels like a single player mission of Heroes of Might and Magic (the PC game). I have played it solo many times and plan to play it solo many times in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
since starting this thread I have immersed myself in the solo conquest scenario; I have found I only do well when I pick up round a golem (the physical resistance armor 3) and can take a mage tower for a decent spell in the first day. Any later and my play falls apart as damage becomes a huge issue fast. Not needing to block is a huge advantage.

I actually think Guardian Golems are overcosted. They are weak offensively, and their physical resistance makes them immune to only a few of the weaker monsters. Yes, it's nice to challenge Wolf Riders and have the damage bounce off your Golems, but I would often rather have a unit that can move or fight, (like Foresters) because it helps me if I draw the "wrong" cards.

Of the keep units, I actually like Utem Swordsmen and Utem Guardsmen better than Golems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Foresters are useful through out the game and make it easier to get around many of the green tiles.

I like the Guardian Golemns because they can soak the damage for half the green and gray creatures over and over in a given day so I can focus all my advanced actions/spells/resources on burning down whatever I end up facing. Guess I'm just not a big fan of building toward a blocking setup. I greatly prefer to load up on range/siege attacks and avoid being damaged whenever possible. Those with the most dangerous attack tend to have the weakest health and can be ranged down. The illusionists are nice, but physical resistance 2 doesn't get you very far (but the pay a white to cc target unfortified is real nice). If I had to pick between the two on the first round I would pick the guardian golemns becuase I can preform alot more fights with them than without. I also end up only recruiting a few units per game, but as most of my games are solo games, it might just a selection problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.