Subject: Mysteries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another of my ideas - as yet unformed - but go with it - for the game.

What if we alter the way the game is won?

I'm thinking that as yet there is no climactic battle with the Villain and that not all pulp stories had to be recovering mysterious artefacts.

So what about mystery cards' as 2 decks (the name is up for debate)- just like the artefact/adventure deck.

The first half of the 'mystery' is things like 'The Curse', 'The Revenge', 'The Shadow', 'The Terror' 'The Doom' 'The Masterplan', 'The Talons' 'The Monster' 'The Evil' 'The Claws' 'The Power' 'The Bride' 'the Fury' 'The Prisoner' 'The Weapon' 'The Creature' 'The Secret' 'The Slaves' 'The Venom' 'The Blood' etc etc

The other deck forms the second half 'threat' with 'of the Nazis', 'of the Mob' 'of the Lost World, 'of the Tong' 'of the Undersea Kingdom' 'of the Cult of the Red Hand' 'of the Desert' 'of Hidden Island' 'of the Jungle' 'of the Spider Queen' 'of the Mummy' 'of Stonehenge' 'of the Swamp' 'of the Deep' 'of the Dead' 'of the Amazons' 'of Loch Ness' etc etc

So you pick one card from the first deck and one from the second - just like you do with artefacts

So we get 'The Terror of the Tongs', 'The Curse of the Undersea Kingdom' etc

Instead of Fortune, the first half (mystery bit) has a 'Justice' value - just like Fortune on artefacts - and gives some adventure modifier perhaps (like on the bottom of some adventure cards). The second half gives the requirement to complete the mystery - defeat a Villain (if the nazis are the Enemy etc) or visit a location (for the undersea kingdom etc) along with a Danger value as normal on adventures.

The victory conditions could then be gain 15 Justice OR Fortune (any combination)

At the start of the game, instead of 4 artefacts, place out 2 artefacts and 2 mysteries.

This might give a wider pulp flavour, encourage more climactic battles and open up gateways to getting other pulp genres into the game

Thoughts and opinions welcome as usual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to make events etc more specific to environments but I think that boat has sailed and introducing it would be a major overhaul..

I don't want to change anything about the game - I like it as it is - it's pretty brilliant at nailing a pulp era game.

What I do want to do is add to the experience by giving some more variety with extra rules and systems - all of which can be optional and all of which are 'modular' in nature. This means that you can play with one added rule or system (such as Guest Stars or Capture or Quests etc) without any of the others.

This means that what I do can be 'cherry picked' by players and if they don't like one system or they feel it makes the game too complex or long or whatever, they can leave it out and still play with the others.

I'm still thrashing out logistics of the 'mystery' system and wondering if my Legend system should actually form part of it rather than be separate (Mind you I still haven't nailed that yet!) I'm looking at some lost world stuff at the moment which I'm not publishing here as I know Flying Frog is doing that in an official product and I don't want to tread on any toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea a LOT.

My copy of the game arrives Wednesday the 29th !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks - and you're going to love the game!

I think I've found a way to marry all the systems together and still have them to be separate if we want them.

what if....

Instead of 4 artefact/adventures being laid out at the start of the game, we lay out 4 Hooks.

The Hooks show ways into the adventure and use the ideas from my adventure hook deck. Once a player gains a Hook he can get on with the adventure.

To gain a hook, a player usually has to fulfill a condition.

I say usually as some Hooks will be 'public' and the adventure is automatically revealed - say 'interesting newspaper article' is an example of this type of Hook. All the Heroes can read it, so the adventure is out in the open and would function as a usual artefact adventure. More Hooks will have the Condition to gain - 'A Friend in Need' will require the Hero to have an Ally, 'Archaelogical Dig' might have a Hero need to travel to a random space, 'Museum exhibit' might need the Hero to go to a Museum city, and so on. 'A Dame Walked In' actually gives you a female Ally!

The Hook is easy to gain though for most part

Now here's the clever part - each Hook specifies the type of adventure the Hook leads to - this can be:
An Artefact adventure (as usual in the game) such as 'relic fragment',
A Mystery adventure (as specified above) such as 'dead body',
A Quest adventure (an artefact or mystery adventure where you have to hunt for clues)

(Legends as a system is now obselete - they can be handled by the Mystery/threat system - 'The Terror of Loch Ness', 'The Curse of Stonehenge')

We can even have a Lost world adventure (easily done by the Mystery sytem with Threats like 'of the Hollow Earth' 'of the Lost World', 'of Hidden Island') 'and so on.

When a hook is taken by a player, a new Hook is dealt - again just like the normal game.

The only thing I haven't nailed yet is players jumping in on other players' adventures. Currently you don't need an kind of hook or information to go on an artefact adventure - you just go there. They are all 'public' as it were.

