Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fábio Fontes
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
What do ye know, one of the game artists makin' a thread in here!

So yeah, the thread title says it all. I don't think there's one of these around, and no, I'm not making this thread just for kicks.

I'd like to get some data on what BattleCON characters are the most popular, and not necessarily gameplay-wise. Visual appearance, role in the story, whatever the reason may be. And of course, feel free to mention more than one, if you can't make up your mind.

So there. Looking forward to know the results on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Moos
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the names extremly hard to remember. But my favourite is the sharp shooter guy. Rukyuk? Or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, Khadath. I enjoy his Gate Trap.

The comic book intro that teaches you how to play in the beginning of the rulebook is what got me into him. His Evacuation (move back + lay a trap) move on Hikaru just seemed so slick. (actually, that comic got me into the game period)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite character to play is Luc Von Gott. But for visual style, you can't beat Tatsumi Nuoc and her tiny panda bear, Juto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as playstyle:
Heketch followed by Hepzibah and Cadenza. (I like Vanaah, Shekhtur, Eligor, Luc, and Hikaru as well)

As far as Art alone:
Heketch is the my absolute favorite in both the original and alternate art sets. I also love Vanaah in both sets and Hepzibah's original portrait. Both Eligor and Shekhtur from the next set are also awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can make a vote?
My favourite: Zaamassal Kett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Which is your favorite character to play?
Cadenza
Hikaru Sorayama
Kallistar Flarechild
Khadath Ahemusei
Cherri Seneca
Demitras Denigrande
Regicide Heketch
Hepzibah Culotre
Kehrolyn Ross
Lixis Ran Kanda
Luc Von Gott
Magdelina Larington
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Sagas Seities
Seth Cremmul
Tatsumi Nuoc (and Juto!)
Vaanah Kalmor
Zaamassal Kett
2. Which character has the best art?
Cadenza
Hikaru Sorayama
Kallistar Flarechild
Khadath Ahemusei
Cherri Seneca
Demitras Denigrande
Regicide Heketch
Hepzibah Culotre
Kehrolyn Ross
Lixis Ran Kanda
Luc Von Gott
Magdelina Larington
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Sagas Seities
Seth Cremmul
Tatsumi Nuoc (and Juto!)
Vaanah Kalmor
Zaamassal Kett
3. Which character has the best backstory?
Cadenza
Hikaru Sorayama
Kallistar Flarechild
Khadath Ahemusei
Cherri Seneca
Demitras Denigrande
Regicide Heketch
Hepzibah Culotre
Kehrolyn Ross
Lixis Ran Kanda
Luc Von Gott
Magdelina Larington
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Sagas Seities
Seth Cremmul
Tatsumi Nuoc (and Juto!)
Vaanah Kalmor
Zaamassal Kett
      37 answers
Poll created by kurthl33t
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artifice Knight
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Fun question!

As for funnest to play, Tatsumi/Juto, Rukyuk, Khadath, Hikaru and Cherri all make very strong appearances. They all play completely different games with different focuses, but its fun to get into their heads-little is more entertaining then faking out someone who expects a sniper and defends themselves with a reload, or to stop a charging enemy with a gate trap. I haven't found any that are especially frustrating to play, though I do tend to pick up Sagas, Seth, and Hepzibah only if I feel like I should give them another try (this thought process rarely ends well).

For story purposes though, a lot of those items switch. Hepzibah has one of the most fun stories as a healer gone *very* bad, and Luc being a time traveler come forward to help keep the world safe is just fun. Cherri being the plaything of a mystical outsider (who I hope we get to see more of in Devastation) is cool-but hands down the *best* backstory goes to Sagas. A shapeshifter who saw the first battle, is choosing to emulate one of the heroes by making sure Rexan gets resurrected so he can beat him is quite frankly brilliant. The weakest stories from that arc were Khadaths and Hikaru's-neither seemed to be very interconnected with anything that was going on or any of the big three storylines that seemed to dominate the game (Tatsumi suffers from this too, but makes up for it by seeming like something of an ecoterrorist).

For artwork, this was one of the more divisive aspects of the game. Some art that looks absolutely stunning (like Tatsumi) end up looking different enough from the majority of the others that it actually gets a bit distracting. My favorite though tends to be the lightly anime style that Demitras, Rukyuk, Cherri and Vanaah all get-semi realism with anime highlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fábio Fontes
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Nate! I really need to know how to work with these forums. And thanks to everyone contributing with their opinions. Keep 'em comin'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly a tight race right now, with only 9 votes and very little overlap, but I am gratified that I'm not the only one with a love of Luc Von Gott.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Kehrol, both and gameplay and art, even though any char but Cherry is enjoyable to me. About background, the servants of evil, specially Zaam, are my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zabrowski
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay wise, my girls Tatsumi and Vaanah I like a lot, with Rukyuk and Claus and Wyndhal very close behind.

From a story view, Hepzibah and Magdelina are great, while Cadenza is just kind of boring. I guess there's only so much you can do with a fighting robot's backstory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I the only one who likes to play with Hep?

And her art. Looooooooooooove her art.
(And yet have a very strong dislike of her official alt-art)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
Why am I the only one who likes to play with Hep?

And her art. Looooooooooooove her art.
(And yet have a very strong dislike of her official alt-art)

Hepzibah is my second favorite after Heketch. I also love her original art and dislike her alternate art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had chance to play too many games, but I enjoyed Magdelina and Rukyuk quite a lot...

...and then I played Cherri and fell in love.

I apologise to my opponents, I think I spent most of the first game singing Trololol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Mage
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite play: Demitras (2nd choice Zaamassal)
My favourite art: Zaamassal (2nd choice Cherri)
My favourite story: Cherri (2nd choice Demitras)

I think this decides my 3 characters for my team. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually spent waaaaaaay too much time writing up how I felt about all the characters a few months ago here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/772622/who-are-your-favo...

I haven't had a chance to play much since then (since my main opponent was away at his internship all summer) so most of those opinions should still hold.

As for art, I originally only liked the characters drawn in the same style of Khadath, but it kind of grew on me to the point that currently I really like all of the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Christopherson
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you, Artifice Knight! Sagas is my creation. The posted backstory is a direct quote from the concept I sent Brad. I know he's not the easiest to use and even I don't think I've mastered him just yet, but it's good to know the concept comes across as compelling as I intended.

Looks like Brad might be doing more with my negaverse and the doppelgangers in the future, so keep on eye out!

Incidentally, I met Tatsumi's creators (husband and wife team, nice people). She's kind of a shout out to the tsunami/nuke disaster in Japan, which is why she doesn't tie in with the rest of the story. That said, Brad gets to keep the rights to the custom characters, so he can always do more with her island home of Condao if he wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.