BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: How Twilight is Wrecking the Youth of America rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Or yet another example of small-town dumb and dumber. The school might have a point if she's delivered a profanity-laced speech instead of a single four-letter word routinely yelled from the pulpit on Sundays. This screams of Mrs. Jones in the second row (who probably reads Twilight in her bookclub or during her weekly bath) complaining about poor Timmy subjected to such language.

Quote:
A high-achieving student from a small Oklahoma town has been denied her high school diploma, allegedly because she used the word “hell” in her valedictorian speech.

Kaitlin Nootbaar, 18, delivered the speech three months ago after graduating from high school in the community of Prague, according to KFOR-TV.

Nootbaar’s father David said she borrowed a line in her speech from one delivered in Eclipse, a movie from the Twilight Saga series.

“Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said how the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times,’” David said.

Nootbaar, who maintained a 4.0 GPA, had planned on saying “heck” in the speech but instead said “hell,” her father told KFOR-TV.

They didn’t know Nootbaar’s choice of word was a problem until she went to her former school to retrieve her diploma, only to find out the principal planned to withhold it until the teenager issued an apology. At the time of the speech, the audience reacted warmly.

Nootbaar doesn’t plan to apologize and her father says he is outraged.

“She earned that diploma. She completed all the state curriculum. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight As and had a 4.0 the whole way through,” he told the TV station.

The school has so far refused to comment, calling the situation “confidential.”

The plight of Nootbaar, who is about to start classes at university on a full scholarship, has caught the attention of the online community. Campaigns pushing for the school to give Nootbaar her diploma have popped up on Facebook and Twitter.

The Facebook group is calling for the resignation of the school superintendent, claiming the refusal to hand over Nootbaar’s diploma is a violation of her constitutional rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I thought Sparkly Vampires was the end of modern fiction as I knew it back in 2010.

Then I found out that 50 Shades of Grey originated as Twilight FANFIC!!!!

gulpgulpgulpgulpgulp

Then, my cynical armour of indifference kicked back in and I got another shot of vodka from the fridge.

I hope that the young lady in question gets her diploma, but I also hope she gets a noogie for quoting TWILIGHT for her Commencement speech.

I mean, come on- making uplifting quotes for Commencement is why we put up with Maya Angelou.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
chaendlmaier wrote:
I don't think getting through high school is an achievement really, so why the need to celebrate it anyway? It's something that spilled over to Germany as well, so my school year had a fancy ball with lots of self-congratulating and other snobbery.

I'm thinking she might want the diploma for like college and stuff. Or she could buy 50 cats and live in small mobile home in Prague---the OK version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is government again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
quozl wrote:

Not Twilight? You're no fun. Anarchist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
quozl wrote:

Anarchists are no fun? That's a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
quozl wrote:
she2 wrote:
quozl wrote:

Only if they can dance.

At least, that's what 'V' said.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
quozl wrote:

The ones that hang around our train station tend to not appreciate people who don't fit their conventions.

Conventional anarchists? You guys are blowing my mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honey Badger don't care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
I don't think getting through high school is an achievement really, so why the need to celebrate it anyway? It's something that spilled over to Germany as well, so my school year had a fancy ball with lots of self-congratulating and other snobbery.

I'm thinking she might want the diploma for like college and stuff. Or she could buy 50 cats and live in small mobile home in Prague---the OK version.

It does mention she is already enrolled in university with scholarships, so I don't know if it will be a big deal or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
she2 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

It does mention she is already enrolled in university with scholarships, so I don't know if it will be a big deal or not.

It's on the internet. So it's a pretty big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Times change. The vices of your age are stylish today.

-Aristophanes, The Clouds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever, and if you say 'hell' in your valedictory speech you will undoubtedly learn that last bit firsthand." --Aristophanes and Me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
My Valedictorian quoted DMX. Par for the course really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever, and if you say 'hell' in your valedictory speech you will undoubtedly learn that last bit firsthand." --Aristophanes and Me

I have been persuaded by RSP that not every stupid person learns of his or her stupidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quozl wrote:
she2 wrote:
quozl wrote:

Haters gonna hate. Truth is,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

I used to think that too, until I realized that on my mom's side of the family my brother and I were the third and fourth people of 8 kids, 8 spouses, and 14 grandkids to earn high school diplomas. My aunt finished her GED a few years ago to become the fifth. For some people it's still a big milestone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

I used to think that too, until I realized that on my mom's side of the family my brother and I were the third and fourth people of 8 kids, 8 spouses, and 14 grandkids to earn high school diplomas. My aunt finished her GED a few years ago to become the fifth. For some people it's still a big milestone.

My brother, sister, and I were first in our family.

BTW - you should really be proud of the MBA. You are an extreme outlier to skip that far ahead education-wise; job well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

My brother, sister, and I were first in our family.

BTW - you should really be proud of the MBA. You are an extreme outlier to skip that far ahead education-wise; job well done.

On my dad's side everyone has a college education and two of his siblings have master's degrees. I'm not that much of an outlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

BTW - you should really be proud of the MBA.

Pssssshhhhhhhhhyeah. With an MBA, six dollars, a book of matches, a can of WD-40, and a roll of twine I could probably do something pretty cool, but the MBA wouldn't be one of the more important contributing components to the achievement of said cool thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

It's really a shame that their brand of snobbery and yours don't get along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

After all almost half of Germans get a diploma from a gymnasium (highest of three branches in Germany). (that's the only flavor of high school that we have).

I think a good argument could be made that we need to have more vocational training for our students instead of having (almost) everyone on college track, but we don't now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

BTW - you should really be proud of the MBA.

Pssssshhhhhhhhhyeah. With an MBA, six dollars, a book of matches, a can of WD-40, and a roll of twine I could probably do something pretty cool, but the MBA wouldn't be one of the more important contributing components to the achievement of said cool thing.

Well, at least the MBA should help with monetizing it -- then you could have a little street stand where we could invest to see you do more and more cool things.

*I hope you are referencing tying the push-button on the WD-40 can down, lighting the ensuing stream and then twirling it over you head with the remaining twine, like a flaming bolo whip ala Tygra from Thundercats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

*I hope you are referencing tying the push-button on the WD-40 can down, lighting the ensuing stream and then twirling it over you head with the remaining twine, like a flaming bolo whip ala Tygra from Thundercats

My program doesn't get to that class until next semester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.