With the hook system, unless an adventure is 'public', once a player has a hook then the subsequent adventure is 'his' and other players cannot jump in - Villains still can though. Is this an issue? I'm not sure yet... Perhaps we can do a few Event cards that allow this barging in?

Villains and Vile Organisations still operate as normal as soon as the Adventure (whatever type) is revealed..

More thoughts on Mysteries...

The first part is called the 'Mystery', the second part the 'Threat'

The Mystery will detail the type of problem and have special rules. For example 'The Curse' might make Allies make Loyalty rolls in the Adventure location because they are scared.'The Revenge' or 'The Fury' might increase Enemy Fight Dice etc becuase they're 'coming back for more'.
It will also have a Justice value. This functions as victory points (like Fortune) and is also used (like a Fortune value) to determine if a Villain apears in the adventure (with the rationale that a high Justice value represents an important plan of the Vile Organisation)
A slight edge 'Justice' has over 'Fortune' is that you don't have to cash in Justice like returning an artefact to a city, so perhaps Justice values generally are slightly lower?

The Threat will have a Location. This can be random (city or space), generic (such as a certain terrain type or say a Sea space with value 3 for the UnderSea Kingdom), or specific (Egypt for 'the Mummy'). It will also have a Danger number as usual and perhaps any special rules or encounters that a Hero must overcome to complete it. so if your Threat is 'the Mob', you will have to defeat Mobsters or a Mob Villain in a Fight at the climax.
Note also that if your Vile Organisation that is in the game is also mentioned on a Threat card (there will be two or three of each Vile Organisation in the Threat deck), then this will count as a Plot and increase the Justice value of the Mystery. The rationale behind this is that this adventure is a grand scheme of the Nazis or whatever. this increase will mean that the Vile Organisation are almost bound to turn up to complete the adventure (as opposed to going after another artefact.

what about that?

This opens up a whole new game dimension without altering anything of the base game except for the setup.

Obviously it's 3 new decks of cards - Hooks, Mystery and Threats - probably 20 of each? I'm also considering a set of Monster cards (say 12?) that would be brought into play with Mystery cards such as 'The Monster' or 'The Terror' etc. This would be usual stuff like giant spiders, Zombies, a dinosaur or 3, a swamp thing etc and be great for mysteries like 'The Monster of the Lost Kingdom' or 'Terror of the Tongs'

We would also need a few Event cards that could tie into Justice points.

But I think the new gameplay options would be worth it

Again, thoughts and comments welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for some examples of what I mean in this variant:

Taking 'The Prisoner', 'The Revenge' and 'The Curse' for Mystery cards and 'of the Nazis', 'of the Desert' and 'of the Undersea Kingdom' as Threat cards.

'The Prisoner'
Symbol: Person
Justice: 2
When this Mystery is resolved, draw an Ally card (or Guest Star and add their Kidnap value to Justice value)

'The Curse'
Symbol: Supernatural, Monster (5)
Justice: 2
When you are at the Adventure location each Ally must make a Loyalty 4+ roll at the start of your Adventure phase or be discarded.

'The Revenge'
Symbols: Plot
Justice: 3
All Enemies and Villains have +1 Fight Dice in this Adventure. The Vile Organisation needs 2 spaces less on the Villain track whilst this Mystery is on the table.

'of the Nazis'
Symbols: Plot, Villain
Dangers: 3 (1 must have Nazi keyword). After Dangers are overcome, Fight a Nazi Enemy.
Location: Put a Nazi Secret Base at a Random Location. Nazi Villains have +1 Search here.

The Plot keyword means that the Justice value of the attached Mystery is normally +2. If the Nazis are also the Vile Organisation in the game it double instead and a Nazi Villain must go to this location before all others. If the Nazis are not the Vile Organisation, other Vile Organisations will NOT attempt to resolve this Mystery. Other Threat cards with Vile organiations in the title like 'of the Mob' etc play the same way.

(The Monster keyword with a number means that if instructed to draw an Enemy card here, first roll 1D6 and if the result is equal or higher to the number shown then instead draw a Monster card)

'of the Under Sea Kingdom'
Symbol: Place, Monster (4)
Dangers: 4 (1 must have Water keyword)
Gain an extra 5 Glory when all Dangers overcome.

'of the Desert'
Symbol: Place, Monster (6)
Dangers: 3
Redraw any 'Water' Dangers. At the start of each Adventure Phase, take 1 Wound (ignoring Defense). Any Monster here will be the Mummy (Fight Dice +1).

So with these 6 cards we have 9 potential adventures such as:

'The Curse of the UnderSea Kingdom', 'The Revenge of the Desert' and 'The Prisoner of the Nazis'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a final showdown, but I don't know that we need to complicate it too much.

