Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
so all you need is a spirit hero in each deck, and a way to get two songs in play and a wandering took in play....hmmmmm.....shouldn't be toooo difficult. Nothing beats instant secrecy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
If both players commit to playing this combo, then you can put 3 Tooks in each deck. Should be pretty simple to get going from there.
Add 6 Resourceful and that alone probably makes it worth it :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I can see, the song only ever lets you decrease your partners threat by a single point after it has just increased.Just because your partners threat changes once due to wandering took, you can't then trigger the response on the song multiple times.

So if both players have thirty threat, player one passes wandering took to his partner, and his partners song then triggers. Threat is then 32 for player one, 28 for player two. So you can't move in and out of secrecy without very low threat in the first place.

Is the idea to get three tooks in play? If so, it's not a very useful combo without massive card draw or luck. I might well be missing something obvious though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
TheLastBert wrote:
As far as I can see, the song only ever lets you decrease your partners threat by a single point after it has just increased.Just because your partners threat changes once due to wandering took, you can't then trigger the response on the song multiple times.

So if both players have thirty threat, player one passes wandering took to his partner, and his partners song then triggers. Threat is then 32 for player one, 28 for player two. So you can't move in and out of secrecy without very low threat in the first place.

Is the idea to get three tooks in play? If so, it's not a very useful combo without massive card draw or luck. I might well be missing something obvious though.

No, the idea is to use the Took over and over again.

After you used the Song once, your partner sends the Took back to you. Now you send the Took over again and trigger the song for the second time. Now he gives the Took back (again). And rinse and repeat. It is the Tooks ability that you are going to use over and over. Everytime you use it you can trigger the song once resulting in +1/-1 (or -1/+1 after the 2nd song is in play)

Hope that clarifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great article - thanks. I've seen this deck in action, and it is pretty great. Building two decks full of secrecy cards could really allow players to capitalize on this. I sense an errata in the future, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
polychrotid wrote:
I've seen this deck in action

Most importantly the game we played was pretty fun ;)

And I totally agree, if both players commit to that strategy, you can make some strong plays, like bringing all enemies to one side then play Out of Sight for a couple of turns. Or just use O Elbereth Gilthonial with surgical precision and what have you.

There is really something scary in having two decks in perma-secrecy wihtout any of the usual disadvantages (2 heroes). And while this combo takes a bit to set up, I too would not be surprised to see an errate of some sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
sirprim wrote:

No, the idea is to use the Took over and over again.

Ah ok, I missed that, thanks.

If this was going to be errated, I guess a once or twice per round limit on Wandering Took's ability would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.