Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else run into an issue with setting up the Breakout at Klin scenario in the EF expansion pack? I had a heck of a time and ended up substituting winter wood tiles for some hills with forests because it seemed every tile needed ended up being on the back of another tile that was needed. The winter villages, hills with forests, hills with villages, and particularly the curved frozen river hexes were limiting factors. I've never had an issue like this with any other Memoir scenarios, but as I've noticed some misprints in the Stalingrad scenario (says 10 hills, but you need 11), I'm wondering if this is another DoW slip. Anyone?

--kMs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I just ran into that Klin scenario set up problem yesterday. I finally found what I needed, but it took a lot of turning tiles over. If memory serves, I had to forgo two of the four snow villages, since what was on the reverse of them were terrain types I needed elsewhere. So I used two more "summer" villages from the base set than what the scenario said to make everything come out right.

Usually they do a very good job of putting the terrain tiles down the page in proper selection order. Normally if you do it in that order things turn out fine. I think this time they messed up.

And yes, today I noticed the "11 hills, instead of 10" mistake in the Red Barricades Factory scenario when I set it up.

A related observation: I found zero errors and had zero questions about the scenarios in the Terrain Pack. Yet there seems to be several errors and a multitude of questions about the scenarios (minefields, engineers, trains, tanks in bunkers, blowing bridges, snipers, victory point villages, etc.) in the Eastern Front expansion. It seems to me the Eastern Front scenarios weren't blind play tested/reviewed adequately.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate the play testers may have had the designer sitting with them to explain things. And some of those things never made it into the rule book. Therefore, within a day of people (we, who don't have Mr. Borg at our elbow) getting the expansions there has been a constant and ongoing barrage of questions about the new rules, scenarios and how certain cards interact with the new rules, on the Days of Wonder/Memoir '44 web site. To DoW and Mr. Borg's credit these questions are being answered as they come in. A percentage of this is inevitable with any new product. Yet it seems a lot of this confusion should have been nipped in the bud with better quality control up front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I got this response from DOW. I should have posted here sooner and saved you some time Keith (& Michael) - sorry about that, but you seem to have decided on the "official" solution to the problem.

"The two hills with forest at the lower left corner should have been regular
forests. If you do this, then you will be fine. It does not change anything to
the scenario, as their effects are exactly similar. It seems that these were
changed at the last moment, and the Scenario Editor did not catch the problem."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.