4 Posts

Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding taking gold in the game.

When taking gold, does the player choose what denomination to take? For instance, when I am to get 4 gold do I take two 2's, a 3 and a 1, 4 ones, or a 2 and 2 ones? You get more cards in your hand when taking 4 ones as opposed to just getting 2 cards via some of the other combinations. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the number of cards rule eliminated, I would say it doesn't matter. My house rule is that if any of the piles runs out, all players have to return one or more to the pile to make change. So if the 1s run out, each player who can needs to return a number of the 1s to get that number in a single card. Also, if a larger card runs out, change must be made by all to a lower denomination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The spirit of the rule is to not hoard any one denomination. This is the one part of the rules that I am trying to make into a rule again, after having dropped the hand limit rule. See "Official" hand limit rule change. But I'm not sue yet how to word it.

In the end, however, I don't think it matters anymore without the hand limit rule. One could take a lot of ones and use them to bluff during the auction by putting down a lot of cards, but I guess that strategy might also backfire by leading others to bid higher and then win the auction. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a way to address the wording of a new rule on this could be:

"For EACH denomination of gold cards in hand, once a denomination exceeds '10' by ONE CARD of that denomination, then no more cards of that denomination may be taken. If a card of a particular denomination is taken for any reason, and you already have cards exceeding a value of '10' in that denomination, then you must immediately make change with other values so that no denomination exceeds a value of '10' by more than one card in your hand. You may only have 11 "Value One" cards, 6 "Value Two" cards, 4 "Value Three" cards, 3 "Value Five" cards and 2 "Value Ten" cards, unless you cannot make change in any legal way."

So the most you could ever have is 26 cards totaling 70 gold.

I've played 6 times now, from 3 to 5 players and we've been playing without the hand limit rule as you've suggested, and it works fine.

But, I do see the value in having some kind of card hoarding prevention.

What I wrote above is wordy, but I hope it gets the idea across.

I haven't playtested this yet, but I saw this thread and quickly envisioned this possible solution.

Hope this helps... love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.