Subject: Share your stories of horrid poor sportsmanship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my last post of games that cause cursing got some good responses, I would like to hear some gamer's horror stories of opponents or players losing control and making a scene. I would love to hear how bad it can get.

No need to include names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools
"Dave" was playing Vanguard at a store. He had the biggest collection of cards. He lost and then lost it, and proceeded to throw all of his cards at his opponent. Then, he took all of his collection and proceeded to dump it in front of the store owner...and walked away. He left the store.

The gamers there all scrambled to pick up the now abandoned cards. The store owner could not muster the strength to stand up as he was ROFLMAO'ing (literally). Dave, in a charitable manner, gave away hundreds of dollars worth of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist is full of such examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Steve" got one of his major routes blocked in Ticket to Ride.
He storms out of the table, reaches the kitchen and then grabs a giant ice cream pot.
He then makes his way to the balcony projecting a gargoyle shaped silhouette of a 41 year old spoiled man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing this once, whenever someone mentions a gaming tantrum this comes to mind. A parody, but still funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst experience I had was during a day I was running some GW events at the local FLG, mainly Warhammer and 40K,
One fellow who was advised by his friend that he made an error on his turn which I agreed with as the judge, turned around and actually punched him directly in the kidney area so hard in fact that he lost his breath and almost fell to his knees.
Surprisingly I didn't kick him out of the store but reprimanded him and warned him to never act out like this towards anyone again.
Fortunately that is the only time I've seen physical abuse due to bad sportsmanship but there have been plenty of verbal fights, players storming off and dice thrown accross the room both with Tabletop games and board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and I forget the exact card setup, but I had a hero card that let me borrow another players' hero for my turn, and once my turn was over the other player would need to discard that hero (basically meaning I made my turn awesome and made my friend's turn useless). It's a brutal card ability for sure.

Anyway I was using the ability on my friend and when I reached for his hero card, he actually smashed my hand with his fist on the table, with full force. If I had curled my fingers even a little bit he could have broken my fingers, but fortunately my hand was completely flat so it didn't do any serious damage.

I hate this kind of behavior in games.

I'm more the kind of person where if somebody uses the game mechanics to screw me over, I respond with "well played..." or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
People cheating and managing to lose.

It's so sad I don't think it can be topped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have walked out on MANY games. Mainly elimination based games and area control based. I have to much to do in my life than sit and slowly bleed out for an hour or more. There is literally no point. Does the 1st place player really need to win the compete game to make himself/herself feel good about themselves. You win...I concede

Never had been involved or around a tantrum, but anyone that involve in a silly little board game needs a reality check. If anyone ever got physical over a board game I would do what their parents should have done all those years ago and beat the crap out of them. If you want to quit fine. Logically explain that the likelihood or odds of winning are next to none and I am fine with you quitting as long as you are fine with me rubbing in your face that I beat you/ made you quit until we play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend "Matt" played the video game BlazBlue for a few years, and seemed to reach a plateau where he couldn't get any better. He knew the moves and combos, but he kept making unforced input errors resulting in losses (such as trying to hop forward and do a move in midair, and instead just hopping and eating a foot). So he bought a $180 arcade style "fight pad" to see if would help with his input errors. After a few months using that, he hadn't improved to his satisfaction. At the end of a particularly frustrating day, he lost a match that he could/should have won if he had just finished his combo, but instead accidentally burst (how?) and "Matt" picked up his fight stick and smashed it over his knee.

Hey wait... my name is "Matt"...

D'oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
I have walked out on MANY games... I have to much to do in my life than sit and slowly bleed out for an hour or more. There is literally no point.

Other players' enjoyment? The social contract? Ensuring that they ever play with you again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
roberious wrote:
The worst experience I had was during a day I was running some GW events at the local FLG, mainly Warhammer and 40K,
One fellow who was advised by his friend that he made an error on his turn which I agreed with as the judge, turned around and actually punched him directly in the kidney area so hard in fact that he lost his breath and almost fell to his knees.
Surprisingly I didn't kick him out of the store but reprimanded him and warned him to never act out like this towards anyone again.
Fortunately that is the only time I've seen physical abuse due to bad sportsmanship but there have been plenty of verbal fights, players storming off and dice thrown accross the room both with Tabletop games and board games.

You didn't kick him out for a physical assault? Wow, now that's a loose tournament! I would have thought that criteria for disqualification would kick in before criteria for arrest, but I've never participated in a tournament. The way I play Cosmic Encounter alone, perhaps I'm better sticking to gamedays at my house around people who have love and patience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Bhobs wrote:
I have walked out on MANY games... I have to much to do in my life than sit and slowly bleed out for an hour or more. There is literally no point.

Other players' enjoyment? The social contract? Ensuring that they ever play with you again?

Here is one thread (I'm sure of many) on the topic. I can imagine mitigating circumstances, but generally these are not terms under which I would want to play with someone. I would have a problem with a player walking away from a game we had all agreed to play and invested time in just because it was going poorly for them individually. I have no problem with other groups having a culture where it is acceptable as long as they all honestly agree to it; it's just hard for me to imagine. To each group their own, really.