I developed a similar mechanic that I'm working on for my Dread Pirate remake, wherein you get a certain number of victory points (in this case, Fortune), at which point you get to reveal the villain's main objective (a "mystery" card in this case. And, of course, this really only works with the co-op game.

So let's say the villain needs 15 fortune to win, and adventurers need 30 fortune.

Perhaps when the villians get their 15, they begin executing their mysterious, ultimate goal. The card(s) is/are revealed. Because the adventurers did not get their 30, they are at a disadvantage to stop them.

If the adventurers get their 30 first, they can reveal the mystery and try to do a final quest to stop the villains before they can begin, and are thus at an advantage to defeat them.

This way, an end-game scenario always plays out, but there is still an incentive for the adventurers to get their fortune acquired first.

If you want to keep the mechanic of building the mystery from two cards, you could have the adventurer's quest (they got their fortune first) on one card, and the villain's quest (harder) on the second card (they got their fortune first). Since the second card has more to do with the location, adventurers would have to travel to that location to begin the quest, thus adding an additional travel requirement.

Thoughts?

(Edited with more details)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the final big adventure idea.

I suppose what I'm trying to do here is emulate pulp serials that are not necesarily fortune hunts recovering artefacts.

And in doing so, reusing the artefact/adventure mechanic to create them.

Some more thoughts came from my 2 player playtest this afternoon so I'll get those written in soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I toyed with removing 'Justice' as an indicator from the game, and just having Fortune values for Mysteries, but it doesn't fit thematically, so i'm sticking with it..

The game will have to have Justice tokens of course (like F and G) (ATOE Investigation tokens will fit...)

Since players very rarely spend Fortune to fly between cities, but that is an option, I wanted a little mechanic for Justice.

What about:
when your Justice total reaches 5, Gear, Allies and Common Items are Cost -1 (min 1). when total reaches 10, they are Cost -2, when 15, Cost -3 (usually irrelevent since that's the usual victory condition.)

Will that work? It's a litle incentive to have some Justice points.

Plus we need some City cards to play with Justice such as:
Good/Bad reputation +1/-1 Justice
Solve Crime: gain +1 Justice for Cunning 4(XX) roll (fail - fight mob) in the City (bit like secret packages)
Blackmailed: -2 Justice unless Cunning 5(XX)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
I like the idea of a final showdown, but I don't know that we need to complicate it too much.

I developed a similar mechanic that I'm working on for my Dread Pirate remake, wherein you get a certain number of victory points (in this case, Fortune), at which point you get to reveal the villain's main objective (a "mystery" card in this case. And, of course, this really only works with the co-op game.

So let's say the villain needs 15 fortune to win, and adventurers need 30 fortune.

Perhaps when the villians get their 15, they begin executing their mysterious, ultimate goal. The card(s) is/are revealed. Because the adventurers did not get their 30, they are at a disadvantage to stop them.

If the adventurers get their 30 first, they can reveal the mystery and try to do a final quest to stop the villains before they can begin, and are thus at an advantage to defeat them.

This way, an end-game scenario always plays out, but there is still an incentive for the adventurers to get their fortune acquired first.

If you want to keep the mechanic of building the mystery from two cards, you could have the adventurer's quest (they got their fortune first) on one card, and the villain's quest (harder) on the second card (they got their fortune first). Since the second card has more to do with the location, adventurers would have to travel to that location to begin the quest, thus adding an additional travel requirement.

I like this - but see it as an extra type of game really - the co-op Masterplan' game as it were. reduce the Villain Track requirement to reveal the Masterplan (so if the Villains need 15 to usually beat the players, the Plan is revealed after 10 for the Villains, or if the players gain 15 rather than the usual 20 reqired for a player win)

I can see an extra deck of 'Masterplan' cards for the Villains..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks Simon.

I thought I had read everything, but somehow missed Myths. Now, to read up on it....

Wait a second, I've been here, but that was at two posts. LoL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Simon.

These are excellent modifications. You have a gift for this.

With regards to private adventures and other players entering that adventure a few new Event Cards seems like a good way to go. One Event Card might be, "Contact telegrams you about a new discovery" or "Allies in the region have been watching character (x).". The first Event Card when played allows a player to join an adventure as normal, while the second only allows a player to enter an adventure in a location at or adjacent to his/ her current location.

A note about your new monsters. I've read at least a half a dozen stories from the fourties and earlier, in which an adventurer in some remote location forgotten by time and man encounter an ancient creature from the stars. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - glad you like them.

I've done 12 of each now - 12 Mysteries and 12 Threats so that's about 120 adventures (some are doubled on the Mysteries)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.