Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I have become quite the fanboy of this game.

And yes I am a DBG appologist.

You tell us which one will it be in the coming months for you?

I will prob. try/buy both but my early money is on DC (naturally)

Poll
Which upcoming Deck Builder are you most looking forward to?
DC Comics Deck-Building Game
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game (Marvel DBG)
Other (please post below with your answer)
      77 answers
Poll created by GeekJock
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, aside from the fact that it's a deckbuilding game with a popular license, what do you see as note-worthy merits of the DC DBG?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my fav DBG (presently) is Ascension.

It has a few things in common with it, but mainly the variable middle cards available for purchase in a given turn.

I also liked the idea of going after a Super Villain "stack". Basically there is one exposed at all times and you are trying to build up enough power to take them out before the other heroes do. You can also go about the strategy of getting some other villains into your deck to hinder your opponents (think dominion attack cards--- make then discard cards for example).

I also like the variable player powers each hero gives it's owner in a game. It's something I have always loved in games and glad it's in this one, helping with theme.

And of course the DC license. I love seeing all the cards and powers and villains (There is even a bunch of the suicide squad in the game!) and trying to get them to work off each other.

I will agree with a buddy of mine who called it a very light, and quick DBG but an awfully fun one (I am taking a slight bit of liberty with the exact quoting so shoot me )


Again it's not to discount Legendary, I think it's too much like Thunderstone, and I am WAAAYYY burnt out on TS. (But hey I am sure I will still try it!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting both, but I'm most looking forward to Arctic Scavengers. I'm hoping the inclusion of the first expansion fixes the game.

Out of these two, I'm most excited for DC. Part of it is the art. Marvel is all brand new art, and I haven't seen any from comic artists I recognize.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:
I also like the variable player powers each hero gives it's owner in a game. It's something I have always loved in games and glad it's in this one, helping with theme.


Interesting that you're feeling the theme, because I'm feeling a disconnect from the theme with the DC game. Aquaman can "buy" a Batcave and a golden lasso? Not cool. Really dislike Ascension too as it comes across as a deckbuilder with training wheels so likening DC to it doesn't help. I'm still watching and waiting right now, but DC is fading fast with me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the previews I've seen, Legendary is much much more interesting to me. I already own Ascension, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Nightfall, Resident Evil and Puzzle Strike in the DBG-esque genre. Already the only ones that still hit the table with any regularity are Ascension and BB:TM. The DC game is probably very hot for people who don't already own Ascension, but I think it's way too close in concept. I've already skipped Rune Age, Dominion, Thunderstone and a lot of clones because I couldn't justify spending money on them.

The Marvel game though seems like it has a really cool twist to it and is probably going to feel fresh for my group. I like the coop aspect to it. Also, from a theme standpoint, Marvel > DC without a doubt, and in fact with regard to the game mechanics themselves it seems that Legendary hits the thematic tone much better than the DC DBG. Now if Cryptozoic had come up with a Batman-only themed game (based around the movie franchise or the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City properties... because it's the only good things that ever came out of DC comics) and if they hadn't simply done a poor reskin of concepts from other games, then I might have been a little more torn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Now if Cryptozoic had come up with a Batman-only themed game (based around the movie franchise or the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City properties... because it's the only good things that ever came out of DC comics) and if they hadn't simply done a poor reskin of concepts from other games, then I might have been a little more torn.


LOL! You asked for it...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127129/batman-arkham-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
From the previews I've seen, Legendary is much much more interesting to me. I already own Ascension, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Nightfall, Resident Evil and Puzzle Strike in the DBG-esque genre. Already the only ones that still hit the table with any regularity are Ascension and BB:TM. The DC game is probably very hot for people who don't already own Ascension, but I think it's way too close in concept. I've already skipped Rune Age, Dominion, Thunderstone and a lot of clones because I couldn't justify spending money on them.

The Marvel game though seems like it has a really cool twist to it and is probably going to feel fresh for my group. I like the coop aspect to it. Also, from a theme standpoint, Marvel > DC without a doubt, and in fact with regard to the game mechanics themselves it seems that Legendary hits the thematic tone much better than the DC DBG. Now if Cryptozoic had come up with a Batman-only themed game (based around the movie franchise or the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City properties... because it's the only good things that ever came out of DC comics) and if they hadn't simply done a poor reskin of concepts from other games, then I might have been a little more torn.



Dominion is the best deck building game so far. Though base game is kinda simple. Best when combined with at least one expansion.

Ascension is second but it gets better with each stand-alone expansion.

I have blood bowl but I am yet to play it. It's hard to get it on the table. Lots of rules to cover and such. And I fear my group won't like the randomness.

Nightfall is fun but we rarely play it. I'm more likely to continue playing it on my ipad.

Thunderstone base game is kinda meh for me now. Takes too long to play for what it's worth. And dungeon math is a little annoying sometimes. I think there's a good reason Dominion settles for just 1 money type and few cost modifiers. Alchemy set presents another money type but you only ever need one potion at a time. I do hear that Thunderstone Advance is good though and I will play thunderstone on my ipad.


This DC comics deck builder reminds me of ascension + thunderstone's dungeon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't like Dominion because I don't like having all the cards up front. That's pretty much my main issue with RE and Nightfall. Puzzle Strike is a better Dominion than Dominion anyway.

I like Ascension's drafting-like system better. DC DBG will have something similar, and so will Legendary, though I like Legendary's system better because it splits villains and heroes thematically into two different rows of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like that the villain is no different than a piece of equipment. I don't understand how Batman buys a magic lasso and Bane.

I get how the supervillains work, but the basic villain seems no different than any other card.

The marvel game seems to differentiate this a little better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension is boring and random(to a fault). If this game is anything like Ascension, I am definitely staying away.

Cryptozoic has another DBG called 3012 that is releasing in September. It looks really interesting. It seems to fix some of the problems that other DBGs have while adding some new twists.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary. Even the name is more interesting. And yeah, Aquaman using the bat suit? It's just wrong. Still, I'm glad to see more licenses jumping on board DBGs because I enjoy them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
3012.

Legendary looks amazing though, and is easily second place (for coming up Deckbuilders).

What I really want though, is Shadowrift.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.