Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter just started school, and her teacher had a bunch of sign ups for things parents could contribute to the classroom, she called it a "wishlist".

One of the choices was "educational board game"... but I'm at a loss as to what games to get that fulfill this role, any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the teacher about specific game titles (there must be something the teacher has in mind) then offer the teacher board game suggestions that you know are outstanding for children.

You're a good parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with asking the teacher.

The first thing that comes to my mind is Rory's Story Cubes. It is a great game I've played with my 1st grader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out the games by Haywire Group. I saw them last year at GenCon and bought a couple of games for my pre-schooler and he loved them - we still play them almost every day.

They were also at GenCon this year with some new games and they have a couple more that will be releasing soon.

Their website is: http://www.haywiregroup.com/products.htm

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
My daughter just started school, and her teacher had a bunch of sign ups for things parents could contribute to the classroom, she called it a "wishlist".

One of the choices was "educational board game"... but I'm at a loss as to what games to get that fulfill this role, any ideas?

I'm just curious: Is the teacher expecting that a game be provided, or donated to the classroom?

The reason I ask is that when our kids were in a public elementary school (they are now adults), we were given a list of things to provide to the classroom, and the list included boxes of tissues, reems of construction paper, glue, and other materials. These were not for our students personal use, but for the class as a whole. And I know from teachers I've spoken to that they often buy materials out of their own pockets for the class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Rory's Story cubes is a hit, though it often devolves to utter silliness, which may not be what the teacher's looking for.

We also had some luck with The Scrambled States of America.

And when they had boardgame day (during the mandatory last few days of the year after all testing is complete), our daughter wanted to play Scrabble, but no one else could follow well enough. They all enjoyed Apples to Apples Junior. And, while that may not be my favorite game, I'd have to argue that it is (as are all these) educational. Not always in the measured and quantified state, but if the teacher understands the various forms of intelligence, then she should accept any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I agree that Rory's Story cubes is a hit, though it often devolves to utter silliness, which may not be what the teacher's looking for.

We also had some luck with The Scrambled States of America.

And when they had boardgame day (during the mandatory last few days of the year after all testing is complete), our daughter wanted to play Scrabble, but no one else could follow well enough. They all enjoyed Apples to Apples Junior. And, while that may not be my favorite game, I'd have to argue that it is (as are all these) educational. Not always in the measured and quantified state, but if the teacher understands the various forms of intelligence, then she should accept any of those.
Chris if you want my Apples to Apples Kids copy, you can have it. I was going to get rid of it anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The teacher could want games that can be used in class (sometimes with modifications) with teacher moderation, or during rainy day recesses or "reward time" with little supervision.

I would recommend things from Haba, including any of the "Orchard" or "Animal Upon Animal" games.

The Orchard games are cooperative games that help students to learn colors and practice memory skills.

The Animal Upon Animal games allow students to practice fine motor skills.

Here's what I tell parents about the games I use in my summer games class for 1st and 2nd grade students:
Quote:
Age appropriate activities and games including some active games from above, and board card games from America and Europe (France and Germany), that teach players to follow rules, take turns, pay attention, plan ahead/think strategically, use basic math and reading skills, compete respectfully (or, in some case, to cooperate to beat the game), and that practice hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. These games include:
"Animal Upon Animal", "Orchard", "Orchard Memory", "Wild Vikings", "Bug Out", "Monster Mashup", Uno, and Jenga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
My child is around this age. I think games for young children should also be about following the rules (which should be easy to learn and understand), good sportsmanship and having social fun. Ask the teacher if games like Parcheesi, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Dominoes, Uno etc. would work. I think kids find playing 'educational' games more acceptable if the like playing games in general first (talking board games here - it is easy to get kids to play video and computer games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan, that would be great

Everyone else thank you for the suggestions, this is perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.