Subject: Do i even want to play ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Poulin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know i cant be the only one that feels this way !!
I have been in the board game/card game hobby for quite a long time and i have collected a nice little collection of games that are fantastic........ So how come i never get to play them??

I research for hours and hours on end on this website which by the way is the best thing since hot and cold running water.
And i look at all the new shiny games coming out and even ones that have been out that i dont own yet.

I read the rules i set up the boards i set up scenarios, I marvel at the spledor before me then i put it back in the box.

I really love my games and i really want to play them.
Time and the availability of players is always an issue, but sometimes i think i might just like the process of researching the games and buying them. more than actually playing... Can this be true???

What say you fellow Geekers?? Toxicjedi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This is me almost exactly. Playing is somehow oddly less important than collecting and researching games.

Granted a lack of time or groups to play helps create the problem, but even still, owning and knowing about games is at least 60% of my obsession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willifred Lewis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
All right, I've kinda had this problem, but mostly because I can't find people to play with.

Maybe another good question would be what would you want a FLGS to do to help you find players, seeings as how you have one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Do i even want to play ??? what? "Like" in the back of a VW?
'moi' SEZ thus: 1st!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

sauron
wow ~GROG's"NUTS!" SEZ: "if at first you shan't 'proceed', then 'decry, decry' yet some M-O-R-E-?..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This very true of me as i will constantly look over my games as if i am a museum curator and then...instead of pulling one down and playing it i return to the captains chair for additional research Ha ha ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no choice but to come out and say...

Same here. :[

Especially this, by Jason Fordham,

"Playing is somehow oddly less important than collecting and researching games."

But also a bit of this, by Willifred Lewis,

"...but mostly because I can't find people to play with."

I am happy to say, though, that it isn't so much of a disappointment when I accept it and continue to enjoy (and grow) my collection. :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. It's really sad. I have way more games than I have time to play (and I have PLENTY of time to play games). My collection churns so much and I lose money. I love reading about new games. I love imagining what the mechanisms of play would be. I love finding some old gem that nobody's ever heard of, but turns out to be great, or being the first to hear about an upcoming game that everyone will be excited for. It's insane. I've been trying to work on it for a while now. There are times when I don't even feel like playing games, so I'll leave game night early. What do I do as soon as I get home? Check BGG, of course. And see what new auctions are running, or what new additions to uber-cool geeklists have come up. This really can't be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the CAGE tool was originally for alcoholics but I find it modifies well for BGGaholics and game collect-aholics:

C - Have you ever thought you should CUT DOWN on your BGG/collecting?

A - Have you ever felt ANNOYED by others' criticism of your BGG/collecting?

G - Have you ever felt GUILTY about your BGG/collecting?

E - Do you have a morning EYE OPENER of BGG/collecting?

If so, then you need to have a gaming intervention and spend some quality time with people PLAYING your games. Or talking. Or even karaoke, whatever floats your boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamer's Prayer

God, grant me the willpower
To ignore the games I will not play;
Time to play the games I will;
And wisdom to know the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Admit you are powerless over your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoying the acquisition, research, rule reading etc... is rewarding in on itself. Unless you are compulsively spending more than what you can budget, I would not think this is bad. I personally buy every game with the intention of playing it (no matter how obscure or hard to come by it is), but I know plenty of people that are happy having shrink copies of hard to find games. Try and expand your circle of acquaintances. "Pimp" your games, sort them etc ... all those things add value to the past time and provide the ultimate goal which is something that relaxes and causes joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering a personal rule of: "I can only buy new games when all the games I own have at least one play." I do have a regular gaming group, and good chances to play any game I get, so it wouldn't be a total bottleneck. When I consider new purchases, though, it will focus me on things that I will actually get use out of.

Possible other exceptions to the rule:

- Games bought before a certain period don't count; it's not ex post facto.
- An exception can be made for games that are very rare and likely to be unavailable soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reality is that you need know your audience and buy accordingly. I have 3 different groups I play with. One has some fairly hardcore gamers that will play just about anything but they also buy a lot of games. The other two I actually play with more often and they tend to like lighter games that take max 1.5hs.

I think you can probably tell where I am going with this...I discovered early on that it doesn't make any sense buying the games that turn my crank if they don't also turn the crank of the people I play with the most. I wasted a lot of money on games I LOVED but my main two groups just hated. So rather than getting to play Cuba or Taluva or Small World they want to play Dominion or Ticket to Ride. As a result I have drastically changed my buying strategy. Rather than buying games the scratch my personal itches I look for games I know that I can get my group to play that may not be the exact game I want but that I am happy to play.

What I have found is that by buying games that are lighter in weight but use mechanics in the games I really want I can ease my friends into the games I really want. Great example is that I was able to work them into Power Grid, it took a little time but by increasing the complexity of the games slightly each time I was able to get them closer to the games I want to play.

Too often I think that we get caught up in the hype of new games and lose sight of the important thing...how often will you get it to the table. You just need to make sure that the lighter weight games you get have the ability to be played with more or less strategy so that as your friends get into it more they will look for the deeper level within the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
C - Have you ever thought you should CUT DOWN on your BGG/collecting?

A - Have you ever felt ANNOYED by others' criticism of your BGG/collecting?

G - Have you ever felt GUILTY about your BGG/collecting?

E - Do you have a morning EYE OPENER of BGG/collecting?

No, no, no, and no.

I'm in control of my board-game addiction...

No, really! I am!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you enjoy reading the rules? Do you enjoy setting up the scenarios? Is that worth $50? Then no problem! I too am mostly in this position, but they are still beautiful things to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.