(I take that back: if I were punched in the kidneys at the table, I would probably politely excuse myself.)
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sullivan
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I had a camera, I'd post a pic of a scar on my jaw that I got as a result of a wrestling match with my brother because I invaded Brazil in Risk when we were kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing three new players to Catan:
- One player decided to place settlements in horrible positions, but ones that will disrupt my expansion, because they want to nullify my advantage of "knowing the game."
- Another player places settlements in spots with identical resources, hamstringing their ability to do much of anything. Player then decides they would rather just build their entire stock of roads for the fun of it, rather than pursue a winning strategy.

It was the game of Catan that would never end. I still have nightmares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new guy came to our gaming night. I was "fortunate" enough to get to play with the dude the first game. I won and the dude accused me of cheating, without reason. The dude continued to accuse me all night. Even his friend got tired of his behaviour.

Well, so far so good, I just shook it off.

But then the dude came again and started accusing me of cheating *again*, before we even started. I started to feel embarressed because what if someone started to belive this guy?!

But then he continued to accuse everyone winning over him of cheating. In his world no one can beat him if they don't cheat....

Bad sportsmanship!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
I have walked out on MANY games. Mainly elimination based games and area control based. I have to much to do in my life than sit and slowly bleed out for an hour or more. There is literally no point. Does the 1st place player really need to win the compete game to make himself/herself feel good about themselves. You win...I concede

You should know that some elimination-based area control games can have huge point swings at game-end where someone thought to be in last place ends up winning. Dominant Species is one of these.

Now, a 2-player game where the winner is absolutely clear well before the end of the game, I agree it's safe to concede there, no point in extending your misery.

Multi-player though, even if the winner is clear, at least you can try to fight for 2nd or 3rd.
Plus there's Reiner Knizia's famous quote
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
I've been in some great games with long-lasting memories where I didn't win but I still had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:

It was the game of Catan that would never end. I still have nightmares.

That sounds like most of my Catan matches. To quote Jurassic Park 2, "Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I remember playing Axis and Allies in high school on lunch break (a game could run for a couple weeks). We`d typically choose forces randomly. One guy, I`ll call him "Jay", pulled USSR, which he felt meant he was automatically dead. So instead of doing his best for the team, he spent all his starting cash on a Battleship, which he insisted on moving around the board on his turn for the rest of the game, often spending 5-10 minutes "planning" where he should move. Keep in mind, we were all far from expert at the game back then...after the Axis divided USSR between them, the game would usually continue for another week of sessions before being decided.

The ultimate kicker came when "Jay" started insisting that his battleship could move on the rivers printed on the map, and started "portaging" from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

Naturally, he was also the only player besides myself who showed up for every session. And he did it with the clear intention of ruining the game for everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
KamikazeJohnson wrote:
I remember playing Axis and Allies in high school on lunch break (a game could run for a couple weeks). We`d typically choose forces randomly. One guy, I`ll call him "Jay", pulled USSR, which he felt meant he was automatically dead. So instead of doing his best for the team, he spent all his starting cash on a Battleship, which he insisted on moving around the board on his turn for the rest of the game, often spending 5-10 minutes "planning" where he should move. Keep in mind, we were all far from expert at the game back then...after the Axis divided USSR between them, the game would usually continue for another week of sessions before being decided.

The ultimate kicker came when "Jay" started insisting that his battleship could move on the rivers printed on the map, and started "portaging" from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

Naturally, he was also the only player besides myself who showed up for every session. And he did it with the clear intention of ruining the game for everyone else.

aaaaah, highschool. I have to say that this sounds hilarious in a "you had to not be there" sort of way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Redward wrote:
KamikazeJohnson wrote:

aaaaah, highschool. I have to say that this sounds hilarious in a "you had to not be there" sort of way.

He thought it was hilarious. I'm one of those "if we're here to play, let's PLAY" kind of gamers, PLUS we were supposedly on the same side, so I was ready to strangle him. I probably would have flipped the board on him if we hadn't been marginally winning. (The allies won that one eventually, not sure how...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newlyn Erratt
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had a lot of experiences of this when I played Magic. I started playing again a few years ago and quit because a large number of times when I won I was called, let's just say a racial slur referring to a race that is stereotyped as cheap, very loudly. Apparently in my area this is common and expected behavior so I just quit. Also had a large portion of my collection ruined when someone at a table near me lost a game and threw a drink across the room.

The worst though, was back in my original days of playing. We were playing a casual 3 player match and when I knocked a guy out he spit in my face. About five minutes later he came back and grabbed the back of my chair and yanked me over. I ended up having to go to the hospital after my head slammed into the concrete floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tohrm wrote:

The worst though, was back in my original days of playing. We were playing a casual 3 player match and when I knocked a guy out he spit in my face. About five minutes later he came back and grabbed the back of my chair and yanked me over. I ended up having to go to the hospital after my head slammed into the concrete floor.

Oh man, this was sad. What a psycho the guy was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newlyn Erratt
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
Tohrm wrote:

Oh man, this was sad. What a psycho the guy was.

Yeah and it's definitely not everyone but I've found that tcg games seem to attract some very maladjusted people for some reason, perhaps all the money floating around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tohrm wrote:
I've had a lot of experiences of this when I played Magic. I started playing again a few years ago and quit because a large number of times when I won I was called, let's just say a racial slur referring to a race that is stereotyped as cheap, very loudly. Apparently in my area this is common and expected behavior so I just quit. Also had a large portion of my collection ruined when someone at a table near me lost a game and threw a drink across the room.

I hope you filed assault charges? I sure would've.
You actually can file battery charges even for someone just spitting in your face, much less the head-to-the-concrete thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.