Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess one of the main reasons I consider myself more of a miniature gamer than a board gamer is that I like the visual appeal of the miniatures on the gaming table, and I also try to use miniatures in board games. B17QotS is no exception. In fact, a very long time ago I began collecting 1:144 scale aircraft for my B17QotS game. I even gathered stuff so that I could play the variants with miniatures (see pic below). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else uses scale model aircraft when playing B17QotS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had plans of doing this with miniatures and bought a lot of 1/144 figthers and bombers, but I never got around to assemble and paint the bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have played with minis for B-17:QotS. Below is my first run at developing a base system and plane. I will have to take pictures of the final product and post here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, yes, it would be neat to see the final product. I remember when you first posted that 3D computer rendering.

Also need to fire off an email/PM to you about jumping in on one of those B17QotS campaigns. Not right now, but hopefully soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael white
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I got me a 1/72 B-17G and a Me109 as a start to visualising the QOTS.They await my attention.Sitting there on my desk.Pleading to be brought to life.
Yours look good fellas.I note the Lancaster bomber and Jim yours is looking great.
It has been ages since I involved myself in model kits....in fact it would have been my childhood! surprise...thinking about it am I regressing!!!??? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
The game was originally demoed with miniatures by the designer at Origins 81 or 82 back before AH picked it up. I seem to remember he was using 1/72 scale stuff. My friend instantly bought a copy, I foolishly didn't and then had to wait impatiently for AH to publish their version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Plunk
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

Ahh, Man O' War, you beat me to it! That foto is from a group of guys from Central Cali playing in one of my B-17 games at one of the game cons in the SF Bay area(either ConQuest SF or Kublacon - year unknown).

They took the playing surface I use and transposed it to a piece of vinyl. They use 1/300th A/C.

Rally Point Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael white
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like,like,like,,,thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it and want it!

I wonder about the red and green lines.
Black must be for the B-17s and red and green for the fighters, but why is there two colors for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Love it and want it!

I wonder about the red and green lines.
Black must be for the B-17s and red and green for the fighters, but why is there two colors for them?

I think these are to help determine what bomber is being attacked by what enemy fighter. Even though the #3 bomber rolled up a fighter from the 9 o'clock it another bomber is in the way first it will attract the attention of said fighter! Is this corret Ron!?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ahh, Man O' War, you beat me to it! That foto is from a group of guys from Central Cali playing in one of my B-17 games at one of the game cons in the SF Bay area(either ConQuest SF or Kublacon - year unknown).

They took the playing surface I use and transposed it to a piece of vinyl. They use 1/300th A/C.

Ron,

You are correct. That is our group the Central Valley Wargamers playing at your mega game a few years back at ConQuest 2005.

I ended up getting the Broken Wing medal in that game as my B-17 got shot up badly on the way to the target. I dropped out of formation and headed home. On the way back I got attacked repeatedly and lost two engines and my co-pilot. Over the channel we lost our radio and the cabin heat. I had to make some special roll to see if I crashed upon landing, but miraculously - we made it!

Always enjoy playing in your big Con-event game...Great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to know more about the 'board' - lines, colours, letters, what are they for and how do they work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.